Non-Surgical Program Coordinator – Operation Smile Vacancy Announcement, September 22 2023
Organization: Operation Smile
Position: Non-Surgical Program Coordinator
Employment: Full time
Deadline: October 2, 2023
Non-Surgical Program Coordinator position is responsible for supporting and facilitating the planning, coordination and follow-up of non-surgical programs as well as supporting non-surgical (nutrition, dental, speech therapy, and psychosocial) patient management activities in Jimma, Ethiopia. This includes facilitating patient admission, patient health recorded, patient referrals, sequencing patients for surgery, coordinating surgical training rotations and visiting professorships, and clearing cargo. The Non-Surgical Program Coordinator will report to the Program Manager and collaborate with the Country Manager, Regional Director for East Africa, Regional Medical Officer, and other departments at OSI to facilitate successful and safe programs. The Non-Surgical Program Coordinator will also facilitate relationships with necessary government, hospital, and other stakeholders to implement these programs
Non-Surgical Programs – Planning, Implementation and Administration
- Coordinate execution of the annual non-surgical program plan activities for Jimma, Ethiopia, including fact finds, assessments, patient recruitment, patient sequencing, hospital visits, outreach, short-term non-surgical program, and hospital-based non-surgical programs.
- Plan, implement and wrap-up non-surgical programs in Jimma, including responsibilities for volunteer, patient, and hospital logistics. Programs will include but are not limited to nutrition, dental, speech, and psychosocial.
- Specific work includes volunteer accommodation, transport & meals, confirmation of in-country volunteer participation, application for temporary medical licensure and visas, cargo clearance and in-country medical supply procurement, patient accommodation, transport & meals, and collaboration with the hospital to confirm dates of the program and that space and supplies are provided to host the program safely and successfully.
- Liaise with necessary departments at OSI in the implementation of programs.
- Facilitate the safety of all programs based on the Global Standards of Care with the Regional Medical Officer, Regional Program Manager, and other medical leadership.
- Provide reports on programs to facilitate institutional knowledge and lessons learned for future programs.
- Provide feedback to sponsors and volunteers.
- Work with the Country Program Manager and Regional Director to build NGO partnerships and further collaboration opportunities.
Patient Recruitment and Referrals
- Help develop and implement a patient recruitment strategy for cleft patients in Jimma Ethiopia with support from the Program Manager, Country Manager and Regional Director.
- Collaborate with government liaisons, patient advocates, development partners and other stakeholders.
- Manage patient admission referral process and patient database, and its integration into the patient recruitment strategy and surgical delivery programs.
- Support patient recruitment with our partners.
- Coordinate quarterly outreach program in JUMC and its surroundings.
Medical Cargo Facilitation & Administration
- Collaborate with OSI logistics department, Program Manager, Regional Director, and Regional Program Coordinator regarding the best practices and creative solutions for procuring needed materials to support service delivery programs in Ethiopia.
- Develop required lists of supplies and collaborate with other stakeholders to identify a supply chain plan.
- Support with procuring pharmaceuticals and consumables from in-country sources as needed.
- Support cargo clearance for shipments as needed.
- Manage OSI Medical equipment at Jimma medical center.
Collaboration with Education Partners
- Represent Operation Smile in its partnership with Jimma University Medical Center (JUMC) and other in-country stakeholders to increase the provision of comprehensive care services.
- Ensure that regular surgical care is provided by the surgical team at JUMC in collaboration with the JUMC Medical Director. Support on-going communication between OS and the JUMC.
- Identify and incorporate training opportunities provided through and to the plastic and reconstructive surgery department, anesthesia department, biomedical and nursing departments.
- Work closely with JUMC school of dental, nutrition department, and psychosocial unit.
Communication and Collaboration
- Provide support and maintain communication with the Country Manager, Regional Director, Regional Program Coordinator, other departments at HQ, and local hospital, government, NGO, and other partners during the planning, execution and follow-up phases of all programs.
- Pension contribution
- Medical coverage
Probation Period: 45 days
- Position will be based in Jimma, Ethiopia, and may include monthly/quarterly travel throughout other potential program areas in Ethiopia. Periodic international travel may also be required.
- Daily work, when not running programs, is expected to be a full workday (8hrs).
- Position will follow Ethiopian holiday schedule.
- Position will seek access to increased communication capabilities as feasible.
Experience Required (education/work):
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Health, medical degree, Social Sciences, Non-profit Management, International Relations, or a related field.
- 2+ years of international program / project experience.
- 2+ years of office experience.
- Work experience in surgical Program
- Work experience in an international NGO context is advantages.
- Medical field exposure would be helpful.
- Excellent oral and written skill in English, Affan Oromiffa, and Amharic language communication skills required.
- Ability to work off hours (on-call), sometimes responding to calls or e-mails early in the morning, late at night or on weekends.
- Willingness to travel within Ethiopia as needed, including weekdays and weekends.
- Must have excellent organization and time management skills and be able to prioritize requests efficiently and effectively.
- Approachable personality with ability to manage stress and communicate needs appropriately.
- Must be a motivated individual with proven ability to lead, coordinate, and facilitate projects and teams.
- Must be able to handle issues with diplomacy, tact, and cultural sensitivity.
How to Apply