Emergency Nutrition Coordinator – Welthungerhilfe/German Agro Action Vacancy Announcement, May 9 2023
Organization: Welthungerhilfe/German Agro Action
Position: Emergency Nutrition Coordinator
Employment: Full Time
Location: Addis Ababa
Deadline: May 15, 2023
Organization Profile and Background
Welthungerhilfe/German Agro Action is an international NGO with Head-Quarter in Bonn and working in Africa, Asia, and Latin America. Welthungerhilfe/GAA is fighting to help free the world of hunger and poverty. This vision is the basis of our organization’s character and activities. Welthungerhilfe/GAA secure funds from private donations and international funding organizations, for example STARTFUND, UN-OCHA, ECHO, SDC and German Government. We work in the sectors of Rural Development, WASH, Shelter NFI, Nutrition , Cash based response, Agriculture in Emergency, CCCM (Camp Coordination and Camp Management) , Natural Resource Management and Social Development. Welthungerhilfe/GAA Ethiopia follows partnership approach for project planning, implementation, and in some cases WHH/GAA implements projects by itself.
What We Offer
- A multicultural work environment where differences are accommodated
- A continuous learning cultures
- Innovative and creative work practices
- Flexible work arrangements
- Attractive pay and benefit packages (life and medical insurance, Provident fund & Pension)
- Working with an organizational philosophy: “help the poor to help themselves”
· Duty station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia , with frequent travel to the project areas
· Job Title: Emergency Nutrition Coordinator
· Reports to: Head of Humanitarian Response and Resilience Building
· Contract Period: till 31.12.2023 with high possibility of extension.
Under the direct supervision of the Head of Humanitarian Response and resilience Building , the Emergency Nutrition Coordinator will technically support the WHH Nutrition in emergency response intervention sector, actively lead & engaged in emergency assessment, proposal developments, response planning and response set up, reporting, team management, monitoring and post intervention assessment, facilitating trainings, team development & capacity buildings and coordination & representation of WHH in humanitarian coordination , Nutrition and Health clusters in Addis Ababa and at the Zonal/Woreda levels where WHH has presences in Humanitarian response projects/programs.
. Assist WHH Ethiopia Humanitarian response Team and field offices in surveys, assessment, response planning, in implementation and monitoring of emergency responses.
· Support WHH local partners in ensure availability of necessary items and supplies for emergency nutrition intervention.
· Coordinate all activities planned under the nutrition project in a timely manner and in accordance with the budget allocated.
· Support partners in ensuring existence of functional referral pathways and linkages between communities and HF and vice versa.
· Supporting partners , woredas and primary health care unit (PHCU) in planning and conducting nutrition screening activities.
· In collaboration with partners, promoting the availability of services to which beneficiaries can be referred, training of staff in nutrition screening and referral services.
· In collaboration with partners, ensuring that HFs are equipped with minimum supplies needed for nutrition screening activities, (e.g. MUAC tapes, registration and reporting format, referral forms, guidelines etc.);
· Promoting and supporting community mobilization and sensitization activities towards nutrition screening programs.
· In collaboration with partners, implement and provide technical support for TSFP (food distribution), Site preparation (IDPs), and mobilization of community, and nutritional screening for both host & IDPs
· Conduct regular supportive supervision and provide technical support on stabilization Center and Outpatient Therapeutic Program sites every week.
· In collaboration with partners , ensure linkage of OTP discharges, MAM children, and acutely Malnourished PLW to distribution of protection and TSF ration (If applicable);
· Support partners to Print, and provide the necessary OTP/SC guidelines and protocols for running OTP/SC, photocopy for other related activities.
· Protect, promote, and support Infant and Young Child Feeding (IYCF) program in the health system, including health facilities with due emphasis on enhancing the availability and integration of IYCF counselling services in coordination with IYCF team members.
· In collaboration with partners , ensure Job aids are available in Health posts (HEW quick reference, Look up table, report format, tally sheet, Plump nut and drug stock control balance form)
· Ensure the integration of IYCF to CMAM programming through strengthening of psychosocial & emotional sites & IYCF promotion & counseling with assigned team members.
