Head of Medical Support Services – African Union Vacancy Announcement, May 8 2023
Organization: African Union
Position: Head of Medical Support Services
Date of Announcement: May 8, 2023
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Deadline: June 8 2023
• Respect for Diversity and Team Work
• Think Africa Above all
• Transparency and Accountability
• Integrity and Impartiality
• Efficiency and Professionalism
• Information and Knowledge Sharing
Reports to: Director
Directorate/Department/Organ: Medical and Health Services
Division : Medical Support Services
Number of Direct Reports: 1
Number of Indirect Reports: 14
Number of Positions: 1
Job Grade: P5
Contract Type: Regular
Location: Addis Ababa,Ethiopia
Purpose of Job
To provide technical leadership for the supervision and management for the effective performance of the Radiology, Pharmacy and Laboratory Units.
• Manages the work of the Division and supervises direct reports to ensure their effective performance as per organization’s Performance Management policy and system;
• Designs strategies and policies consistent with the Department’s goal in order to address the pertinent issues in the relevant area;
• Contributes to the development of the departmental business continuity plan and ensure implementation at division level;
• Manages risk within the division and recommend mitigation strategies
• Designs and plans policy programs to achieve the strategies;
• Develops new and reviews activities as components of the strategies and policies;
• Addresses problems in arising to current approaches to relevant area.
• Engages stakeholders within Members States and RECs in designing and implementing strategies;
• Represents the organisation and explain its position at conferences;
• Mobilises funding from all donors to use to execute strategies and activities.
• Contributes to the preparation of periodic financial and budget execution reports and monitor budget execution at division level.
• Creates an inspiring work environment to enable staff development and professional progression.
• Supervises and manages the employees of the Division with regard to organisation and performance evaluation.
• Designs strategies and policies consistent with the AU’s goal in order to address the pertinent issues in the relevant area.
• Prioritizes Medical programs and priorities, set the direction for Division’s activities, plans, priorities, and workflows in Radiology, Pharmacy and Laboratory Units respectively.
• Coordinates the activities of the different Units to support the expert clinical care of MHSD clients.
• Represents the Department in all meetings related to health issues and report back on issues discussed and on action required to the immediate supervisor.
• Ensures overall management of the Division; including performance, quality assurance, staff issues and budget related matters of all units under him/ her.
• Provides input into the recruitment of Division/MHSD staff as required.
• Set performance standards for self and staff, conduct performance appraisals on schedule and resolve intra unit conflicts.
• Produces and submits periodic reports on activities and specific missions.
• Participates in the upgrade of the AU Medical and Health Services Directorate in respect of Equipment, Diagnostic technologies and Continuous Medical Education.
• Oversees the continuing medical education programs for Medical Staff and training of Clinical Attaches and Interns within the Division.
• Participates in the development and delivery of health promotion, disease prevention and occupational Health and Safety programs of the Directorate (including HIV and AIDS in the workplace).
• Participates in programs of AU Medical Services Directorate in respect to technical advice to AU Regional Offices, Organs and AU Field Missions.
• Ensures overall management of the Division; budget management, monitoring, analysis, evaluation of staff performance, grievance and progressive discipline, and fiscal needs in conformity with the relevant rules and procedures
• Performs any other duties as may be assigned by his immediate supervisor.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
• Must have a Degree in Medicine (MD or MBBS plus BMBCh) with 12 years post qualification relevant work experience within a government hospital or private practice, or an International organization which 7 years should be at managerial level and 5 years at supervisory level
1. Must have specialization in one of these specialties: Laboratory Medicine, Radiology or Clinical Pharmacology (mandatory).
a. Must be a Member/ MMED of a professional Regional Postgraduate Medical College of Pathologists, Radiologists or Pharmacologists) with Ten (10) years work experience, including 5 years as Head of Department.
Fellow of a professional Regional Postgraduate Medical College of Pathologists, Radiologists or Pharmacologists) with Eight (7) years work experience in a clinical role, including 3 years as Head of Department.
b. Must be licensed to practice medicine as a specialist in Laboratory Medicine/ Radiology/ Pharmacology in his/her home country or country of residence, as at the time of application (mandatory).
c. Experience as head of a clinical unit, section, service or department will be an advantage.
2. Documented training in Logistics and Supply Chain Management.
• A demonstrated ability to initiate and promote collaborative approaches between geographically and culturally disparate partners;
• Ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and working relations both internally and externally;
• Ability to develop and delegate clear program goals, plans and actions, including budgets, that are consistent with agreed strategies;
• Ability to effectively lead, supervise, mentor, develop and evaluate staff;
• Working knowledge of policy analysis, and program / project management;
• Interpersonal skills and ability to organize and motivate others and work in a multicultural environment;
• Report writing and presentation skills;
• Planning and organization skills;
• Scientific communication abilities as evidenced by scientific /other publications;
• Proficiency in one of the AU working languages, fluency in another AU language is an added advantage.
TENURE OF APPOINTMENT:
The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage
Indicative basic salary of US$ 50,746.00 (P5 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment ( 46% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 26,208.00 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Applications must be made not later than 11:59 Pm (EAT) June, 8, 2023.
Only candidates who have met all the requirements of the post and have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
Only applications registered online with a complete curriculum vitae (CV) attached will be considered.
The Africa Union is an equal-opportunity employer, and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Requisition ID: 1781
How to Apply
To Apply for this vacancy Click on the ‘Apply Now’ button below. Please make sure that you have read the requirements section very well before you apply.
For more vacancy alerts like African Union vacancy announcement, join us on Telegram