Health And Nutrition Specialist – Mercy Corps Ethiopia Vacancy Announcement, March 23, 2023
Organization: Mercy Corps Ethiopia
Position: Health And Nutrition Specialist
Employment: Full Time
Location: Negele Borena
Experience Level: Senior Level (More than 4 years)
Number of Positions: 1
Date of Announcement: March 16, 2023
Deadline: March 26, 2023
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within now, and for the future.
Mercy Corps has been operating in Ethiopia since 2004. In partnership with civil society organizations, private sector, and the government, Mercy Corps Ethiopia has reached more than five million Ethiopians with interventions to save lives and build secure livelihoods. Our programs emphasize market-driven solutions, reinforce social bonds, and help communities build resilience to the impacts of climate change. Currently in six regional states – Afar, Gambella, Oromia, Somali, Amhara and South Nations, Nationalities and People’s Region (SNNPR) – Mercy Corps Ethiopia is driven by the mission to contribute the emergence of a peaceful, resilient, and prosperous Ethiopia which is inclusive of youth and women. Our strategic directions focus in promoting inclusive and dynamic markets; promoting peace and social cohesion through strengthening formal/informal governance structures and citizen engagement; improved natural resource governance; and integrated humanitarian response.
Under the guidance of field coordinator (based in MC Negele Office) the health and nutrition Specialist will be responsible to provide technical support for Health and Nutrition staffs in MC Negele Office. The position holder will also be responsible to closely work with regional level UN agencies (such WFP, UNICEF, UNFPA, WHO and OCHA) and secure program supplies expected from them. Represent MC in regional health and nutrition clusters for effective coordination. Management responsibilities provide technical support include supervising and closely follow up of MHNT functions and health and nutrition interventions; and liaises with other technical advisors or specialists to ensure program quality. The position holder will be responsible to represent MC at regional level health and nutrition cluster coordination and share the cluster or coordination meeting extracts for both Negele and Country office team. In addition, he/she be responsible for coordinating, supporting, monitoring, and reporting health and nutrition activities MC Negele Program implementation areas. The emergency health and nutrition specialist will coordinate and liaise with the Program coordinator to facilitate the health & nutrition supply procurement, and other logistic support required for the program and to ensure smooth coordination internally at Negele Office level. The position holder will also provide technical assistance for MC’s humanitarian responses, support new business development, ensuring/supporting whether the management of Health & Nutrition interventions is in line with the nationally and regionally endorsed guidelines, submission of 4W and 5W reports for regional health cluster and ENCU, and contribute for H&N capacity strengthening efforts.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Manage Mercy Corps Emergency Nutrition and Health responses at ground level and provide technical support for MNHT, HEWs, and health workers.
- Ensuring some protection and GBV related services mainstreamed in all health and nutrition responses and support the field team to make sure the Health & Nutrition interventions are gender sensitive humanitarian services.
- Work closely with the field level coordinator, and humanitarian programs manager and other technical advisors to ensure timely and high-quality emergency responses.
- Lead and support health and nutrition teams to improve their technical skills for improved health and nutrition services quality.
- Manage the flow of tasks and assigning responsibilities among team members and harmonizing different activities to ensure successful integration of the health and nutrition components with other subsectors at Negele Office.
- Prepare implementation plan together with the project coordinators, other health and nutrition team member and follow up of the progress based on the agreed plan.
- Provide supervision, technical assistance and capacity building to Community volunteers, health extension workers and Health workers to ensure quality H&N services.
- Coordinate and liaise with Mercy corps support staffs at field offices for smooth coordination and facilitation of program material procurement, transportation, and other logistic support required at the community level.
- Strengthen government relationship and liaise with different sector bureaus directly involve in emergency health and nutrition responses mainly with DRMC, FMOH at regional level, for a better coordination and smooth partnership through joint planning, sharing progress updates and manage regular communications.
- Establish effective collaboration with UN agencies (such WFP, UNICEF, UNFPA, WHO and OCHA) and other cooperating partners to facilitate the exchange of humanitarian information and manage health and nutrition supplies from respective UN agencies by sharing the forecast and timely requesting.
- Represent MC in regional health and nutrition clusters for effective coordination and share the meeting extracts for the team.
- Provide technical support and conduct regular monitoring to ensure the health and nutrition services are line with the national regional standards.
- Collect and compile monthly and quarterly progress reports and submit to the Field Coordinator before the due date.
- Support and coordinate capacity building efforts in collaboration with Zonal and Woreda health and DRM offices and other concerned agencies. Document and disseminate evidence on case stories, performance, and lessons learned. sharing of information for local stakeholders at field level.
- In collaboration with the field coordinator, respond to requests from emergency coordinators (WFP, OCHA, and UNICEF) for information on project progress, any changes from the plan, challenges and actions taken to make progress towards the goal of the project.
- Represent MC and Participate in Health & Nutrition related meetings and workshops at Zonal and Woreda level with government, donors and other agencies and follow up on the field team; participate in all coordination forums at Zonal and woreda level and share MC’s achievements and approaches.
- Carry out other jobs-assigned by supervisor to support the MC missions at field level.
GEDSI (GENDER, EQUALITY, DIVERSITY AND SOCIAL INCLUSION)
- Be a thought partner in the recruitment of diverse team and promoting inclusive and safe work environment including supporting early career team members to fulfil their professional goals)
- Lead by example to promote gender equal and inclusive workplace culture in a day-to-day interaction with team members, partners and program participants.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability To Beneficiaries
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Safeguarding & Ethics
- Mercy Corps is committed to ensuring that all individuals we come into contact with through our work, whether team members, community members, program participants or others, are treated with respect and dignity. We are committed to the core principles regarding prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse laid out by the UN Secretary General and IASC And Have Signed On To The Interagency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme. We will not tolerate child abuse, sexual exploitation, abuse, or harassment by or of our team members. As part of our commitment to a safe and inclusive work environment, team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner, respect local laws and customs, and to adhere to Mercy Corps Code of Conduct Policies and values at all times. Team members are required to complete mandatory Code of Conduct elearning courses upon hire and on an annual basis.
- BSC in public health, nursing and other health sciences plus Bsc in Public Health or Nutrition.
Organizational Learning: As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient, and relevant to the communities they serve – we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- More than four year(s) of relevant experience on emergency health and nutrition responses.
- Experience in managing health and nutrition responses in the community level preferable in pastoralist and semi-pastoralist areas.
- Knowledge in humanitarian response particularly in pastoralist community.
- Experience in implementing diverse donor programs is preferred.
- Ability to manage and work in a team consisting of people with different technical backgrounds and varying levels of technical training.
- Ability to facilitate relationships and interact smoothly and effectively with partners including government HEW, HWs, and Health center managers, Cluster coordinators, and peer organizations at field level.
- Ability to undertake problem analyses and gather diverse information in a systematic way to improve design, implementation, and reporting Health & Nutrition interventions.
- Having strong analytical ability and report writing skill is essential.
- English fluency is essential.
How to Apply
Register using THIS LINK
All interested candidates are encouraged to apply for the position advertised. All applications submitted to the Mercy Corps office or electronically include a CV, three references, and all relevant official documents. Applications will not be returned and will not be retained for future recruitment efforts. In order to ensure fairness to all applicant’s personal inquiries are not permitted.
Only candidates that are short-listed will be acknowledged and called for interviews.
“Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer promoting gender, equity and diversity. Qualified female and young candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to empower women and youth.”
For more vacancy alerts like this Mercy Corps Ethiopia Vacancy Announcement, Join us on Telegram