JSI Vacancy Announcement, April 22, 2023
Position: HIS and Data Use Director
Location: Addis Ababa
Experience Level: Managerial Level (10 years)
Number of Positions: Not Specified
Date of Announcement: April 20, 2023
Deadline: April 30, 2023
SUMMARY STATEMENT OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Data Use Partnership Workstream 1: Enhancing National and Regional HIS Capacity, funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and implemented by JSI Research & Training Institute Inc., aims to support the MOH and RHBs coordinate with HIS stakeholders to implement the HIS strategy of Ethiopia’s Health Sector.
Embedded within Strategic Affairs Executive Office (SAEO) at MoH, the director will provide oversight, guidance, and strategic support in the implementation of key data use tasks at MoH and in the regions. S/he will coordinate DUP’s HIS support and maintain communication and a smooth working relationship between DUP, MoH and other stakeholders. S/he will work towards improving DUP’s visibility, socializing data use projects, and advocating the project’s efforts and achievements.
The position holder will lead and support the development of DUP’s data use- related strategic and operational plans and ensures that DUP’s planned activities are in line with the priorities of the health sector. S/he will ensure the quality and timeliness of work plan implementation and completion of activities within the budget. S/he will also play a crucial role in relationship building between DHLEO and SAEO and across the different offices at MoH.
S/he will be responsible for maintaining regular communications with regions and assist the day-to-day technical health information system related activities. He/ she will be a member of relevant high-level HIS coordination platforms including Technical Working Groups (TWGs) formed by MOH. S/he will act as a national master trainer for building the capacity of health managers and staff on health information system, data quality assurance, data analysis and information use.
As HIS and Data use director of DUP’s embedded staff within Strategic Affairs Executive Office (SAEO), the position holder will coordinate DUP’s support by closely working with the Minister’s office, executive office, case team and other team members including DUP’s staff. A few of the specific tasks in this regard include but not limited to; having a regular update with the leadership team, identify priorities and share to the DUP team, make sure DUP responds to the identified and agreed priorities, make sure DUP supported activities are owned and led by the directorate, participate in relevant meetings and promote DUP’s role and share outcomes of these meetings to the DUP team, supervise staff that are embedded within the office and provide the necessary support to them, serve as a link person between DUP’s central office team, regional team and SAEO. This position holder will serve as a member of DUP’s senior leadership team including approving payments and related documents as needed.
Detailed Responsibilities and Tasks:
I. Coordination/Managerial Roles
- Management of daily DUP activities within SAEO and ensuring successful achievement of the program goals
- Persistent follow-up with SAEO to obtain their response on communications made by DUP central office and to ensure that regular interface meetings are created between SAEO and DUP
- Monitor the interactions with SAEO to understand if the relationship is going well. Help facilitate the interaction between DUP central office, the Minister’s office and the SAEO and other relevant offices to keep the relationship healthy.
- Provide oversight, guidance and strategic support in the implementation of key data use tasks. Lead and support development of data use related strategic and operational plans of DUP and ensure that DUP’s planned activities are in line with the priorities of the health sector.
- Serve as DUP’s SAEO point person and work towards improving DUP’s visibility, socializing data use projects and recognition and maintaining smooth work relationship between DUP and MOH.
- Advocate DUP’s effort and achievements on every possible platform created within MOH
- Coordinate and maintain regular weekly and monthly meetings with DUP embedded staff at SAEO to make sure that every staff is optimally engaged and activities are planned and implemented in line with the bigger goal.
- Ensure quality and timeliness of work plan implementation and completion of activities within budget, and oversee risk assurance for program activities aligned with SAEO.
- Maintain communication with DUP’s embedded staff, and facilitate the flow of essential information among team members and with DUP central office.
- Play a crucial role in making sure a good interface between DHLEO and SAEO is created/maintained to facilitate joint development and implementation of activities.
- Monitor and manage effective and efficient utilization of budget allocated for aligned activities with SAEO and act timely in case of under and/or overspending.
- Compile, organize, develop and share periodic reports of the data use team.
- Ensure event (workshop, training, site visit) request forms are correct, complete and efficiently estimated. Also ensures event reports and trip reports are comprehensive and of the right quality and standard
II. Technical Roles
- Coordinates the different actors in the health sector to mobilize more resources and technical expertise to HIS.
- Provide programmatic guidance and technical assistance to strengthen data demand and use across all levels in the health system.
- Develop appropriate strategies and tools for strengthening the use of health data, identify data needs at different levels, and build capacity to implement.
- Facilitate the use of data through the application of innovative approaches at the national, regional, woreda, health facility, and community levels.
- Institutionalize systems and processed for data quality assurance and data use at SAEO and program units. This includes tailored dashboard to the leadership, data triangulation, in-depth analysis among others.
- Identify and mentor champions of information use at all levels and further develop their capacity as leaders for improving data-informed decision making.
- Facilitate the use of DHIS2 and other information system for data analysis, visualization, and decision making.
- Lead the IR model woreda creation initiative
- Identify, manage, package and disseminate key health information to facilitate evidence-based decision making at point of data collection.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the supervisor
JSI Vacancy Announcement 2023
- Master’s Degree in Health Informatics, Information Systems, or Public Health from a reputable University is required.
- Minimum 10 years’ professional experience in the Ethiopian health systems.
- Diverse set of professional experience both in government and non-government context; and at lower and higher level of the health care system required.
- Hands-on experience in HIS design and strong analytical and presentation skills with analysis of statistical significance or survey results.
- Experience working with MoH (mainly SAEO), RHBs, and local universities.
- Clear understanding of the Ethiopian health systems and national priorities.
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including presentation skills and the capacity to effectively work with multiple stakeholders within and outside Ethiopia.
- Recent engagement as a staff of the DUP project is a plus.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of company information
Both English and Amharic language skills required; additional local language is an asset.
JSI Vacancy Announcement 2023
How to Apply
- Qualified individuals interested in this position can send their documents to the following email: email@example.com
- Applications should be sent via email with the subject line: ” HIS and Data Use Director [Name of Applicant]” ·
- All application documents should be combined into one PDF file, the cover letter being the first page followed by the CV (resume) and other documents if any.
- Please provide us three names with their contact addresses as references.
- Send only one attachment with the file name format: “your full names_ HIS and Data Use Director.pdf”
- Applications not conforming to the above directions will NOT be considered
- No phone calls please and only short listed applicants will be contacted.
- This vacancy is only open to Ethiopian Nationals, who must be eligible to live and work in Ethiopia; interested and qualified applicants that are currently working for DUP, or worked for DUP previously, are encouraged to apply.
- Female applicants are highly encouraged to apply as JSI is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer.
N.B JSI is a child-safe organization, and the safety and well-being of children is a priority of our organization. We have robust recruitment procedures to ensure that all staff are suited to work with the children served by our programs.
Posted on 20th April 2023, Deadline: 30th April 2023
For more vacancy alerts like this JSI Vacancy Announcement, Join us on Telegram