Environmental Health Officer – Goal Ethiopia Vacancy Announcement, April 7 2023
Organization: Goal Ethiopia
Position: Environmental Health Officer
Location: Amhara (Debrebirhan)
Deadline: April 17, 2023
|Job title:||Environmental Health Officer|
|Number of vacancies per Area Offices||Amhara (Debrebirhan)|
|Reports to:||Project Manager|
|Number of Posts||1 (One)|
|Closing date:||April 17, 2023|
GOAL’s mission is to work with the most vulnerable communities to help them respond to and recover from humanitarian crises, and to assist them to build transcendent solutions to mitigate poverty and vulnerability.
GOAL is a non-for profit organization that has been working in Ethiopia for over 30 years across all the region of the country towards ensuring the poorest and most vulnerable in our world and those affected by humanitarian crises have access to the fundamental rights of life, including but not limited to adequate shelter, food and livelihoods, water and sanitation, nutrition, healthcare and education. GOAL implements a range of multi-sectoral development, resilience, recovery and humanitarian responses Programmes by being sensitive to cross-cutting issues including gender, accountably, child protection, HIV/AIDS.
We envision a world where poverty no longer exist, where vulnerable communities are resilient, where barriers to wellbeing are removed and where everyone has equal rights and opportunities. GOAL Ethiopia’s main donors are Irish Aid, USAID/OFDA, EHF, ECHO and other private donors.
About the Position:
Under the direct supervision of the Senior Health & Nutrition Officer, the Environmental Health Officer will be responsible for the overall implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of the sanitation and hygiene promotion component of the MHNT sites in the camp/IDPs/any targeted location. The position holder provides technical support and expertise in the areas of environmental health and ensures the component is implemented in accordance with established protocols, guidelines, and best practices from MOH and other international standards. S/he focuses on maintaining to ensure adequate environmental health conditions are met in the MHNT sites in the camp/IDPs area.
Key Areas of Accountability/Duties
· In collaboration with other team members, the Environmental Health Officer undertakes detailed need assessments and identifies issues with water supply systems, sanitation and hygiene aspects in the response areas.
· Responsible for the management of the public health component of the WaSH perspectives in the designated MHNT sites including proper planning and organizing of tasks, providing technical guidance, and management of project scope and deliverables.
· Prepares detailed Environmental Health physical & financial implementation plan for emerging emergency responses.
· Identify and establish water trucking and water treatment sites and monitor water trucking operations and water treatment systems.
· Works closely with, Zone/Woreda Water and Health Offices towards efficient and effective implementation of the response.
· Works in the promotion of safe hygiene practices in emergency responses which includes Health Promotion activities.
· Produces activity progress reports as per the preset reporting schedule and submit to the senior health and nutrition officer.
· Coordinate with the WASH sector team of GOAL, the relevant government partners, counter partners, and communities to identify WASH needs of the IDP communities.
· Conduct Infection Prevention and Control (IPC) assessments in health facilities and in the IDP/collective sites to ensure targeted support and effective, quality programming.
· Ensure timely and quality implementation of sanitation and hygiene components.
· Along with the WASH sector team of GOAL, organize and coordinate sanitation and hygiene campaigns and promotion activities as well as the water treatment chemical distribution and tailored community education supported by woreda and community-level and government structures. This includes Health technicians at the woreda level and Community Health Workers (CHW) and Health Development Army (HDA) at the community level and IDP levels.
· Make regular follow-up and monitoring of sanitation and hygiene practices, as well as emergency public health risks for a timely response.
· Adopt and ensure implementation of basic guidelines and standards for public health in emergencies.
· Collect, analyze, and report on community/IDP-level hygiene and sanitation issues arising from the target groups for planning, implementing, monitoring and evaluation purposes.
· Ensure adequate and timely documentation of all Sanitation and Hygiene related activities.
· Work with government partners and structures on facilitating basic community health education through home-to-home visits, community meetings, schools (Schools based Environmental Sanitation and Hygiene clubs), health centers, FBOs, social occasions, etc.
· Closely cooperate with partners such as WHO, GOAL WASH staff, and other relevant government offices (e.g. health and education bureaus) in the target woredas
· Attend relevant meetings and prepare meeting notes as required and share these with the senior health and nutrition officer.
· Any other task assigned by his/her supervisor (senior health and nutrition officer).
REMUNERATION and BENEFITS:
· GOAL will pay a competitive basic salary based on the salary grading with addition benefits.
· A chance to develop tangible experience.
· Being part of a team who continue to make a real difference to the lives of the most vulnerable people.
GOAL’s recruitment procedure is fair and transparent which is also in line with the organization’s commitment to its integrity, honesty and culture. GOAL is committed to ensure that, its performance complies with the terms and conditions of relevant agreements, applicable laws & regulations. Hence, pre-employment background checks will be conducted, and employees are required to read, understand, sign and implement different polices including safeguarding and child protection policy, Protection from Sexual Exploitation and abuse policy, sexual harassment policy, code of conducts and any other policy, rules and regulation of the organization. GOAL is committed to safeguarding and protection from sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment (PSEAH). Staffs, partners and other who are in contact with GOAL work are expected to adhere to GO’L’s PSEAH Policy and make ethical decisions to ensure the protection of people particularly children and vulnerable adults from sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment.
Do you want to join an exciting organization that brings high level impact to the community and add value to your professional advancement? Then join us if you have:
· MSc or BSc in Public Health/Environmental health.
· Professional experience in Emergency Sanitation and health projects implementation (3 – 5 years) including design and implementation of sanitation and hygiene activities.
· Good understanding of standards and requirements in emergency situations.
· Proactive and takes initiative without the need for prompting by others.
· Excellent skill in facilitating training on emergency WASH and Hygiene & Sanitation related issues.
· Experience in undertaking KAP surveys and identifying barriers to hygiene behavior,
Desirable quality, skill and competence
· Familiarity with the local culture.
· Passionate, strongly dedicated, and highly committed to working for the improvement of the poor community.
· Experience in undertaking KAP surveys and identifying barriers to hygiene behavior in sanitation and Hygiene
How to Apply
Interested and qualified applicants need to submit ONLY once their non – returnable application with CV for one vacancy. The vacancy reference number along with the title & Duty station need to be written in the application letter
Applicants can directly apply via www.ethiojobs.net
GOAL strongly encourages female candidates to apply!
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview and exam.
Shortlisted candidates will need to submit other supporting documents upon request at later stage.
GOAL is not able to contribute towards any costs incurred by candidates during the recruitment process.
For more vacancy alerts like this Goal Ethiopia Vacancy Announcement, join us on Telegram