· Prepare monthly/quarterly/annual project reports.
· Monitor the implementation of the project as per the plan and analyze project data for timely decision making.
· Has capacity to work independently with little support.
. Perform any other tasks assigned by supervisor
Proposals, Monitoring and reporting:
- Collect, Compile and share all required internal ( weekly progress updates, monthly progress reports, monthly management reports, intervention trackers, indicator trackers) and external reports including ( Donor and government quarter, annual and terminal reports), 4W matrixes ( Nutrition and Health ) , and assessments reports to the required body in their due date.
- Assist the national Humanitarian response team in the review of proposals from partners as per the requirement and standard, in making technical monitoring visits and track of their progress when needed .
- Take the lead in the development of the direct intervention proposals and assist the field team and program unit in drafting proposal and ensure the government agreement MoU for each project are signed with relevant regional government Bureaus on time.
- Participate and assist in the implementation and monitoring of WHH direct interventions and sub granted projects.
- Properly facilitate WHH Ethiopia , government and donor monitoring visits and project evaluations.
- Conduct frequent field monitoring visit of the WHH funded Humanitarian response projects and provide feedbacks and remedial action in timely manner.
- Closely work with MEAL team on the project indicator tracking, conducting of different assessments and collection and addressing of client feedbacks.
Representation, Coordination and Working Relationship
- Build strong work relationship with WHH partners , field staff and Addis program and program, finance staff, government and other partners.
- Work closely with WHH Ethiopia and field Humanitarian response team , implementing partners , Program and other units for increased integration and team work.
- Regularly, represent at Addis Ababa, regional and Zonal Nutrition and Health cluster Coordination and other relevant emergency coordination forums with NGOs, UN agencies, government Bureaus in regions and share updates on this and emergency situations to supervisor.
- Assist the regional/zonal cluster in assessment, preparation of guidelines, other technical documents etc.
- Organize and Share regular WHH update to the Nutrition and Health clusters including 4W matrixes.
- The Emergency Nutrition Expert shall take any additional responsibilities as requested by his/her supervisors, Head of Humanitarian Response and other departments.
· BSc degree in Nutrition, Clinical Nursing /Public Health, and related health field of study preferred from accredited universities or health colleges
· 3 years of management experience on IMAM/ Nutrition in Emergencies
· Certificates on: Acute malnutrition 2019 revised guideline training , Revised 2019 IMAM guideline, and IYCF-E training
· 2 years’ experience in managing and coordinating programs/projects .
· Minimum of 5 years of experience, preferably in an international NGO setup
· Previous coordination experience on multi sectors intervention.
· Knowledge and understanding of current contexts and management of emergencies.
· Excellent written and oral communication skills.
· Strong communication, networking, and representation skills.
· Self-motivated, honest, and highly responsible.
· Ability to work as part of a team as well as to work autonomously when required.
· Have excellent skill in coordination and integration with external stakeholders
· Good command of spoken and written English as well as the local language.
Skills required · Related work experiences, preferably in emergency responses
· Knowledge, training, and experience in management of MAM and SAM with/without medical complication
· Demonstrated skills in CMAM program planning, implementation, and monitoring.
· Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team environment.
· Good teamwork and collaboration
· Willingness to work under pressure and extra hours
· A willingness and capacity to be flexible and accommodating when faced with difficult and frustrating working conditions.
· Prepared to live and work in an remote and uncertain security environment
· Fluent in oral and written Amharic and English
How to Apply
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications are invited to submit updated CV (max. of 4 pages) and a short motivation letter to WHH Ethiopia through www.ethiojobs.net no later than May 15, 2023.
Note: Applicants are required to organize their documents (application letter, CV and other document) as a single document i.e. with the cover letter being on the first page and the CV and other credentials starting on the second page. They should also clearly indicate name of position at the subject line of their application letter, applicant who doesn’t follow the required application procedure will automatically be disqualified from the competition.
For more vacancy alerts like this Welthungerhilfe/German Agro Action Vacancy Announcements, join us on Telegram