Monitoring & Evaluation Expert (AfCDC) – African Union Vacancy Announcement, June 8 2023
Organization: African Union
Position: Monitoring & Evaluation Expert (AfCDC)
Employment: Full-Time, Contract
Place of Work: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Salary: US$ 96,921.34
Application Deadline: July, 07/2023
Purpose of Job
The African Union, established as a unique Pan African continental body, is charged with spearheading Africa’s rapid integration and sustainable development by promoting unity, solidarity, cohesion and cooperation among the peoples of Africa and African States as well as developing a new partnership worldwide. Its Headquarters is located in Addis Ababa, capital city of Ethiopia.
Officially launched in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, in 2017 as a specialized technical institution of the African Union, the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC) is Africa’s first continent-wide public health agency. Africa CDC envisions a safer, healthier, integrated, and stronger Africa, where the Member States can effectively respond to outbreaks of infectious diseases and other public health threats. The agency’s mission is to strengthen the capabilities of Africa’s public health institutions and systems to detect and respond quickly and effectively to disease outbreaks and other health burdens through an integrated network of continent-wide surveillance, laboratory, disease control and prevention, preparedness and response, and research programs. To achieve its mission, the Africa CDC works in all geographic regions of the African continent and has instituted technical divisions to focus on five priority areas, namely Surveillance and -Disease Intelligence, Laboratory Systems and Networks, Disease Control and Prevention, Preparedness and Response, and Public Health Institutes and research.
The M&E Expert reports directly to the Project Coordinator. S/he serves as the focal point for monitoring and evaluation of the World Bank financed projects, other donor grants and other activities funded by external partners and implemented by Africa CDC. S/he will be responsible for monitoring and evaluation of the project in accordance with the donor and Africa CDC guidelines and ensure timely reporting to the Africa CDC and the World Bank, for relevant programming. The M&E Expert will be responsible for guiding the monitoring and evaluation strategy and support the follow through of the results framework. S/he will provide support to the implementation of the overall M&E related activities within the project and avail timely and relevant information to the project coordinator and project stakeholders.
Monitoring and Evaluation Strategy
• Develop and implement the AU/Africa CDC’s M&E strategy, including M&E framework, theory of change, log frame and defining indicators and targets, selecting appropriate data collection methods and tools, and designing data management systems in compliance with the donor.
• Work with division staff to ensure that program designs include clear and measurable objectives, outputs, and outcomes, and that M&E systems are integrated into the program implementation.
Data Collection and Management
• Develop and implement data collection and management systems that enable the organization to track progress, measure impact, and learn from its work.
• Ensure that data collection methods and tools are appropriate, efficient, and accurate.
• Ensure that data is regularly collected, analyzed, and reported to program staff, donors, and other stakeholders.
Data Analysis and Reporting
• Analyze M&E data and develop regular reports on program progress, impact, and lessons learned.
• Disseminate M&E findings to program staff, donors, and other stakeholders through various channels.
• Use M&E data to inform program design, implementation, and decision-making.
• Provide technical support to divisions staff on M&E-related issues, including developing logical frameworks, designing surveys and assessments, and conducting data analysis.
• Develop and deliver training to program staff on M&E concepts, tools, and methodologies.
• Conduct regular quality assurance checks on M&E data to ensure accuracy, completeness, and consistency.
• Ensure that M&E systems and tools comply with international best practices, and that data is collected and managed in a secure and ethical manner.
Work Plan Development
• Work with divisions staff to develop budgets for the project activities, including data collection, analysis, and reporting.
• Provide appropriate templates for work planning
• Track the implementation of the activities and tasks in the approved work plan
• Lead in capacity building of divisions staff and implementing partners in all monitoring and evaluation aspects.
• Provide guidance in development of tools and templates for data collection, analysis, and reporting in line with the World Bank Project’s results framework.
• Providing leadership and coordination in the collection, analysis and utilization of data to inform strategic management decision making and programme design in Africa CDC.
• Provide technical support in the preparation and implementation of programmes developed out of the Division’s strategic plan
• Prepare and develop reports, budget and work programmes related to the functioning of the Division
• Provide technical support for the development of resource mobilization strategy with stakeholder’s coordination
• Coordinating with the Technical Divisions to procure the necessary data to maintain the Monitoring and results framework updated.
• Manage and supervise employees under their supervision with regard to organization and performance evaluation.
• Conduct complex analysis and generate accurate reports in a timely manner for the Division and AU’s internal use.
• Actively contribute in the development of strategies, policies, programmes and plans
• Development and roll out of M&E policies, procedures, and guidelines
• Provide technical support in designing and conducting of baseline surveys, mid-term, final and impact evaluations.
• Develop, implement and maintain a central repository for monitoring and evaluation documentation, including the preparation and maintenance of a standard operating procedure for document storage.
