Capacity Building Senior Officer – Resource and regulatory (Retainer) – UNOPS; September 18 2023
Position: Capacity Building Senior Officer – Resource and regulatory (Retainer)
Location: Addis Ababa
Deadline: September, 25/2023
Background Information – Job-specific
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach mean that we can quickly respond to our partners’ needs while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
Ethiopia Multi-country Office (ETMCO) sub-region currently consists of an established Operation Centre in Addis Ababa which manages a portfolio of engagements in four (4) Horn of Africa countries (Ethiopia, Djibouti, Sudan and South Sudan). ETMCO focuses on Infrastructure, Procurement, Project Management, HR and Transactional Services, and Fund Management services across a wide range of sectors including Health, Education, Agriculture, and Resilient infrastructure among others.
Our goal is to support countries, help people in need and enable our partners through delivering on our mandate of infrastructure, procurement and project management in the countries in the Horn of Africa. Building on our global experience of successfully delivering projects in complex operating environments, a healthy pipeline of engagements is at various stages of discussion with our priority partners.
UNOPS has signed a project agreement with the Ministry of Health to strengthen the Capacity of the Ministry for the Realization of Health Sector Transformation Plan (HSTP-II) on selected priorities. This project will be implemented in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia and the overall objective/purpose is to contribute towards the realization of selected strategic priorities of the Health Sector Transformation Plan (HSTP-II) which is more on project management focusing on institutional capacity building, technical assistance, etc. UNOPS is selected to manage and implement the project by creating a project management unit (PMU).
This unit will be formed by a group of experts and specialists in the relevant matters that will be in charge of delivering the outputs.
The Capacity Building Senior Officer will have a dual line of reporting. First and foremost to the UNOPS Project Manager, with a functional reporting line for deliverables produced under the assignment to the client institution: Office of the State Minister, Resource and Regulatory
- Enhance the provision of equitable and quality comprehensive health services
- Improve access to pharmaceuticals and medical devices and their rational and proper use
- Enhance informed decision-making and innovation, enhance good governance
- Improve regulatory systems
Scope of Work/ Objective
Overall, the main objectives of the role are strengthening the capacity of the State Minister Office in the supply chain, and regulatory system, and to improve management strategies and practices within the office.
- Follow up day to day activities of the State Minister and make minutes on decisions made,
- Follow up and ensure the implementation of decisions made by the state minister,
- Collect feedback on the decisions made by the state minister and bring it to the state minister for review
- Assist the state minister on strategic issues
- Supporting and indicating the feasibility direction application of legal decision implementation
- Adoption of efficiency performance guidelines so that certain legal directions are more applicable, the follow-up to implement consultation and monitoring records
- Support in improving the management of the ministry’s property and management
- Supporting the Honorable Minister of State to focus on health reform
- Assisting in improving the development and management of human resources in the health sector
- Improving the good management of the sector and the monitoring of ethics
- Support the inclusion of women, children and youth in the health sector, increasing the participation and benefit of women and youth, and ensuring the rights and safety of children.
- Provide guidance on the best way to implement the decisions made in common platforms by coordinating various stakeholders based on the existing conditions.
- Improved supply chain system
- Improved availability of pharmaceutical supplies
- Enhanced regulatory system
- The above deliverables are only indicative and are subject to change within the scope of the role.
- Advanced (Master’s Degree or equivalent) University Degree in public health or other related fields is required. OR
- First-level University (Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent) Degree in public health and other related fields with an additional two (2) years of relevant experience may be considered in lieu of the advanced degree.
- At least two (2) years of proven experience in work directly related to high-level management positions in health systems strengthening and program management is required
- Proven experience in primary health care, partnership & alignment, health care financing & resource mobilization, public health emergency management, and evidence use for policy design and evaluation is desirable.
- A proven track record in providing technical assistance and capacity-building support to government institutions is an asset.
- Extensive experience in public health planning, emergency response coordination, and management, preferably in a similar context is desirable.
- Strong knowledge of the Ethiopian public health system and emergency response mechanisms is desirable.
- Fluency in spoken, written and reading English is required.
- Knowledge of another UN official language is an asset.
- Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as a positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
- Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
- Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
- Open to change and flexible in a fast-paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
- Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
- Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Local Individual Contractor Agreement (LICA)
Contract level: LICA-9 (ICS9)
Contract duration: One year, with the possibility of extension.
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
This is a local position and hence is open to Ethiopian nationals only.
- Please note that UNOPS does not accept unsolicited resumes.
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process, which involves various assessments.
- UNOPS embraces diversity and is committed to equal employment opportunity. Our workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages, races, gender identities, sexual orientations, and abilities. UNOPS seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce.
- Qualified women and candidates from groups that are underrepresented in the UNOPS workforce are encouraged to apply. These include in particular candidates from racialized and/or indigenous groups, members of minority gender identities and sexual orientations, and people with disabilities.
- We would like to ensure all candidates perform at their best during the assessment process. If you are shortlisted and require additional assistance to complete any assessment, including reasonable accommodation, please inform our human resources team when you receive an invitation.
Terms and Conditions
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post.
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (they take around 4 hours to complete) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- All UNOPS personnel are responsible for performing their duties in accordance with the UN Charter and UNOPS Policies and Instructions, as well as other relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, all personnel must demonstrate an understanding of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in a manner consistent with UN core values and the UN Common Agenda.
- It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential personnel. Recruitment in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
How to Apply
To apply for a vacancy, please create a UNOPS Jobs Account using the below apply button. This involves submitting details such as personal information, education, experience, languages, skills and other information.
For more vacancy alerts like this UNOPS Vacancy join us on Telegram