Samaritan’s Purse is a nondenominational evangelical Christian organization providing spiritual and physical aid to hurting people around the world. Since 1970, Samaritan’s Purse has helped meet needs of people who are victims of war, poverty, natural disasters, disease, and famine. Samaritan’s Purse is privileged to be part of the humanitarian effort in Ethiopia and legally registered as foreign charity to work in Ethiopia since October 08, 2018.
The Medical Doctor will assist medical staff in the care and treatment of patients in the Samaritan’s Purse Mobile Medical and Nutrition Unit (MMU), North Wollo different sites. The Medical Doctor will be responsible for maintaining a high standard of care as they help treat patients. The workload is intensive and requires a team of dedicated health professionals to meet the ever-increasing demand for specialized medical care in the affected Region. Therefore, the Medical Doctor will support the Mobile Health and Nutrition Team as well as provide support to recovering Health Centers. At times the Medical Doctor may be called upon to fulfill duties not directly involved with this job description.
Provide primary care to pediatric and adult patients in the treatment of communicable and non-communicable diseases within the scope of the Mobile Medical and Nutrition Unit. Provide care to patients/beneficiaries according to adapted and updated medical knowledge, in alignment with SP and Ethiopian Government protocols, values and universal infection control standards to improve the patients /beneficiaries’ health status.
- Provide consultations for all patients attending mobile clinic with appropriate investigations, diagnosis and treatment of illnesses based on Ethiopian, SP and international guidelines.
- Order and interpret appropriate laboratory tests as needed.
- Prescribe appropriate medications as per guidelines, ensuring patients understand instructions for dose and correct use.
- Identify all patients requiring secondary or tertiary care and refer appropriately according to clinic protocol.
- Identify all patients requiring emergency care, stabilize condition and refer according to clinic protocols.
- Perform wound care and appropriate minor procedures as per training received and following strict sterile techniques.
- Maintain high levels of hygiene at all times observing universal precautions.
- Preventative Health Care:
- Identify all children and women requiring immunizations and refer appropriately as per clinic guidelines.
- Provide antenatal care for pregnant women according to Ethiopian and international guidelines, as needed.
- Provide postnatal care and follow-up for women according to Ethiopian and international guidelines, as needed.
- Provide neonatal care for new-born according to Ethiopian and international guidelines, as needed.
- Provide patients with education on prevention of illness, proper nutrition, and good hygiene practices.
- Identify any outbreak prone diseases and immediately inform appropriate authorities, Program Manager for further investigation and follow up.
- Keep clear and up to date records in a confidential manner and assist the Program Manager in compilation of weekly and monthly reports to RHB, SP, WHO and other organizations as requested.
- Attend training sessions arranged by SP, RHB and other organizations as required by SP Management Team.
- Assist with the translation of documents from English to Amharic and Amharic to English as required, especially medical /technical terms.
- Assist the Program Manager with rapid needs and health assessments if requested.
- Any other reasonable duties as requested by the SP Management Team.
- Attend daily morning devotions and participates in prayer support for ministry, donors and voluntaries.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Attention to detail, anticipation and follow up are core values of the job function.
- Possesses strong organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Must be a self-starter and internally driven to success and hard work.
- Possesses strong cross-cultural communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Must be a humble team player
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable.
- Willingness to travel in and out of the field.
- Must have analytical and report writing skills.
- High level of integrity and stewardship
- Committed to the SP values and ethics
- Proficient in making clinical decisions in the care of the patient population serving.
- Doctorate Degree in Medicine from a recognized university; postgraduate degree in internal medicine
- Has experience of 1 year in hospital or clinic setting, preferably in low-resource setting.
- Amharic – Required
- English – Required
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral diagram, or schedule form.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical demands will be dependent upon situation and event.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Work in a security context that is fluid
The employee is required to carry out his/her duties in accordance with Samaritan’s Purse Safeguarding policy and Code of conduct.
Employee should remain alert and responsive to any child and adult safeguarding risks, acquire relevant knowledge and skills, which will enable him/her to promote strong safeguarding practices, understand the child and adult safeguarding policy and procedures, and conduct his/herself in a manner consistent with the Safeguarding Policy.
How to Apply
All interested candidates are encouraged to apply for the position advertised by submitting their CV/Resume (maximum of 2 pages) and application letter (one Page only) no later than April 8, 2023 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write the position title you are applying for in the email subject line, “Medical Doctor”
Only candidates that are short-listed will be contacted.