Program Manager – Operation Smile Vacancy Announcement, September 22 2023
Organization: Operation Smile
Position: Program Manager
Location: Addis Ababa
Employment: Full time
Deadline: October 2, 2023
The Program Manager supports the advancement of OS Ethiopia’s programming and operations objectives under the guidance of the Country Manager (CM). The Program Manager is responsible for oversight of programmatic activity, management of programmatic team members, and will work in collaboration with the Country Manager to ensure deliverables for Ethiopia’s country plans which include outreach, patient registry, surgical, and non-surgical programs. The Program Manager, in alignment with the Country Manager, will also support the management of local volunteers from the recruitment processes to managing volunteer needs and placements plus post placement reporting and assessments.
Strategic Planning and Implementation
- Working closely with the Country Manager, identify and design Ethiopia country goals for growth and refresh and support a 3–5-year strategic plan for overall cleft care in Ethiopia.,
- Collaborating with technical leads, implement annual and long-term country plans.
- Annually operationalize the strategic plan with supporting budgets and with relevant recommendations for CM, Regional Director, Regional Senior Vice President, Regional Finance Director and OSI.
- Work with Country Manager to build NGO partnerships and further collaboration opportunities to enhance outreach and our work in the community.
- Working with the CM, establish effective and co-designed hospital partnerships in alignment with Operation Smile’s overarching organizational goals. This will align with the ‘hub’ and ‘spoke’ model, adapted for the Ethiopia context.
- Effectively collaborate with appropriate government, non-government, international agencies and establish good working relationships with community groups, volunteers, funders, and other stakeholders.
- Oversee the efficient and effective day-to-day programmatic operations while maintaining a working knowledge of significant developments and trends in the field.
- Organize and manage fact finds and assessment trips to set up and prepare for programs in new sites for new programs and partnerships.
- Oversee the planning, implementation and evaluation of programs and services. This includes extended, roaming post-operative trips associated with medical programs.
- When required, work in collaboration with HQ and the research and outcomes department to formulate research proposals and projects, support in getting the research approved by IRB and finding of implementing partners in each country to assist with research.
- Support foundations with communication of research results and implementing of any suggestions from information gathered.
Comprehensive Care Provision
- Working with the CM, develop clear strategies for the implementation and budgeting for comprehensive care through the hub and spoke model.
- Provide continuous technical support to non-surgical program coordinator in Jimma.
- Develop strategy for the expansion of Comprehensive Care Provision in Ethiopia.
- Support training initiatives where appropriate to enable the strategy which will be implemented over five-year period with clearly identified milestones and outcomes and outputs utilizing OS technical lead guidance and support.
- Ensure full M&E of these activities by area.
- Manage surgical programs, ensuring the proper execution of patient sequencing, short-term surgical programs, and surgical education activities. This includes leading fact finds, hospital assessments, hospital visits, surgical training rotations, visiting professorships, missions, or any other OSI surgical activities.
- Oversee the implementation of surgical programs, prioritizing the well-being and safety of all volunteers, patients, and other staff involved and coordinating all logistics. Collaborate with the Program Coordinator(s) to ensure smooth operations.
- Plan, source, and effectively manage all equipment and supplies required to support surgical programs by ensuring availability and clearance of required cargo and in-country procurement of all needed items.
- Facilitate the proper management of patients who experience medical complications or adverse events during surgical programs. This involves coordinating their hospital care, referrals, counseling, and providing support to the volunteer team responsible for their treatment and their families.
- Ensure timely submission of all program reports to relevant parties upon program completion. Address any challenges identified during program implementation through appropriate follow-up actions.
Monitoring and Evaluation, Donor Reporting, and Internal Reporting
- Work with the in-country M&E Coordinator to ensure relevant data collection is implemented.
- Ensure monthly M&E data is given to the Programs Department monthly.
- Provide accurate reports on programs to help plan and develop future ones.
- Ensure restricted funding activities reach targets for all donors.
- Provide relevant information on restricted income expenditure by program activities to support relevant donors and internal fundraising office reports.
- Working with CM, identify crucial cadres for volunteer requirements for Ethiopia to support local activity and for the region with relevant follow up with Regional Volunteer Manager to facilitate their credentialing process.
- Together, develop a process for recruitment, credentialing and volunteer retention.
- Work with program coordination team to manage volunteer needs and set expectations prior to both local and international placement.
- Manage and keep on file the participation of medical volunteers in programs both within and outside Ethiopia, assisting with logistics (flights/visas/paperwork) and keeping track of their movements.
- Work with the programs team in helping to facilitate medical volunteer’s participation and with non-medical volunteer’s involvement in workshops and conferences outside of Ethiopia.
- Recruit medical volunteers with set annual goals for the cadres within the volunteer base with continuous monitoring thereafter.
- Provide support and maintain communication with the OS Ethiopia CM, Finance Manager, fellow Ethiopian colleagues and local partners during the planning, execution, and follow-up phases of programs.
- Work with Regional Medical Officer to ensure Global Standards of Care are communicated to all parties involved and made the essential priority to ensure safe, successful surgical programs and their facilitation always.
- Support and ensure constructive communication between various departments at HQ and foundations around the globe.
- Ensure clear communication with various departments for planning of any program activities, surgical or training events, and support foundation in the implementing thereof.
- In collaboration with CM and HQ, initiate and implement resource mobilization strategies.
General Team Performance
- Leads and manages program team, setting milestones and goals for each.
- Prepares for, actively participates in, and/or leads scheduled team meetings.
- Prepares for and actively participates in team reviews.
- Updates all current working documents including one-pagers, schedules, and timelines across programmatic areas that he or she is responsible for.
- Has a good understanding and is knowledgeable of Operation Smile programs conducted globally.
- Works with CM on preparation of reports and presentations for OSI and the region.
- Pension contributions
- Medical coverage
Experience Required (education/work):
- Bachelor’s degree in Medicine/ Nursing/ Clinical Medicine /Public Health
- 5+ years of international program / project experience
- 5+ years of office experience
- Work experience in an international NGO context (Medical health development experience preferred)
- Post graduate MPH or other relevant development degree preferred
- Valid Passport and driving license holder
- Ability to travel locally and international as required and as requested
- Excellent oral and written English communication skills required.
- Ability to use Excel, Word and Powerpoint effectively
- Ability to create and manage financial spread sheets and financial templates
- Must have excellent organization and time management skills and be able to prioritize requests efficiently and effectively
- Must be a motivated individual with proven ability to lead, coordinate and facilitate projects and teams with internal and external stakeholders
- Strong project management skills with proven experience to date
- Pro-active and approachable personality with ability to manage stress and communicate responses appropriately.
- Must be able to handle issues with diplomacy, tact and cultural sensitivity
- Ability to work off hours (on-call), sometimes responding to calls or e-mails early in the morning, late at night or on weekends.
How to Apply