WaSH Officer – Development for Peace Organization (DPO) Vacancy Announcement, July 25 2023
Organization: Development for Peace Organization (DPO)
Position: WaSH Officer
Location: Borena Zone (Dubuluk and Moyale Woreda), Oromia
Salary: Gross $1,000
Deadline: August 8, 2023
About the Organization
Development for Peace Organization (DPO) is an Ethiopian civil society organization established in 2020 with a mission of striving to meet the humanitarian and developmental needs of societies regardless of race, color, religion or cultural background. The organization is legally registered to work in Ethiopia (Reg. 5164), South Sudan (Reg. 4178), Kenya (OP.218/051/22-400/12732 and Somalia (Reg. NGOD/Moifar0422/022); it is also processing its registration in Yemen
WASH officers will be responsible for the implementation of the Water, Hygiene and Sanitation program of the Borena project at, Dubluk and Moyale Woredas, IDPs and host community that includes monitoring and supervision of construction of all water schemes, sanitary infrastructures and promotion of Hygiene: safe water management, latrine use for defecation, solid waste disposal, vector control, and environmental health activities and participate on regular hygiene promotion activities with the government health extension workers and reporting to the country program officer.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Serve as the focal point person for all activities related to WASH at respective woredas in Dubluk and Moyale in Borena zone.
- Participate on needs assessments, planning, organizing, and implementation, of WASH programs in the Borena.
- Coordinate in site location, mobilizing the community to participate on the rehabilitation and construction of water schemes, promote community to use latrine for defecation, proper waste management at village and household level, promote safe water management
- Participate on assessment/survey in collaboration with the national WASH teams, and other Woreda staffs.
- Coordinate the construction skilled laborer to monitor the progress of the water schemes and sanitary infrastructure rehabilitation/construction.
- Update the emergency situation in the Woreda on bi-weekly bases.
- Facilitate in working with relevant partners government sector offices: water, health, and DPPC or other NGO’s and GO’s
- Facilitate in the selection, designing, pre-testing, developing, dissemination and evaluation of appropriate hygiene educational materials for effective hygiene promotion program;
- Facilitate in organizing WaSHCo and hygiene promotion trainings and workshops for the water management team and other partners (women groups, health agents, water committee, etc. in the woredas) and coordinate in preparation and organizing all the required training materials;
- Facilitate in documenting health related data and keep records on activities of hygiene promotion and sanitation;
- Prepare monthly reports and submit to the supervisor on the work progress of hygiene promotion and sanitation activities;
- Participate in other WaSH activities as assigned by the supervisor.
- Collaborate with other DPO programs in the target Woreda.
- Represent the DPO in WASH cluster, other government meetings as a focal point.
- Conduct other tasks as per assigned by the immediate supervisor.
Reports to: Project Coordinator
- BSc or MSc Degree in the area of Environmental Health, Behavioral Science, Health Education and Promotion or Public Health,
- At least 3 years of relevant work experience.
- Commitment to DPO’s mission- Improve the quality of life through health interventions and related activities that build local capacity.
- Working knowledge of English and local language Afaan Oromoo (spoken and written)
- Preferable to use Office Word, and Excel
- Able to live and work with a multicultural team under difficult conditions
Compliance & Ethics:
Promotes and encourages a culture of compliance and ethics throughout Development for Peace Organization. As applicable to position, maintains a clear understanding of DPO’ and donor compliance and ethics standards and adheres to those standards. Conducts work with the highest level of integrity. Communicates these standards to partners and requires them to adhere to these values.
Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse:
Actively promote PSEA (Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse) standards within Development for Peace Organization and amongst beneficiaries served by Development for peace Organization.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates shall fill out this form https://forms.office.com/r/A9ebBfqE2M and submit their motivation letter along with their non-returnable updated resume as a Merged PDF file through firstname.lastname@example.org until August 8, 2023.
Qualified women are highly appreciated to apply!
Note: Use “WaSH Officer ” as the subject line of your email !
DPO is committed to diversity and inclusion in its workforce and encourages all candidates to apply to join the organization, regardless of gender, nationality, religious or ethnic heritage, or disability.
DPO has a zero-tolerance policy for sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, authority abuse, and discrimination. DPO follows the principles of UN Child Protection. As a result, all shortlisted candidates will be subjected to thorough reference and background checks, as well as being expected to conform to these standards and principles.
For more vacancy alerts like this DPO vacancy announcement, join us on Telegram