CARE Ethiopia Vacancy Announcement, March 14, 2023
Organization: CARE Ethiopia
Position: Senior Program Manager
Employment: Full Time
Location: Addis Ababa
Experience Level: Managerial Level (10 years)
Number of Positions:
Date of Announcement: March 13, 2023
Deadline: March 18, 2023
CARE is an international NGO with local staff and community partners in more than 90 countries. We create local solutions to poverty and inequality, and we seek dignity for everyone every day and during times of crisis. These solutions have a broad range, from clean water to access to education; from microfinance to ensuring that everyone has nutritious food; from agriculture and climate change to disaster response. CARE puts women and girls at the center of everything we do because they have proven to be the best hope for creating lasting change in the world. Our staff live where they work, which makes us effective at understanding the challenges they face. We’ve been doing this for over 70 years, since World War II. It started with the world’s first CARE Package® of food for the post-war hungry in Europe. Our work today is as important as ever, we believe that poverty and inequality are historic injustices that we can end within a generation, for good. If you share our core beliefs: poverty is an injustice; poverty is solvable; and together, we have the power to end it, join us.
I. Job Summary
The purpose of Senior Program Manager-Health, Equity and Right [HER]-position is to provide management support and supervision to the team of technical managers and program support team belonging to CARE Ethiopia’s HER Unit. She/He will work directly with HERs’ program managers during proposal development as well as direct liaison and coordination with the Learning Design and Measurement (LDM) Manager. She/He contributes significantly to the Country Office’s commitment to quality HER programming by identifying and mobilizing resources, maintaining donor relations, and contributing to strategic planning, representing CARE in internal and external fora, building the capacity of program staff, and contributing to learning and knowledge management. She/He will be responsible for ensuring coherence between project documents, including log frames, narrative proposals, and budgets and for providing direct support during proposal development processes. She/He will liaise and coordinate directly with CARE Ethiopia’s Business Development team during proposal development and Contracting process. The Senior Program Manager will also be required to demonstrate competencies in multi-tasking, take tangible measures to strengthen and maintain strong interrelationship between program and program support functions, organize work of the teams, liaise, and represent CARE Ethiopia with Government counterparts and local partners, and work well under pressure by involving her or his workforce.
The position holder will report to the HER Program Coordinator.
Job Responsibility #1 Program Development and Implementation (25%)
- Support program Coordinator and program managers in the identification of new business opportunities reflecting CARE Ethiopia HER Strategy, and that all thematic areas are adequately resourced.
- Coordinate with internal processes, from Go/No-Go until the signing of donor contract/agreement, for all new funding opportunities.
- Lead and coordinate HER programs portfolio and finalization to ensure quality and on-time implementation.
- Coordinate and liaise with CARE Ethiopia Business development about new opportunities and more specifically work with agreed contacts on new proposal opportunities
- Ensure HER programs are implemented in line with CARE’s strategic direction for HER portfolio.
- Ensure that new projects accurately budget and fulfill for core HER unit requirements.
- Ensure that new projects & integrates up to date technical standards & guidance for each sector .
- In collaboration with HER program coordinator, lead and communicate with all donors for budget realignment.
Job Responsibility #2: Networking and Representation and program standards (15%)
- In collaboration with the program coordinator, liaise with all stakeholders and regularly represent CARE Ethiopia in technical forums, and workshops at national level for purposes of influencing and advocating policies in favor of poor and marginalized communities.
- In collaboration with program coordinator promote networking with other stakeholders working with similar impact groups to explore new partnerships.
- In collaboration with CARE’s PQL unit take the lead in setting quality standards and ensuring quality control mechanism are in place in close consultation with the LDM function.
- In coordination with the LDM staffs and the program managers, ensure regular monitoring of project activities is being conducted
- In collaboration with HER program coordinator, ensure documentation and dissemination of learning and integration into new proposals.
- Support documentation of best practice and thought leadership in HER sector.
- Ensure the development of realistic and strategically focused detailed implementation plans (DIP) per project which encompass existing commitments to donors and government and are subsequently supported by individual operation plans of the field office team.
- Lead the provision and support to grant start-up and any required training for partner and other stakeholders.
- Provide support to closeout process for assigned projects.
- Monitor the timely and appropriate support (technical, administrative and financial) by the respective departments and sections for quality program implementation.
- In collaboration with HER program coordinator, ensure that reports are prepared and submitted to concerned parties, donors, counterparts and CARE members on time and in a professional quality manner.
- Ensure compliance with specific Donor’s and CARE’s policies and procedures.
- Ensure capacities of FO staff strengthened to mainstream and adopt organizational core values, policies, procedures and program approaches (e.g.SAA, GED, CI program standards and principles) are clearly understood and adhered to in the daily functioning of the field offices and that information to monitor program progress and organizational performance, including periodic audits, is collected and used for organizational learning, decision-making and reporting, and for promoting innovations
- Ensure program materials are regularly shared with PQL team for fundraising purposes and external communications.
