Immunization Vaccine and Logistics Consultant – UNICEF Vacancy Announcement, April 27 2023
Position: Immunization Vaccine and Logistics Consultant
Employment: Full-Time, Contract
Place of Work: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Deadline: May, 05/2023
Join our team to provide support to FMOH- EPI case team and EPSA to manage the overall immunization supply chain including vaccines, dry supplies and other immunization-related logistics and the cold chain. The mandate includes support for forecasting and planning for procurement, receiving in the country, timely distribution, distribution and monitoring of utilization and stock management and periodic reporting on stocks for vaccines and logistics for EPI, COVID-19, and Supplementary Immunization Activities.
- To conduct a situation assessment on the immunization supply chain system at the national and sub-national levels.
- Support immunization supply chain management system design, planning to follow up of implementation
- Provide quality technical support on the operation of cold chain optimization plan (CCEOP)
- Provide technical support procurement process, vaccine receiving form receiving, timely distribution, monitoring utilization and stock management, and periodically reporting stock for routine immunization and SIAs.
Scope of Work
Immunization Vaccine and Logistics Officer will provide technical assistance to the FMoH and EPSA on immunization supply-chain situation analysis, planning, forecasting, procurement process, receiving, distribution, monitoring utilization, stock management, inventory, and periodic reporting and support capacity building of RHBs and EPSA Regional Hubs to manage cold chain and vaccine logistics supply chain.
- Conduct situation analysis for the supply chain system for immunization in the country and identify bottlenecks and causalities
- Provide quality technical support on the supply chain on immunization for designing and planning, and monitoring of implementation.
- Collaborate with Program and Logistics Working Groups on immunization supply chain and service delivery, including EPI, COVID-19 vaccination, and SIAs.
- Support capacity building of immunization vaccine and logistic focal persons in regions.
- Support periodic updates on inventory and documentation for reporting of immunization supplies
Under the guidance of the FMoH, EPI case team leader and UNICEF immunization specialist, the Immunization Vaccine and Logistic consultant will undertake the following activities:
- Conduct immunization cold chain and supply chain system situation analysis
- Conduct immunization supply chain system situation assessment including cold chain, vaccine, dry supplies at the national, sub-national, and service delivery level
- Conduct bottlenecks and root cause analysis of supply chain management system to drive improvements and ensure efficient and effective supply chains for children
- Assess the adequacy of cold rooms for the vaccine, dry storage facilities, capacity, and safety store for current and future needs and suggest a recommendation
- Support inventory and update of installed and pipeline cold chain equipment to meet current and anticipated future program need.
- Provide quality technical support on immunization supply chain design and planning
- Provide support on designing and development of cold chain installation, maintenance, inventory, and monitor status for appropriate action
- In consultation with the EPI case team, EPSA hubs and RHBs, support cold chain optimization platform (CCEOP) operation and participate in planning, implementation, monitoring, evaluation, and taking corrective action
- Status of the logistics data management system in place to ensure quality equipment installation, commissioning, timely service and maintenance interventions, and performance monitoring to CCE
- Provide quality support on timely planning, forecasting requesting cold chain equipment, vaccine, and dry supplies
- Ensure products and services are fit for purpose
- Collaborate with program and logistic working group on immunization supply chain service delivery including COVID-19 vaccination, and SIAs
- Provide quality technical support on timely planning, forecasting, procurement process vaccine and other supplies receiving, customs clearing, and proper storage
- Conduct follow-up and progress of offshore and domestic procurement and take action to ensure timely customs clearance of supplies entering the country.
- support timely distribution and delivery of immunization supplies for routine, SIA, and emergency response through the most cost-effective and efficient means of transport
- Maintain strong working relations with EPSA hubs, regional health bureaus, and other relevant partners
- Support capacity of immunization supply and logistic focal persons at national and sub-national on the immunization supply chain
- provide training for national and sub-national cold chain and logistic officers on cold chain, cold room, vaccine, and logistics management
- Work closely with EPI case team, EPSA, and immunization supply, and logistics working group to review preparedness and adequacy during new vaccine introduction, SIA, and emergency response, including COVID-19 vaccination
- Develop risk management/backup strategy to ensure continuity of supply in emergency scenarios (e.g., missed supplies and distributions, etc.).
- Co-coordinating comprehensive logistical or reverse logistical functions for products such as damaged supplies, including acquisition, distribution, internal allocation, delivery, and final disposal.
- Conduct and ensure monitoring of immunization supply chain activities are properly distributed to service providers and end-users
- Fill and maintain appropriate vaccine arrival reporting for warehousing, inventory management, and in-country transport, supporting the country program implementation. Keep stakeholders/partners informed on the progress.
- Ensure immunization supplies including vaccines, dry supplies, tally sheets, formats, guidelines, IEC materials are timely and adequately distributed to hubs and woredas
- Establish and monitor immunization supplies tracking and reporting system for routine and SIA
- Follow up damaged immunization supplies and proper waste disposals
- Maintain proper and timely recording, documentation, reporting for cold chain, vaccine, and dry supply receipt and distribution
- Perform any related work as assigned by supervisors as required
Expected Deliverables and Timelines
|Update the stock status for EPI and COVID-19 vaccines in the country and the status of implementation of the Cold Chain Equipment Optimization Platform (CCEOP)and share the report
|Prepare an update on the COVID-19 Vaccination status in the country
|Provide regular activity reports on the tasks performed
|EPI Vaccine requirements are forecasted and shared
The consultant will report to Immunization Specialist at the health section at UNICEF Country Office and work on day-to-day bases under the supervision of EPI case team lead at FMOH
Payment Modality and Schedule
The payment will be linked to the monthly report and deliverables mentioned above.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- A degree in Pharmacy, Public health, Supply and logistics chain management or related fields from a recognized University/institution.
- A minimum of 5 [Five] years of relevant professional experience in the supply chain, storage, logistics, and inventory control of supplies, preferably in the health sector.
- Excellent knowledge and skills in logistics and supply planning, forecasting and procurement planning, custom clearing
- Good knowledge of the health sector and related supply chain and commodities
- Excellent analytical, presentation, and communication skills
- Skills for working with teams, governments, and partners and in a diverse environment
- Ability and willingness to travel frequently out of the duty station
- Developing country work experience and/or familiarity with emergencies is considered an asset.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish) or a local language is an asset.
UNICEF competencies required for this post are…
- Demonstrates Self Awareness and Ethical Awareness (1)
- Works Collaboratively with others (1)
- Builds and Maintains Partnerships (1)
- Innovates and Embraces Change (1)
- Thinks and Acts Strategically (1)
- Drive to achieve impactful results (1)
- Manages ambiguity and complexity (1)
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization. For this position, eligible and suitable female candidates are encouraged to apply.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
Please note that applications submitted without a fee rate will not be considered.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Individuals engaged under a consultancy or individual contract will not be considered “staff members” under the Staff Regulations and Rules of the United Nations and UNICEF’s policies and procedures, and will not be entitled to benefits provided therein (such as leave entitlements and medical insurance coverage). Their conditions of service will be governed by their contract and the General Conditions of Contracts for the Services of Consultants and Individual Contractors. Consultants and individual contractors are responsible for determining their tax liabilities and for the payment of any taxes and/or duties, in accordance with local or other applicable laws.
How to Apply
To Apply for this vacancy Click on the ‘Apply Now’ button below. Please make sure that you have read the requirements section very well before you apply.
For more vacancy alerts like UNICEF vacancy announcement, join us on Telegram