Hygiene Promotion Assistant – International Rescue Committee Vacancy Announcement, May 28 2023
Organization: International Rescue Committee – IRC
Position: Hygiene Promotion Assistant
Employment: Full time
Location: Dassenech, SNNPR
Deadline: May 30, 2023
The International Rescue Committee, one of the world’s largest humanitarian international NGOs, provides relief, rehabilitation, and development support to vulnerable people and communities over 30 countries. We began work in Ethiopia in 2000 in response to severe drought in Ethiopia’s Somali region and are currently providing assistance to Ethiopians and refugees in six regions in Ethiopia, implementing emergency and development programs in health, water and sanitation, economic recovery and development (ERD), women’s protection and empowerment, education, child protection, and multi-sectoral emergency response.
The Position mainly involves undertaking rapid emergency response, implementing different hygiene and sanitation promotion approach (community led-total sanitation and hygiene, school lead total sanitation and hygiene, CHAST), The Hygiene Promotion Assistant (HPA) contribute ongoing need assessments in the intervention localities and implementing emergency WASH response. The HPA will be based in south omo zone Dassenech woreda of SNNPR region and can be deployed to any other emerging emergency areas localities of the country program whenever need.
- Integrating with other team members, the Sanitation and HP assistant undertakes detail Hygiene and Sanitation need assessments.
- Assist HPO in Preparation of detail physical & financial implementation plan for emerging emergency responses.
- Assist in preparing of IEC Materials to be used at community level.
- Ensure the accurate convey of hygiene and sanitation messages. Prioritize community level hygiene awareness campaigns and prevention of Cholera.
- Coordinate training for community representatives on Hygiene, sanitation, and Cholera control. In collaboration with other emergency response team ,Plan and ensure the accurate distribution of Non Food Items.
- Works closely with Zone, Woreda Water and Health Offices towards efficient and effective process of the response; Works in collaboration with IRC Cash transfer teams to ensure accurate integration of the interventions.
- Produces activity progress reports as per the preset reporting schedule and submit to the supervisor. Prepare brief emergency related monthly updates to the supervisor. Facilitate community participation during the emergency interventions.
- In coordination with woreda DRMC and other relevant sector offices HP Assistant, Ensure the implementation of project activities. Facilitate meeting for program staff with partners on identified gaps
- Conduct continuous monitoring and evaluation of project activities with relevant government partners.
- In collaboration with other HPO and Cash transfer team ensure high level of community participation in the project and regularly monitor terms of money with local labor market standard.
- Identify, compile and maintain training materials for uses.
- Provide information on technical problems and feedbacks to the technical team on time.
- Report activity progress and situation on monthly bases to the HPO/Senior ERRO of the respective woreda.
- Maintain strong working relationships with respective IRC staffs and partners like Community health workers, kebele leaders, schoolteachers by coordinating regular review meetings at kebele level at least once per month.
- Perform another task assigned by his/her supervisor.
- 0 year experience for BSc Degree holders and 2 years’ experience for Diploma holders in Environmental Health, public Health and Social science field.
- Hygiene promotion experience in local community settings.
- Basic computer skill (Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point and e-mail).
- Aility to work as part of a team as well as to work autonomously when required.
- Proven community mobilization skills, including different hygiene promotion approaches and method ( CLTSH and SLTSH, PHAST, CHAST etc.. )
- Strong analytic problem-solving skills
- Ability to work both independently and in a dynamic, cross-functional global team structure
Standards of Professional Conduct: The IRC and IRC workers adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
Gender Equality: IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
How to Apply
Candidates meeting the above qualifications are encouraged to apply only through the
below IRC On-line recruitment website:
Please include 3 references
Your application letter/cover letter must include the following information.
· Name of the position you have applied for
· Date of application
· Summary of your qualifications and experience
· Motivation/objective of why you have applied for the job
· Please include at least 3 references from current and former supervison
Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply!
For more vacancy alerts like this International Rescue Committee Vacancy Announcement, join us on Telegram