- Ensure protection and gender issues are mainstreamed in new proposals in coordination with the HPMs and the HOM, work with FOs to ensure FO program initiatives progressively include communities and local organizations in participatory planning and implementation of development projects.
Job Responsibility #3: People Management (15%)
- Provide proper supervision and management for all direct reports and lead the establishment and functioning of a strong, effective, and coordinated Program team.
- Ensure the proper implementation of CARE’s performance management system for direct reports, including job description and APO development, regular feedback, mid-term reviews and annual performance appraisals.
- Directly liaise with grant and sub grant team
- Proactively address performance issues through regular, constructive & honest feedback and coaching.
- In collaboration with HER program coordinator, identify necessary staff development, career development and succession planning strategies for direct reports.
- Oversee the recruitment and orientation of new program staff.
- In collaboration with HER coordinator facilitate conflict resolution mechanisms and ensure that grievance and whistle-blowing mechanisms are functional and fairly administered as per CARE policy.
- In collaboration with the program coordinator, the incumbent will manage field office based senior project managers or project managers.
Job Responsibility #4: Operational guidance and Financial Management (30%)
- Establish robust operational systems and processes so that program/Project Managers can properly implement their projects in a timely fashion and to ensure compliance with all donor rules and regulations.
- Closely coordinate with the Procurement, logistics, HR and Administration team to cost-effectiveness, and timely receipt/disbursement of materials and equipment to HER program.
- Engage in business development and lead the development of budgets as part of the financial proposal development.
- Ensure budget utilization and establish systems to improve financial management and utilization of unit budgets per plans and commitments made to donors and government, and that appropriate revisions and adjustments are made as required.
- Work closely with CARE’S financial analysis and reporting manager on HER budget pipeline analysis to ensure real time budget monitoring.
- Support HRMs and the program managers in efforts to ensure field level expenses are managed efficiently and recorded in a timely manner
- Oversight monitoring and accountability for the timely implementation of audit recommendations and other field visits suggestions by CARE and non-CARE experts.
Job Responsibility No. 5: Learning, documentation and dissemination (10%)
- Establish and maintain formal and informal communication mechanisms with government, local partners, donors and other stakeholders,
- Monitor developments in the HER sector at large and in CARE Ethiopia’s key sectors of competence and share accordingly with the wider team.
- Participate in the documentation and dissemination of lessons learned and best practice.
- In collaboration with the program coordinator, the incumbent will monitor and support local partners and identify and act capacity development needs.
Job Responsibility #6: Other (5%)
- Perform other duties as assigned
III. GENDER EQUALITY
- Understanding and demonstrated commitment to the importance of gender, youth and social inclusion issues.
- Demonstrated commitment to principles of Gender Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and PSEAH (safeguarding), as evidenced in previous positions / programming
- MSc. in public health, sexual and reproductive health, health, Nutrition, social science, gender, or equivalent combination of education and work experience or related field of study. 6 years of relevant experience with the first degree, 5 years of relevant experience plus post graduate degree.
- At least 2 years of management experience.
- 5 – 6 years of experience working in sexual and reproductive health, adolescent sexual and reproductive health program, community engagement, –with a minimum of 3 years in senior leadership role
- Understanding of the importance of gender, SRHR, adolescence and social inclusion, sustainable development
- Demonstrated commitment to principles of gender, equity, diversity, inclusion, child safeguarding and PSHEA (safeguarding) through previous positions or programming experience.
- Key sectoral experience in CARE Ethiopia sectoral competency areas (SRHR, adolescent SRH, women empowerment, nutrition, social accountability)
How to Apply
If you are interested to be part of our dynamic team, exciting work environment and contribute to CARE Ethiopia’s mission and vision, please send your CV (not more than 3 pages) and cover letter (not more than one page) through https://phg.tbe.taleo.net/phg02/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=CAREUSA&cws=52&rid=6439
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Passionate and dedicated candidates who meet the requirement are strongly encouraged to apply, especially women!
CARE seeks to improve the lives of the most marginalized, particularly women and girls. Our diversity is our strength. We encourage people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply.
CARE Ethiopia is committed to preventing all unwanted behavior at work. This includes sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, and child abuse. We expect everyone who works for us to share this commitment by understanding and working within the CARE Safeguarding Policy and related framework. CARE Ethiopia has a zero-tolerance approach to any harm to, or exploitation of, a vulnerable adult or child by any of our staff, representatives, or partners.
CARE Ethiopia reserves the right to seek information from job applicants’ current and/or previous employers about incidents of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and/or sexual harassment the applicant may have been found guilty to have committed or about which an investigation was in the process of being carried out at the time of the termination of the applicant’s employment with that employer.
By submitting the application, the job applicant confirms that s/he has no objection to CARE Ethiopia requesting the information specified above. All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and appropriate screening checks
Click HERE to view on source and apply
For more vacancy alerts like this Ethiopian Public Health Institute Vacancy Announcement, Join us on Telegram