UNICEF vacancy announcements, March 2, 2023
Employment: Temporary Appointment, 3 months to 364 days
Location: Ethiopia, Angola, Botswana, Burundi, Comoros, Eritrea, Kenya, Lesotho, Madagascar, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Rwanda, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Eswatini (formerly Swaziland), United Republic of Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Mauritius, Seychelles
Experience Level: Senior Level (8 years)
Number of Positions:
Date of Announcement: February 28, 2023
Deadline: March 14, 2023
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, hope
Since two years, countries in the ESA region have experienced an alarming increase in the number of new, or re-emerging humanitarian emergencies, including public health (including Ebola, Crimean Congo hemorrhagic fever, yellow fever, wild poliovirus, and Cholera), armed conflicts and natural disasters emergencies.
UNICEF ESAR has prioritized the critical need to support countries to rapidly scale up capacity to prevent, mitigate, and manage ongoing and anticipated emergencies as well as to enhance capacity for preparedness and response to these emergencies.
The purpose of this external announcement is to attract suitable Cholera Specialist candidates interested in working in any of the countries within UNICEF’s East and Southern Africa region to respond to emergencies for the next 36 months. The countries within each region are listed on the following website: http://www.unicef.org/infobycountry/index.html.
- Provide technical support to UNICEF and partners including contributing to the adaptation/development of or sharing relevant standards, protocols, guidelines and training materials for Health in emergencies.
- Support UNICEF Country offices in the development/update on health emergency response plans and other relevant documents as needed
- Be deployed on a short notice in the framework of UNICEF staff surge mechanism to support outbreak response or other health emergencies
- Conduct joint field visits and evaluations with relevant health partners.
- Contribute to UNICEF’s Health Emergencies response strategy, work planning, contingency planning processes with other sectors to ensure cross sectoral response programming and resilience building.
- Oversee project supply chain in coordination with UNICEF operations staff to ensure that essential medicines and other medical commodities, equipment and supplies are provided to government and NGO partners as needed.
- Monitor the coverage of key health interventions among the beneficiary population and share information for internal communication and external coordination, including with the relevant coordination mechanisms.
- Contribute to the office M&E mechanism, including developing appropriate indicators and monitoring results.
- Support the development of UNICEF information products related to the response including situation reports, dashboards, advocacy notes and other products.
- Support the development of funding appeals, donor reports and project proposals related to ongoing or emerging responses.
- Periodic (to be adjusted as needed) analytical technical report covering:
- Key indicators, gaps and recommendations for improvement;
- matrix of standard monitoring tools, with actions taken and results, include epidemiological data.
- Inputs for other UNICEF internal or external facing updates – CO, RO – weekly or as needed.
- Monitoring tools, Job Aids and training packages – to be developed or updated in line with annual capacity building plan or in line with emerging needs
- Contributions to operational research and publications as requested
- Work plan, with biannual report of contributions and achievements
- The staff will be part of the health emergencies team and will collaborate with them on a daily basis and will report to the Regional Health Advisor.
- If assigned to a country, the staff will report to the Emergency Coordinator, the Chief of Health or chief of field office (as the case may be).
- The staff, if assigned at CO level, will coordinate the notification of health emergencies alerts to the RO using in accordance with relevant SOPs.
- Advanced university degree in Public Health, Community Health or related fields (preferably with specialized training on public health in complex emergencies, in epidemiology and/or disease control).
- Eight years of professional work experience in public health, with field experience in responding to health emergencies. This includes: coordination & partnerships, risk assessments, planning, programming, implementation monitoring and evaluation of public health emergency programs relevant to communicable disease control.
- Areas of expertise including: viral hemorrhagic diseases; vaccine preventable diseases; data management and analysis; epidemiology & surveillance; clinician/case management; water borne diseases, vector borne diseases International Health Regulations including JEEs/country core capacity assessments.
- Background/familiarity in emergency preparedness and response.
- Developing country work experience or field work experience in Africa an asset. Working experience with UNICEF, WHO or international health NGOs in emergency health an asset.
- Fluency in verbal and written English and/or French (depending on the country office’s official language). Knowledge of another UN language or a local language is an asset
Expected skills for the job
- Communicates effectively to varied audiences.
- Results driven; able to work effectively in a multi-cultural environment and with minimum supervision.
- Quickly builds rapport with individuals and groups; maintains an effective network of individuals across organizational departments and with other partners.
- Ability to work under tight schedule and respond to multiple demands.
- Translates strategic direction into plans and objectives.
- Excellent writing skills and demonstrable experience in qualitative and quantitative epidemiological information analysis, program monitoring and reporting.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s Core Values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust and Accountability and Sustainability (CRITAS) underpin everything we do and how we do it. Get acquainted with Our Values Charter: https://uni.cf/UNICEFValues
UNICEF competencies required for this post are…
- Nurtures, Leads and Manages People (2)
- Demonstrates Self Awareness and Ethical Awareness (2)
- Works Collaboratively with others (2)
- Builds and Maintains Partnerships (2)
- Innovates and Embraces Change (2)
- Thinks and Acts Strategically (2)
- Drive to achieve impactful results (2)
- Manages ambiguity and complexity (2)
During the recruitment process, we test candidates following the competency framework. Familiarize yourself with our competency framework and its different levels: competency framework here.
How to Apply
Click HERE to view on source and apply
For more vacancy alerts like this UNICEF Vacancy Announcement, Join us on Telegram