Project Management Support Senior Officer – Planning and Monitoring (Retainer) – UNOPS; September 18 2023
Position: Project Management Support Senior Officer – Planning and Monitoring (Retainer)
Location: Addis Ababa
Deadline: September, 25/2023
Background Information – Job-specific
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach mean that we can quickly respond to our partners’ needs while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
Ethiopia Multi-country Office (ETMCO) sub-region currently consists of an established Operation Centre in Addis Ababa which manages a portfolio of engagements in four (4) Horn of Africa countries (Ethiopia, Djibouti, Sudan and South Sudan). ETMCO focuses on Infrastructure, Procurement, Project Management, HR and Transactional Services, and Fund Management services across a wide range of sectors including Health, Education, Agriculture, and Resilient infrastructure among others.
Our goal is to support countries, help people in need and enable our partners through delivering on our mandate of infrastructure, procurement and project management in the countries in the Horn of Africa. Building on our global experience of successfully delivering projects in complex operating environments, a healthy pipeline of engagements are at various stages of discussion with our priority partners.
UNOPS has signed a project agreement with the Ministry of Health to strengthen the Capacity of the Ministry for the Realization of Health Sector Transformation Plan (HSTP-II) on selected priorities. This project will be implemented in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia and the overall objective/purpose is to contribute towards the realization of selected strategic priorities of the Health Sector Transformation Plan (HSTP-II) which is more on project management focusing on institutional capacity building, technical assistance etc. UNOPS is selected to manage and implement the project by creating a project management unit (PMU).
This unit will be formed by a group of experts and specialists in the relevant matters that will be in charge of delivering the outputs.
The Project Management Support – Senior Officer will have a dual line of reporting. First and foremost to the UNOPS Project Manager, with a functional reporting line for deliverables produced under the assignment to the client institution: Strategic Affairs Office
- Enhance informed decision-making and innovation
- Improve health financing
Scope of Work/ Objective
The Project Management Support – Senior Officer will provide technical support to the Policy Plan, Monitoring, and Evaluation Directorate of the Ministry of Health in the Strengthening Policy and Plan preparation process.
- Build strong partnerships with the government and other key stakeholders to ensure the implementation of “One plan, One budget and One report”
- Prepare and share terms of reference for annual plan preparation
- Actively participate in different technical working groups
- Capacitate planners working at national, regional and woreda as well as facility level
- Prepare planning tools and guidelines that help the health sector
- Support to develop harmonized and aligned strategy and annual plan
- Ensure successful implementation of the plan for achieving health outputs, outcomes and impacts
- Organize Woreda Based Health Sector Plan at the national level and assess and identify any gaps in process of Woreda Based Health Sector Planning Process
- Facilitate to conducting Woreda-based plan reconciliation
- Facilitate quality plan alignment with different stakeholders
- Provide support to cascade the core plan up to the individual level.
- Enhance partnerships with different stakeholders to actively participate in the planning and align their respective plans with the health sector
- Provide support in the preparation of performance report;
- Support strengthening multi-sectoral collaboration
- Work with governmental and non-governmental partners to strengthen the implementation of health policy.
- Organize the financial gap of the health sector by geographical and programmatic areas
- Undertake other responsibilities within the scope of the role.
- The strategic plan of the sector (HSTP II) is cascaded and contextualized in all regions
- Plan implementation is periodically reviewed and critically analyzed for feedback
- Annual work plans are readily available harmonized among regions, and directorates and sector agencies
- One plan, one budget and one report approach are fully adhered to and technical support is ensured to all.
- Federal and regional planning experts are mentored and coached
- Monthly and quarterly progress reports submitted
- The above deliverables are only indicative and are subject to change within the scope of the role.
- Advanced University Degree (Master’s Degree or equivalent) in Public Health or other related fields is required. OR
- First-level University Degree (Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent) in Public health or other related fields with an additional two (2) years of relevant experience may be considered in lieu of the advanced degree.
- A minimum of two (2) years of professional work experience in developing the Health Sector Strategic Plan and managing health programs including health sector planning, policy analysis and monitoring and evaluation is required.
- Practical experience and skills in planning tools, such as one-health, and balanced scorecard is desirable.
- Experience within the Ethiopian health system and government policy planning and monitoring is desirable
- Proven ability to analyze routine health information and survey results and prepare analytical reports is required is desirable
- Proficiency in the use of spreadsheets, G-Suits, and SPSS, is an asset.
- Experience in program designing, planning, capacity building and the ability to develop Health Sector Monitoring and evaluation tools and databases is desirable.
- Familiarity with health systems policies and sectoral reform processes; good skill in analysis of situations, projection and scenario developments is desirable
- Fluency in spoken, written, and reading English is required.
- Knowledge of another UN official language is an asset.
Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
- Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as a positive leadership role model motivates, directs, and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
- Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
- Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
- Open to change and flexible in a fast-paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
- Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
- Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise, and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
Contract type, level, and duration
Contract type: Local Individual Contractor Agreement (LICA)
Contract level: LICA-9 (ICS9)
Contract duration: One year, with the possibility of extension.
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
This is a local position and hence is open to Ethiopian nationals only.
- Please note that UNOPS does not accept unsolicited resumes.
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process, which involves various assessments.
- UNOPS embraces diversity and is committed to equal employment opportunity. Our workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages, races, gender identities, sexual orientations, and abilities. UNOPS seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce.
- Qualified women and candidates from groups that are underrepresented in the UNOPS workforce are encouraged to apply. These include in particular candidates from racialized and/or indigenous groups, members of minority gender identities and sexual orientations, and people with disabilities.
- We would like to ensure all candidates perform at their best during the assessment process. If you are shortlisted and require additional assistance to complete any assessment, including reasonable accommodation, please inform our human resources team when you receive an invitation.
Terms and Conditions
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post.
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (they take around 4 hours to complete) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- All UNOPS personnel are responsible for performing their duties in accordance with the UN Charter and UNOPS Policies and Instructions, as well as other relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, all personnel must demonstrate an understanding of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in a manner consistent with UN core values and the UN Common Agenda.
- It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential personnel. Recruitment in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
How to Apply
To apply for a vacancy, please create a UNOPS Jobs Account using the below apply. This involves submitting details such as personal information, education, experience, languages, skills, and other information.
For more vacancy alerts like this UNOPS Vacancy join us on Telegram