UNICEF Vacancy Announcement, March 6, 2023
Employment: Temporary Appointment (TA) or Consultancy/Short Term Assignments (SSA)
Location: Ethiopia, Angola, Botswana, Burundi, Comoros, Eritrea, Kenya, Lesotho, Madagascar, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Rwanda, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Eswatini (formerly Swaziland), United Republic of Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Mauritius, Seychelles
Experience Level: Junior Level (2 years)
Number of Positions:
Date of Announcement: February 27, 2023
Deadline: March 13, 2023
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, hope
Since two years, countries in the ESA region have experienced an alarming increase in the number of new, or re-emerging humanitarian emergencies, including public health (including Ebola, Crimean Congo haemorrhagic fever, yellow fever, wild poliovirus, and Cholera), armed conflicts and natural disasters emergencies.
An outbreak of Sudan Ebola Virus (SDV) started in September 2022 and spread to 9 districts in Uganda, elevating the risk for cross border spread to neighboring countries (Tanzania, Rwanda, South-Sudan, Burundi, Kenya and DRCongo).
UNICEF ESAR has prioritized the critical need to support countries to rapidly scale up capacity to prevent, mitigate, and manage ongoing and anticipated emergencies as well as to enhance capacity for preparedness and response to these emergencies.
The purpose of this external announcement is to attract suitable WASH Officer candidates interested in working in any of the countries within UNICEF’s East and Southern Africa region to respond to Ebola outbreaks for the next 36 months. The countries within each region are listed on the following website: http://www.unicef.org/infobycountry/index.html.
1-Coordination with district WASH and Health Officers, to support and conduct WASH needs assessment/gap analysis in the affected institutions and communities as required
2. Working closely with other WASH/IPC pillar teams in the affected areas to conduct WASH needs assessment in the HCFs and communities at risk, including enforcement of the Public Health Act (PHA)
3. Facilitate and participate in the various platforms at the district (District Task Force, WASH/IPC sub-pillar meetings, Partner meetings etc., to ensure improved coordination and collaboration in the response
4. As required, provide training/mentorship on IPC/WASH to selected/target staff at health care facilities, schools and HCFs and in communities
5. Monitor and coordinate the distribution of WASH/IPC supplies to targeted health care facilities and schools
6. Work closely with RCCE teams to conduct community engagement to address WASH needs
7. Daily reporting to UNIECF ZO and UCO on status, progress, gaps and recommendations on the response, to facilitate timely decision making and response
8. Facilitate requisitions for supplies with various District Local Governments needs arise and follow up on last mile distribution and utilization.
9. And any other duties assigned by the supervisor, as may be required.
- University degree in Public Health, Environmental Health, Sanitary Engineering or related field Additional relevant post-graduate courses that complement/supplement the main degree are a strong asset.
- At least 2 years of experience in the relevant areas of water, sanitation and hygiene, water quality, public health, environmental health. Previous experience in Ebola preparedness/response is essential. Knowledge of Infection Prevention Control protocols (WHO, CDC)
- Preferably experience in controlling outbreaks of EVD and/or other VHFs Strong sense of team spirit, diplomacy Ability to build and maintain partnerships across government and NGOs Innovative and resourceful mindset to make solutions work in adverse conditions
- Ability to work under stressful conditions and flexible approach in undertaking his assignment within a rapidly changing environment. Willing to frequently travel within the assigned country.
- Fluency in verbal and written English or French (depending on the country office’s official language). Knowledge of another UN language or a local language is an asset
1. Rural water supply for low- and middle-income countries – including water safety, sustainability
2. Rural sanitation for low- and middle-income countries, incl sustainability; applying CATS principles
3. Urban sanitation for low- and middle-income countries, incl sustainability
4. Handwashing with soap
5. WASH-in-Schools and Health Centres
6. Menstrual hygiene management
7. National government WASH policies, plans and strategies
8. Analysis of national budgets and expenditure for basic WASH, and related advocacy Basic knowledge of six of the eight components
1. Humanitarian WASH – preparedness
2. Humanitarian WASH – response and recovery Basic knowledge of one component
- 1. Humanitarian WASH – coordination of the response Basic knowledge
- 2. Programme/project management
3. Capacity development
4. Knowledge management
5. Monitoring and evaluation Basic knowledge of all four components
- 1. Human rights and WASH
- 2. Gender equality and WASH Basic knowledge
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s Core Values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust and Accountability and Sustainability (CRITAS) underpin everything we do and how we do it. Get acquainted with Our Values Charter: https://uni.cf/UNICEFValues
UNICEF competencies required for this post are…
- Demonstrates Self Awareness and Ethical Awareness (1)
- Works Collaboratively with others (1)
- Builds and Maintains Partnerships (1)
- Innovates and Embraces Change (1)
- Thinks and Acts Strategically (1)
- Drive to achieve impactful results (1)
During the recruitment process, we test candidates following the competency framework. Familiarize yourself with our competency framework and its different levels: competency framework here.
How to Apply
Click HERE to view on source and apply
For more vacancy alerts like this UNICEF Vacancy Announcement, Join us on Telegram