WASH Officer Ethiopia Assosa – Norwegian Refugee Council Vacancy Announcement, August 1 2023
Organization: Norwegian Refugee Council
Position: WASH Officer Ethiopia Assosa
Employment: Full time
Date of Announcement: 08/01/2023
The main purpose of the position is to ensure effective planning and quality implementation of the WASH-Hygiene promotion activities in IDPs and Host communities in Benishangul Gumuz and neighboring regions of Amhara and Oromia regions, Ethiopia. The WASH Officer-PHP will assist the WASH/Shelter Coordinator in providing technical support in the development of NRC’s WASH programming for hygiene promotion activities. He/she will also work closely with the other Project Officers and assistants in the field to ensure the timely delivery of quality WASH programme, and will assist the WASH Coordinator in the overall planning and design of (future) projects.
- Ensure adherence to NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines
- Implement delegated support function portfolio according to the plan of action
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management
- Ensure proper filing of documents
- Promote and share ideas for improvement of the support function
- Plan and carry out needs assessments, baseline studies and periodic studies, and feedback findings to the stakeholders.
- Supervise Hygiene Promotion activities in line with relevant standards, codes of conduct, and humanitarian principles.
- Use participatory approaches as far as possible throughout the programme cycle, in training, and in the use of tool kits and other materials.
- Supervise WASH activities and resources so that they are implemented and handed over or ended in a way that promotes local capacities and sustainable operations.
- Recruit, train, and manage subordinate/Public Health Promotion agent’s staff including performance appraisal.
- Organize day-to-day logistics, administration, and personnel activities together with the other sectors.
- Carry out informal and formal training sessions (according to identified needs) and evaluate the impacts of these trainings.
- Enable effective dialogue with the affected community to allow the agency to be held to account for the quality of the WASH program.
- Responsible for overall school WASH activities including training and follow-ups.
- Identification and provision of water treatment chemicals and give them orientation on how to use it.
- Travel regularly to all the NRC implementation sites assessing adherence to set hygiene standards and M&E procedures.
- Support the WASH/Shelter PC in ensuring the implementation of the complaints mechanism and ensuring feedback is timely to the beneficiaries.
- Assist in ensuring cross-cutting issues are incorporated into the WASH-Hygiene Promotion programming.
- Promote safe WASH practices, including appropriate use and maintenance of WASH facilities and services.
- Collect data from the WASH assistants and prepare regular reports on activities and WASH conditions for monitoring.
Generic professional competencies:
- First degree or postgraduate in Environmental Health/ Public health nursing or similar relevant discipline.
- Minimum four years experience working as a WaSH-PHP Project Officer in a humanitarian/recovery context.
- Experience in the implementation of software components of WaSH activities
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Expertise in WaSH programming and integration with nutrition and health sectors
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Fluency in English and Amharic, both written and verbal. Knowledge of the local language is advantageous.
- Ability to work independently in a result-oriented multi-tasking and multi-cultural environment and manage conflicting priorities.
- Proven ability to use MS Office software (especially Word and Excel) is essential. Experience with other computer programs such as SPSS, SAP 2000 and Microsoft Project would be an advantage.
- Handling insecure environment
- Planning and delivering results
- Empowering and building trust
- Communicating with impact and respect
How to Apply
To Apply for this vacancy Click on the ‘Apply Now’ button below. Please make sure that you have read the requirements section very well before you apply.
For more vacancy alerts like Norwegian Refugee Council vacancy announcement, join us on Telegram