Head of Laboratory – African Union Vacancy Announcement, May 8 2023
Organization: African Union
Position: Head of Laboratory
Date of Announcement: May 8, 2023
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Deadline: June 8 2023
• Respect for Diversity and Team work
• Think Africa Above all
• Transparency and Accountability
• Integrity and Impartiality
• Efficiency and Professionalism
• Information and Knowledge Sharing
Reports to: Head, Medical Support Services
Directorate/Department/Organ: Medical and Health Services
Division: Medical Support Services
Number of Direct Reports: 1
Number of Indirect Reports: 1
Job Grade: P4
Number of Positions: 1
Contract Type: Regular
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Purpose of Job
To provide technical leadership for the effective management of the AU Laboratory to help in achieving the objectives of the AU.
• Provides technical and intellectual support in the management of various partnerships relevant for the division and directorate;
• Identifies best practices and monitor effectiveness of the division/directorate’s support to AU;
• Contributes to the development of the departmental strategies and business continuity plan and participate in/ensure their implementation
• Involved in negotiations;
• Fosters and ensures implementation of large-scale and long-term initiatives related to strategic partnerships;
• Supports the organization of thematic networks, consultations and meetings on development cooperation and international relations;
• Develops training materials and provides necessary training and support to Organization Units;
• Provides technical resource allocation and policy guidance on matters relating to system -Implementation projects and maintenance.
• Verifies and releases laboratory results in a timely manner.
• Supports Doctors in the selection of laboratory investigations in the management of patients.
• Participates in the monitoring of response to therapy of communicable and non-communicable diseases and work with them to optimize treatment outcomes.
• Participates in the preparation of new SOPs/ reviews existing ones for the management of specimens and procedures.
• Ensures that all laboratory procedures are performed in accordance to the MHSD/ WHO/ other international guidelines and best practices.
• Ensures the highest possible standards of infection prevention and control, provide a safe environment for clients and a conducive working environment for all laboratory staff.
• Participates in the AU Medical Board in determining the necessity for medical evacuations.
• Evaluates the periodical performance of laboratory staff, and directs the rest of the staff evaluation to be performed accordingly.
• Ensures participation in External Quality Assurance Systems (EQAS).
• Prepares and signs agreements with Laboratory Service Providers.
• Prepares budget for laboratory and shares it with the Head of Division, Medical Support Services.
• Leads the improvement of the laboratory, periodically quantify, prioritize and identify equipment and consumables for procurement.
• Reviews and captures data of suppliers/tender documents and contracts including purchase orders, follow-up with procurement unit and suppliers for evaluation and tender awards.
• Ensures the maintenance of all laboratory equipment as required by the manufacturer.
• Ensures that preventative maintenance on all laboratory equipment are carried out as agreed and on schedule.
• Continuously evaluates service provision for physicians/clients and makes recommendations for improvement where necessary.
• Ensures that the 24 hour AU Laboratory coverage is carried out on a shift basis (for day time, night time, weekends and public holidays).
• Contributes to training programs and workshops for continuous medical education for the laboratory and MHSD.
• Mentors, trains and supports young Medical Graduates, Clinical attachés and Interns.
• Participates in the development and delivery of health promotion, disease prevention and occupational Health and Safety programs of the Directorate (including HIV and AIDS in the workplace).
• Represents the laboratory in interactions with other units/ departments within and outside the Directorate.
• Participates in the organisation of relevant meetings, congresses and conferences with stakeholders.
• Provides advanced problem solving, troubleshooting, interpretation, consultation, verification of specimen quality and test results.
• Performs any other relevant duties assigned by the immediate Supervisor
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
• Must have a Medical Degree (MD or MBBS plus BMBCh) with Ten (10) years’ post qualification work experience within a government hospital or private practice, or international organization is essential which 6 years should at expert/specialist level and 3 years at supervisor level.
• Must currently be working in a combined clinical and laboratory role (mandatory).
• Relevant Must be licensed to practice medicine as a Laboratory Medicine Specialist in his/her home country or country of residence, as at the time of application (mandatory).
• Experience as head of a clinical unit, section, service or department will be an advantage.
• Clinical specialization in one of these specialties of Pathology (Haematology, Chemical Pathology, Microbiology/ Virology, Anatomical Pathology, Parasitology) will be mandatory:
Membership/ MMED of a professional Regional College of Pathologists listed above with eight (8) years work experience in a clinical role.
Fellowship of a professional Regional College of Pathologists listed above with five (6) years work experience in a clinical role.
• Leadership and Management Skills
• Knowledge and working understanding of international and regional guidelines for managing medical conditions.
• Interpersonal and negotiation skills
• Planning and organizational skills
• Clinical skills.
• Research and analytical skills
• Ability to work in teams and in a multicultural environment
• Knowledge and working understanding of Microsoft office suite, stock management software packages and Hospital Information Systems
• Knowledge and working understanding of AU policies, processes and standards
• Report writing, communication and presentation skills
• Proficiency in one of the AU working languages, fluency in another is an added advantage.
TENURE OF APPOINTMENT:
The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage
Indicative basic salary of US$ 42,879.00 (P4 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment (46% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 26,208.00 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff
Applications must be made not later than 11:59pm (EAT) June 8, 2023.
Only candidates who have met all the requirements of the post and have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
Only applications registered online with a complete curriculum vitae (CV) attached will be considered.
The Africa Union is an equal opportunity employer and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
Requisition ID: 1782
How to Apply
To Apply for this vacancy Click on the ‘Apply Now’ button below. Please make sure that you have read the requirements section very well before you apply.
For more vacancy alerts like African Union vacancy announcement, join us on Telegram