WASH Assistant – NRC (Norwegian Refugee Council) Vacancy Announcement, May 18 2023
Organization: NRC (Norwegian Refugee Council)
Position: WASH Assistant
Employment: Full time
Location: Metekel, Amhara
Deadline: May 31, 2023
Role and responsibilities
The purpose of the WASH Technical Assistant position is to provide technical support in specialist areas of work.
- Adhere to NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines
- Assist a range of support with the implementation of the CC portfolio according to plan of action
- Implements independently procedures and activities within own function or core competency as delegated
- Responsible for organizing and delivery of tasks in line with priorities and standards
- Develop and maintain knowledge of the specialist area of work in which technical assistance and support is being provided, in order to be most effective in supporting the team
- Use initiative in day to day problem solving in line with agreed procedures, priorities and standards for the area of work
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management
- Ensure proper filing of documents
- Promote and share ideas for improvement in your area of expertise
- Mobilize beneficiary communities implementing HP through participatory approaches;
- Facilitate appropriate community involvement in the design and delivery of essential WASH services and facilities;
- Conduct field-based needs assessments;
- Conduct hygiene promotion activities in IDP/returnee settlements and schools under the guidance of the WASH Officer, and coordinate and supervise community Hygiene Promoters;
- Supervise appropriate use and maintenance of WASH facilities and services;
- Carry out training sessions (according to identified needs) for community members;
- Identify needs for non-food items relevant to hygiene; participate in the choice of items, targeting strategy, promotion of effective use, and post-distribution monitoring;
- Raise the awareness on issues relevant to the community and encourage their participation in projects;
- Ensure mainstreaming of all cross-cutting issues in implementation of activities;
- Train the IDP/returnee community on settlement care (with focus on public health related aspects), maintenance and protection issues;
- Deliver reports on time, including compiling and sharing of reports from community hygiene promoters;
These are skills, knowledge and experience that are important for effective performance.
Generic professional competencies:
- Degree/Diploma in Public Health, Community Health, Public health nursing, community development or social studies.
- Minimum of two years’ work experience working as a WASH Assistant in a humanitarian/recovery context, preferably in NGO.
- Experience in implementation of hygiene promotion (public health) components of WASH activities.
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Fluency in Amharic and English, both written and verbal. Knowledge of local language is highly advantageous.
Context/ Specific skills, knowledge and experience:
- Good knowledge of the area and context in Benishangul Gumuz Region
- Experience in undertaking training of staff or target groups
- Experience in Hygiene promotion or community mobilization
- Ability to use MS Office software is desirable
- Good communication skills
- Good cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Handling insecure environment
- Planning and delivering results
- Empowering and building trust
- Communicating with impact and respect
How to Apply
Interested candidates who meet the above criteria are invited to send in their application letters including updated curriculum vitae with day-time telephone number and contact details of three work-related referees with attach photocopies of the most relevant educational certificates/testimonials. Applications should reach NRC latest by 31 May 2023 at 5:00 pm.
Use this Application Link.
NB: only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted.
“Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply and on-the-job training will be provided!”
For more vacancy alerts like this NRC (Norwegian Refugee Council) Vacancy Announcement, join us on Telegram