Welthungerhilfe Vacancy Announcement, April 22, 2023
Position: Nutrition Sector Manager
Location: Addis Ababa, with frequent travel to the project areas
Experience Level: Senior Level (7 years)
Number of Positions: Not Specified
Date of Announcement: April 20, 2023
Deadline: May 1, 2023
Organization Profile and Background
Welthungerhilfe/German Agro Action is an international NGO with Head-Quarter in Bonn and working in Africa, Asia, and Latin America. Welthungerhilfe/GAA is fighting to help free the world of hunger and poverty. This vision is the basis of our organization’s character and activities. Welthungerhilfe/GAA secure funds from private donations and international funding organizations, for example, EC, USAID, UN-OCHA, ECHO and German Government. We work in the sectors of Rural Development, WASH, Natural Resource Management and Social Development. Welthungerhilfe/GAA Ethiopia follows partnership approach for project planning, implementation, and administration with Ethiopia Partner-NGOs and in exceptional cases WHH/GAA implements projects by itself.
What We Offer
- A multicultural work environment where differences are accommodated
- A continuous learning culture
- Innovative and creative work practices
- Flexible work arrangements
- Attractive pay and benefit packages (life and medical insurance ,Provident fund & Pension)
- Working with an organizational philosophy: “help the poor to help themselves”
General Information· Duty station: Addis Ababa, with frequent travel to the project areas
· Job Title: Nutrition Sector Manager
· Reports to: Head of Programs
· Contract Period: Two years, with high possibility of extension.
1. Objectives of the position
The Nutrition Sector Manager will be based in Addis Ababa. Under the general direction and guidance of Head of Programs, the Nutrition sector manager will ensure that all food and nutrition security programming is of excellent technical quality, attracts donor funding and contributes significantly to national impact, learning, advocacy and programme development. In addition to advising on the nutritional component of Welthungerhilfe’s projects, the Nutrition sector manager will be expected to lead on sectoral assessment, including a contextual analysis of nutrition, project design and master budgeting, and coordination. The post holder is expected to provide technical advice and support to project staff to ensure programming objectives with regards to nutrition are successfully achieved. The post-holder shall also contribute to the implementation of the country strategy and actively lead in the development of nutrition security programming. In most circumstances, the post holder will be expected to mentor and/or provide capacity building for WHH and partner staffs.
2. Duties and area of responsibility
2.1.Duties with own area of responsibility
- Build up a nutrition security programme and ensure that nutrition security is central to Welthungerhilfe’s programming and country startegy.
- As part of the programme department, ensure all programme and project staff receive the necessary and appropriate technical support. In consultation with staff and project managers agree on the range of advice, support, training and/or other assistance required to facilitate high quality programming. This will involve regular visits to Welthungerhilfe’s operational areas.
- To lead in the preparation of situational/ context analyses, background information, policy formulations, establishing indicators, formative research, etc., in the area of Nutrition Security.
- Build on technical knowledge, latest research in the sector and current/previous programming to develop proposals for new programming in close coordination with the programme staff.
- Actively participate in key relevant internal meetings such as Senior Management Team or Area-based meetings as required.
- Participate in any Donor visit to project(s) within your portfolio as required.
- Lead on multi-sectoral / nutrition technical assessments in coordination with other WHH thematic areas and/or other external sector agencies, ensuring assessment findings are documented and that all assessments include a specific analysis of the needs of children and women of reproductive age (1,000 days).
- Working with the program team and partners to develop Nutrition security integration plans and master budgets and contribute to Welthungerhilfe’s overall Food and Nutrition Security strategy.
- Provide technical checking of Nutrition strategies, assessments and projects as necessary, and proactively promote high quality Nutrition technical approaches within country programmes.
- Working closely with relevant staff, initiate fundraising for the Nutrition sector, including development of high-quality concept notes and proposals, and engagement with donors’ technical Advisers and the WHH internal nutrition advisors.
- Prepare and oversee Nutrition programme implementation to ensure timely delivery of programme activities (for example, monitoring against log frames, individual performance management work plans).
- Review relevant monitoring reports to ensure that nutritional technical aspects are well articulated and captured.
- Identify learning and training opportunities for Welthungerhilfe staff and partners and work as a mentor and role model for staff less experienced in nutrition programming.
- Oversee development and deliver technical training material that will improve aspects of Nutrition work within Welthungerhilfe, at country level.
- Assist in the development of tools for project staff and partners to improve the quality of food and nutrition security work. Where necessary provide technical training for project staff and partners as required.
Representation & Advocacy & Organisational Learning:
- Ensure that Welthungerhilfe’s work is coordinated with efforts of other agencies and Government, and participate in the Nutrition technical forum.
- Take steps to document lessons learned, from Nutrition programmes, for wider dissemination.
- In collaboration with senior programme staff, assist in Nutrition advocacy activities that target decision-makers at all levels.
- To identify opportunities and material to contribute to Nutrition communications and media work, acting as a spokesperson when required.
- Facilitate sharing of experiences across the different Welthungerhilfe projects and contribute to sharing experience of the Kenya programme with other Welthungerhilfe country teams.
2.2 Duties without own area of responsibility
- Fulfillment of any other tasks which are assigned by the management and correspond in general with the character of this position
2.3 Specific activities and duties of the position / Position specific qualifications
To be filled in or described individually by the Country Director or immediate superior
- Manage and ensure quality implementation of specific projects with a focus on Nutrition
- Prepares status reports according to Welthungerhilfe standards or the rules of the donor
- Is responsible for bringing the project to an orderly conclusion
- Ensure that project related database is uploaded and kept up to date, consistent & correct.
Welthungerhilfe Vacancy Announcement 2023
1. Job requirement
- MSc in Nutrition, Public Health Nutrition, or a related field with relevant work experience
- Minimum of 7 years of experience, preferably in an international NGO setup.
- Significant experience in social and behavior change programming (design, implementation, various approaches), MYCIFP, nutrition-sensitive programming (e.g., agriculture, WASH, gender)
- Excellent understanding of National policies, programs, strategies and guidelines related to nutrition in Ethiopia
- Software: excellent MS Office: MS Word/ Excel/ Powerpoint/ Publisher
- Languages: fluent in English (written, spoken) and common local language
- Proposal writing: good analytical, conceptualization and articulation skills.
- Experience in nutrition assessments and indicators (MDDW, MAHFP, nutrition-sensitive programming), Nutrition context analysis
- Experience in nutrition coordination, processes such as SUN
Welthungerhilfe Vacancy Announcement 2023
How to Apply
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications are invited to submit updated CV (max. of 4 pages) and a short motivation letter to WHH Ethiopia through www.ethiojobs.net no later than May 1, 2023.
Note: Applicants are required to organize their documents (application letter, CV and other document) as a single document i.e. with the cover letter being on the first page and the CV and other credentials starting on the second page. They should also clearly indicate name of position at the subject line of their application letter, applicant who doesn’t follow the required application procedure will automatically be disqualified from the competition.
For more vacancy alerts like this Welthungerhilfe Vacancy Announcement, Join us on Telegram