• Develop, implement and maintain a central monitoring and tracking system for programmes, projects, donor grants and other commitments for which progress monitoring and evaluation reporting is required.
• Develop, implement and maintain the Africa CDC programme monitoring and evaluation framework and ensures all required reporting is prepared and submitted as specified by Africa Union guidance and procedures;
• In collaboration with the Project Coordinator, other staff and collaborating partners, develops approaches and plans for monitoring and evaluation reporting as specified in donor grant agreements. Ensure required reporting is prepared and submitted as specified in the World Bank and other donor grant agreements. Organize and undertake training with collaborating partners on M&E as required;
• Ensures data and reporting collected throughout the project implementation meeting reporting criteria and quality specified by the AU and the donor
• Ensure project evaluations are conducted in line with the Africa CDC policies and donor requirements.
• Act as a liaison contact with RCCs and Member States for the collection of information pertaining to the Results Framework that is not collected by the Technical Divisions.
• Additional assignments given by the respective coordinator as related to the implementation of this project.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
Master’s Degree in monitoring and evaluation, statistics, demographics, public policy, public health, international development, economics, or related field and minimum of seven (7) years of years relevant professional experience, out of which three years need to be at expert level.
• Bachelor’s Degree in monitoring and evaluation, statistics, demographics, public policy, public health, international development, economics, or related field and a minimum of ten (10) years relevant professional experience, out of which three years need to be at expert level..
• Professional certificates in monitoring and evaluation and data analysis
• Membership of a professional body relevant to monitoring and evaluation is an added advantage
• Minimum on seven (7) years and ten (10) years continuous experience for Masters and Bachelor Degree holders respectively, providing monitoring and evaluation systems and other performance measurement support for public health projects, preferably in the public sector domain or in International Non-Governmental Organizations.
• Proven success in designing, implementing, and operating project M&E systems from project initiation to closeout stages.
• Experience in strategic planning and performance measurement, including indicator selection, target setting, reporting, database management, and developing M&E and/performance monitoring plans.
• Experience developing and refining data collection tools.
• Experience performing a variety of conceptual analyses required for the formulation, administration and evaluation of projects.
• Experience with data quality assessments and oversight
• Experience working with AU or the World Bank will be an added advantage
• Solid understanding of project M&E
• Working knowledge and understanding of developing M&E systems, M&E plans, Theory of change and log frames.
• Knowledge and understanding of development and tracking of SMART indicators
• Knowledge of the major evaluation methodologies (e.g., qualitative, quantitative, mixed method, and impact) and data collection and analysis methodologies applied to programme implementation.
• Ability to facilitate and serve as project liaison for externally managed evaluations.
• Resourceful and skilled at collecting, analyzing and using data to recommend, make and communicate decisions of a technical nature lay audiences;
• Skills in translating technical information into presentations, briefings and report and funding proposals for lay audiences.
• Resourceful and skilled at collecting, analyzing and using data to recommend, make and communicate decisions of a technical nature to lay audiences.
• Demonstrated ability with regard to computer skills, including excellent word-processing capabilities, proficiency with e-mail and internet applications and experience in using office software applications such as MS Excel, Power Point and Word, and familiarity with electronic data capture like ODK.
• Ability to deliver under tight deadlines and works well under pressure;
• Proven ability to plan, delegate and direct subordinates.
• Analytical and problem-solving abilities;
• Ability to use clear, concise language in correspondence as well as including content fitting for the purpose and audiences when preparing written briefs and reports;
• Excellent diplomatic, representational, interpersonal and communication skills, including experience successfully interacting with stakeholders and decision-makers in technical and other professional settings;
• Able to operate in a multicultural environment;
• High level of autonomy at work, yet with profound team-spirit;
• Adaptive, patient, resourceful, resilient and flexible;
• Pro-active and solutions oriented.
• Experience conducting M&E for public health projects in multiple countries
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Proficiency in one of the AU working languages is required (English, French, Arabic, Kiswahili, Portuguese or Spanish). Fluency in English and knowledge of any additional language is an added advantage.
TENURE OF APPOINTMENT:
The Appointment will be made on a fixed term contract for a period of one (1) year, of which the first three (3) months will be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract may be renewed for a similar period subject to funding availability, satisfactory performance and agreed deliverables.
The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
The salary attached to the position is an annual lump-sum of US$ 96,921.34 (P3 Step 5) inclusive of all allowances for internationally recruited staff, and US$ 78,461.08 inclusive of all allowances for locally recruited staff of the African Union Commission.
How to Apply
Applications must be made not later than 11:59pm (EAT) July 7, 2023.
Only candidates who have met all the requirements of the post and have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
Only applications registered online with a complete curriculum vitae (CV) attached will be considered.
The Africa Union is an equal-opportunity employer, and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Requisition ID: 1877
For more vacancy alerts like This African Union vacancy announcement, join us on Telegram