Midwife – Samaritan’s Purse Vacancy Announcement, April 4 2023
Organization: Samaritan’s Purse
Deadline: April 8, 2023
Samaritan’s Purse is a nondenominational evangelical Christian organization providing spiritual and physical aid to hurting people around the world. Since 1970, Samaritan’s Purse has helped meet needs of people who are victims of war, poverty, natural disasters, disease, and famine. Samaritan’s Purse is privileged to be part of the humanitarian effort in Ethiopia and legally registered as foreign charity to work in Ethiopia since October 08, 2018.
The Midwife will assist medical staff in the care and treatment of patients in the Samaritan’s Purse Jarra Camp MMU. The Midwife will be responsible for maintaining a high standard of care as they help treat patients. The workload is intensive and requires a team of dedicated health professionals to meet the ever- increasing demand for specialized medical care in the affected Region. Therefore, the Medical Midwife will support the MMU as well as provide support to recovering Health Centers, as needed. At times the Midwife may be called upon to fulfill duties not directly involved with this job description.
- Apply medical knowledge and skills to prevent, diagnose, and treat diseases. Carry out consultations as needed, prescribing necessary treatment respecting SP and government protocols.
- Keep the patient and/or his/her family informed about the illness and provide appropriate explanation/education about the treatment to follow, verifying that they have understood the treatment plan.
- Promotion of and referral to RH services (ANC and PNC) provided in the MMU
- Conducting post-natal visits to newly delivered women and their infants (not later than 72 hours after birth)
- Provision of health promotion on reproductive health
- Ensure the completion of the MMU quality indicators
- Work closely with the CHWs to identify pregnant women in need for ANC services and newly delivered women and their infants in need for a PNC visits.
- Ensure the proper follow-up of pregnant women by the MMU.
- Submit timely weekly and monthly reports to the Senior health officer.
- Work with staff to ensure care and communication is culturally sensitive.
- Follow the evolution of patients during course of treatment, through consultations and examinations, prescribing the necessary treatment following SP protocols, deciding whether they can be treated or require further care at a different health facility – in collaboration with other SP clinical staff- and informing the patient and their family about the patient’s condition.
- Support clinical leadership to enforce compliance with standard infection prevention and control guidelines.
- Participate in the accurate clinical documentation and collection of epidemiological data, checking its validity and informing the M&E Manager and Health Program Manager as appropriate, about any problem or complication of the patients’ illness or medical error (s).
- Responsible for daily treatment; as frequent as patients’ conditions.
- Provide education to patients on the importance of maintaining antenatal and postnatal care as directed.
- Support the HPM in monitoring the proper functioning of the mobile medical unit, equipment, supplies, or pharmaceuticals.
- Ensure patient confidentiality is respected at all times.
- Support clinical leadership to provide training and mentoring to other clinical staff in dissemination of new knowledge or protocols.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Attend daily morning devotions and participates in prayer support for ministry, donors and voluntaries.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Attention to detail, anticipation and follow up are core values of the job function.
- Possesses strong organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Must be a self-starter and internally driven to success and hard work.
- Possesses strong cross-cultural communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Must be a humble team player
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable.
- Willingness to travel in and out of the field.
- Must have analytical and report writing skills.
- High level of integrity and stewardship
- Committed to the SP values and ethics
- Proficient in making clinical decisions in the care of the patient population serving.
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE NEEDED
- Degree in Midwifery from a recognized university.
- Has experience of 1 year in hospital or clinic setting, preferably in low-resource setting.
- Amharic, required
- English, required
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral diagram, or schedule form.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk and run; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Work in a security context that is fluid
The employee is required to carry out his/her duties in accordance with Samaritan’s Purse Safeguarding policy and Code of conduct.
Employee should remain alert and responsive to any child and adult safeguarding risks, acquire relevant knowledge and skills, which will enable him/her to promote strong safeguarding practices, understand the child and adult safeguarding policy and procedures, and conduct his/herself in a manner consistent with the Safeguarding Policy.
How to Apply
All interested candidates are encouraged to apply for the position advertised by submitting their CV/Resume (maximum of 2 pages) and application letter (one Page only) no later than April 8, 2023 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write the position title you are applying for in the email subject line, “Midwife”
Only candidates that are short-listed will be contacted.
For more vacancy alerts like this Samaritan’s Purse Vacancy Announcement, join us on Telegram