Hygiene Promotion Officer – International Rescue Committee Vacancy Announcement, May 28 2023
Organization: International Rescue Committee – IRC
Position: Hygiene Promotion Officer
Employment: Full time
Location: Dassenech, SNNPR
Deadline: May 30, 2023
BACKGROUND: The International Rescue Committee, one of the world’s largest humanitarian international NGOs, provides relief, rehabilitation and development support to vulnerable people and communities in over 40 countries. We began work in Ethiopia in 1999 in response to severe drought in Ethiopia’s Somali region and are currently providing assistance to Ethiopians and refugees in ten regions in Ethiopia, implementing emergency and development programs in health, water and sanitation, economic recovery and development (ERD), women’s protection and empowerment, education, child protection, and multi-sectoral emergency response.
The Position mainly involves undertaking rapid Hygiene Promotion Officer (HPO) need assessments and implementing emergency WASH response. The HPO will be based in Dassenech Town, South Omo Zone of SNNPR Region and can be deployed to Dassenech Woreda, and other emerging emergency areas localities of the country program whenever need.
Responsibilities are the essential functions of the role and should be specific, and in most cases mandatory regular responsibilities. 6-8 key responsibilities are recommended, here are some additional Tips to Consider:
- Primary responsibilities only: Focus on the functions of a job that are considered to be “essential” or primary to the success of the role.
- Reports to Senior ERRO/ERRM.
- Integrating with other team members, the Sanitation and HP Officer undertakes detailed Hygiene and Sanitation need assessments.
- Prepares detailed physical & financial implementation plan for emerging emergency responses.
- Assist in preparing IEC Materials to be used at community level. Ensure the accurate convey of hygiene and sanitation messages. Prioritize community level hygiene awareness campaigns and prevention of Cholera.
- Coordinate training for community representatives on Hygiene, sanitation, and Cholera control. Plan and ensure the accurate distribution of Non-Food Items. Works closely with Zone, Woreda Water and Health Offices towards efficient and effective meth of the response.
- Works in collaboration with IRC EH Officer, Technicians and Ensure accurate integration of the interventions.
- Produces activity progress reports as per the preset reporting schedule and submits to the supervisor. Prepare brief emergency related monthly updates to the supervisor.
- Facilitate community participation during emergency interventions.
- In coordination with woreda DRMC and other relevant sector offices HPOs, Ensure the implementation of project activities.
- Facilitate meeting for program staff with partners on identified gaps Conduct continuous monitoring and evaluation of project activities with relevant government partners.
- In collaboration with other HPO and Cash transfer team ensure high level of community participation in the project and regularly monitor terms of money with local labor market standard.
- Identify, compile, and maintain training materials for uses.
- Provide information on technical problems and feedback to the technical team on time.
- Report activity progress and situation on monthly basis to the SERRO/ERR manager of the respective woreda.
- Maintain strong working relationships with respective IRC staff and partners like Community health workers, kebele leaders, schoolteachers by coordinating regular review meetings at kebele level at least once per month.
- Perform another task assigned by their supervisor.
- Minimum of 2 years of relevant work experience, NGO setting preferred. Excellent verbal and written communication skills as well as an overall ability to be clear and concise in all communications.
- BSC in Sanitary Science, Public Health, Environmental Health
Preferred experience & skills:
- Strong organizational and time-management skills; proven ability to prioritize and deliver on time in complex emergency projects.
- Proven community mobilization skills, including different hygiene promotion approaches and method (CLTSH and SLTSH, PHAST, CHAST etc.. )
- Strong analytic problem-solving skills
- Ability to work both independently and in a dynamic, cross-functional global team structure.
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office suite
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with stakeholders at all levels.
- Ability to manage and work through change in a proactive and positive manner.
Language Skills: Communication in English, and Amharic.
How to Apply
Candidates meeting the above qualifications are encouraged to apply only through the
below IRC On-line recruitment website:
Your application letter/cover letter must include the following information:
- Name of the position you have applied for
- Date of application
- Summary of your qualifications and experience
- Motivation/objective of why you have applied for the job
- Please include at least 3 references from current and former supervisors.
Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
IRC is an equal employment opportunity employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability.
Professional Standards: The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity Anti-Retaliation and Combating Trafficking in Persons
Gender Equality: IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols, and other supportive benefits and allowances
Equal Opportunity Employer: IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
For more vacancy alerts like this International Rescue Committee Vacancy Announcement, join us on Telegram