Hygiene and Sanitation officer- Plan International Ethiopia Vacancy Announcement, May 25 2023
Organization: Plan International Ethiopia
Position: Hygiene and Sanitation officer
Employment: Full time
Location: South Omo Woredas, SNNPR
Deadline: May 29, 2023
Plan International is a rights-based development and humanitarian organization working for better lives for all children. We are independent of government and have no political or religious affiliation. Our purpose is to strive for a just world that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We have been building powerful partnerships for children for more than 80 years, and are now active in more than 70 countries.
The position holder is responsible to handle different activities of FSL, WASH, health and Nutrition at grass root level at SNNP Program Area.
ACCOUNTABILITY AND MAIN WORK ACTIVITIES
Plan has a performance management and accountability matrix SOP. Every position holder is expected to adhere to the SOP and review and review her/his responsibility against the accountability matrix.
Project design, implementation and reporting(35%)
· Ensure that the WASH promotion activities are implemented according to the approved donor and government agreements.
· Planning, implementation, monitoring, reporting and review of response activities as per the agreed document with donor and partners.
· Carrying out needs assessments and identify activities to increase awareness and enhance hygiene behavior change.
· Report request of material needed for WASH promotion activities and design IEC material according to the specific targeted group (adult, children, and persons living with disabilities).
· Design, monitor and implement WASH promotion activities according to the identified needs. Those may include but are not limited to: conduct sex and age segregated consultations with the affected community, WASH kits distributions, WASH kits use demonstrations, water treatment and water quality monitoring, training and follow up of community health workers, cleaning campaign.
· Design, monitor and implement WASH promotion activities that keep the community and the staff safe from the risk of WASH Related diseases.
· Provide daily/weekly report to immediate supervisor.
· Provide WASH promotion related training for the Water Management Committee, governmental technicians, and concerned community members related to measures to remain protected from WASH related disease and about the importance of properly use and maintain WASH infrastructures for the community to remain safe and healthy.
· Be based in the targeted regions (depending on the needs) for several days per week to monitor the activities, including overnight stay in rural areas.
· Work in close coordination with the community and all its representatives, including women, children, elderly and persons living with disabilities to ensure the specific needs and suggestions from all targeted beneficiaries are known. Work in close coordination with the WASH officers and other sectors colleagues to ensure that the overall WASH response address the needs of the targeted population, in the respect of dignity and local culture.
· Contribute to regular data collection in the field during needs assessments, post distribution monitoring, baseline and end-line surveys.
· Undertakes any other relevant tasks assigned by the supervisor.
Related to Program Design;(35%)
· Facilitate and collect baseline information and data from community submit to PA for further analysis.
Related to coordination, partnership and networking
· In addition to the WASH coordinator, he/she can be Serve as a principal representative to WASH thematic networks and clusters in the project areas that has relevance to the project implementation, to create collaborative and positive partnerships and alliances, and to influence policy that maximizes the impact of the project.
· Establish links and good relationships with relevant district government authorities, UN organizations, NGOs, academic and research institutions and the media, in the area of water, sanitation and hygiene to draw information and knowledge for project efficiency and effectiveness.
· Makes follow up and proper documentation and share of district government information, strategies with respect to water sanitation and hygiene.
Related to capacity building support (30%)
· Provide technical assistance and build the capacities of local partners in project management.
· Provide guidance to colleagues and partner staffs on smooth partnership management for enhanced project implementation.
· Ensure that appropriate partner assessment is done on time and communicated to relevant staff.
Safeguarding Children and Young People (Safeguarding) and Gender Equality and Inclusion (GEI)
· Understand and put into practice the responsibilities under Safeguarding and GEI policies and Plan International’s Code of Conduct (CoC).
· Ensure that Plan International’s global policies for Safeguarding Children and Young People and Gender Equality and Inclusion are fully embedded in day to day work.
· Ensure that Plan Ethiopia contributes to Plan International’s global efforts to ensure safeguarding and GEI, including making sure that relevant reporting and data are submitted.
Technical expertise, skills and knowledge
· University degree in Environmental Health, public health or a related subject. Adequate experience in the field will substitute for formal qualifications.
· Minimum 4 years of total experience of which experience in WASH sector and experience in emergency WASH is advantageous.
· Experience in WASH facilities construction in a complex and demanding workload.
· Substantial experience in coordinating, mobilizing community, planning, implementation, supervision, monitoring and reporting.
· Demonstrated work experience in designing, supervise and implementing water, sanitation and hygiene infrastructural programs in community, school and health centres.
· Ability and willingness to travel and work in rural areas where the project is implemented, within approved security frameworks.
· Strong interpersonal skills, communication, presentation and facilitation skills and an ability to train and mentor staff.
· Desired spoken and written English.
· Good computer skills (particularly Excel, Word and databases).
· Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to build relationships with colleagues.
· Excellent written and oral communication skills, including presentation.
· Strong negotiation, influencing and problem solving skills.
· Numeracy and the ability to interpret financial data, in order to understand budgetary processes including planning, monitoring and reporting
· Ability to analyze information and evaluate options including planning skills.
· Proficient in computer skills and use of relevant software and other application
- Fluency in English language is essential
- Knowledge of local languages is a desirable.
How to Apply
How to Apply
The closing date for the application is May 29, 2023. Qualified candidates should submit their application with the links provided below.
For internal applicants: https://performancemanager5.successfactors.eu/sf/jobreq?jobId=46780&company=PlanInt
For external applicants: https://jobs.plan-international.org/job-invite/46780/
This position is only open to Ethiopian Nationals, who must be eligible to live and work in Ethiopia.
Please note that:
· Only Shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
· We are not accepting CVs that are not sent through the indicated links.
· Early application is encouraged as we will review applications throughout the advertising period and reserve the right to close the advert early.
· Female candidates are highly encouraged to Apply
More information about Plan International can be found on http:// plan-international.org
References will be taken and background and anti-terrorism checks will be carried out in conformity with Plans Child Protection Policy. Plan operates an equal opportunities policy and actively encourages diversity, welcoming applications from all persons meeting the skills and experience required.
As an international child centered community development organisation, Plan International is fully committed to promoting the realization of children’s rights including their right to protection from violence and abuse. That means we have particular responsibilities to children that we come into contact with.
Plan International believes that in a world where children face so many threats of harm, it is our duty to ensure that we, as an organisation, do everything we can to keep children safe. We must not contribute in any way to harming or placing children at risk.