Woreda Facilitator – EngenderHealth Vacancy Announcement, May 15 2023
Position: Woreda Facilitator
Location: Mega, Oromia
Salary: $4,968.00 USD
Deadline: May 22, 2023
Internal/External Vacancy Announcement
Job Title: Woreda Facilitator
Reports To: Filed Project Coordinator
Duty Station: Mega town
EngenderHealth envisions a gender-equal world where all people achieve their sexual and reproductive health and rights. We believe this is essential for ensuring all people can achieve their full potential. To achieve this vision, we implement high-quality, gender-equitable programs that advance sexual and reproductive health and rights.
EngenderHealth-Ethiopia is implementing the REACH (Reach, Expand, and Access Community Health) project which is an integrated Sexual and Reproductive and Health Rights (SRHR)/Menstrual Hygiene Management (MHM) and Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WaSH) intervention in Borana and Borana zones of Oromia Region. The REACH project will be implemented by a consortium of EngenderHealth, Amref Health Africa, and DKT. EngenderHealth would like to employ well-qualified and dedicated candidates as Woreda Facilitator for the Borana field office at the duty station of Mega town for its project which aims to fulfill the SRHR/MHM, WaSH, and Nutritional needs of women and young people in various woredas of Borana zone. This will be a local hire position and qualified women candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note the selected candidate will be responsible for Dirree, Miyo and Guchi woredas at the duty station of Mega.
The Woredas Facilitator under the direct supervision of the Field Project Coordinator and technical oversight of the Demand Creation/Clinical Officer will be responsible for providing technical assistance in the day-to-day implementation of the REACH project particularly in improving community-level awareness creation and strengthening the community to health facilities linkage on SRHR interventions (focusing on Comprehensive Contraceptive, ANC, Institutional Delivery, Comprehensive Abortion Care, Nutrition and other reproductive health services) and WaSH interventions (focusing on Sanitation Marketing, Menstrual Hygiene Management, and WaSH Demand Creation) under REACH Project in Borana zone of Oromia regional state. The Woreda Facilitator will be primarily responsible for ensuring the achievement of specific project deliverables; confirmed referral from community level actors in their assigned geographic areas that are documented at health facilities for SRHR/MHM and WaSH services, improved SRHR services at private health facilities, and improved demand creation and linkage for both in school and out of school communities on life skills education, entrepreneurship, and linkage with microfinance. The Woreda Facilitator is also expected to carry out routine Woreda and community level specific activities including planning and implementing of field level activities, coordinating and monitoring/supervising the timely implementation of program/project activities under their custody. They will be responsible for organizing and facilitating community engagement and counseling training, coordinating, and conducting regular site visits primarily for health posts and schools, and providing technical assistance including coaching of HEWs and schools’ guidance as deemed. Each Woreda Facilitator will be responsible for 2-3 nearby Woredas for project implementation activities.
- Participate in the overall implementation of the project consolidated annual work plan and assist in coordinating and conducting baseline assessments, woreda-specific project planning, reviews, monitoring, and evaluations.
- Assist community-level demand creation agents and service delivery sites, in meeting quality standards in addressing school and out-of-school adolescents and youth by identifying gaps and providing and coordinating community engagement and counseling training, follow-up visits/mentoring of health posts, providing clear performance feedback for Health Extension Workers (HEWs) and Interns, and technical support for adolescent and youth-focused SRH/MHM, WaSH, and sensitive nutrition.
- Cooperate with and Support woreda level Interns, and school and community level actors in demand creation activities and community to facility linkage for SRHR/MHM/ WaSH and nutrition services and strengthen their relationship with service delivery sites.
- Assist community-level actors in ensuring informed choice and voluntary decision-making process by providing/coordinating training and technical assistance on counseling and interpersonal communication, community engagement, and through the delivery of tailored Information and Education Communication (IEC)/ Behavioral Change Communication (BCC) materials.
- Develop cluster woredas specific plan for REACH project, liaise and support Woreda Health Offices (WoHOs) to make sure that planned activities are included and harmonized with the woreda plan. Monitor cluster woredas-specific performances against the targets and Key Performance Indicators (KPIs).
- Address sociocultural barriers by way of engaging religious and traditional leaders and other strategies to ensure Family Planning (FP), Ante Natal Care (ANC), Institutional Delivery, and comprehensive Abortion Care (CAC) uptake including engagement of pastoralist communities.
- Closely work with different adolescent and youth structure supporting sectors such as women’s affairs, youth and sport, microfinance institutions, and others concerned with facilitating Income Generating Activities (IGA) for the Adolescent Youth (AY) groups.
- Collaborate with project officers, the field project office, and the country office technical and program team to initiate and ensure the successful implementation of new initiatives.
- Assist both supported public and private health facilities and the Woreda health offices and community level partners and actors and ensure the establishment of strong confirmed community to facility referral linkage accompanied by SRH/MHM and nutrition services and supported with feedback as per the project plan.
- Facilitate effective partnership with stakeholders in the woreda, and engage with the Woreda level RH technical working groups and platforms to enhance collaboration.
- Provide technical assistance including support to sites and partners in training Women Development Army Leader (WDAL)/Village Health Leader (VHL), schoolteachers and clubs, Health Extension Workers, and their supervisors on relevant SRH/MHM, WaSH, and nutrition issues.
- Ensure the proper implementation of project activities and monitor progress regularly with periodic supervision and review meetings in coordination with project implementing partners.
- Monitor the quality of community dialogue sessions, house-to-house visits, and school guidance counseling to ensure high standards of counseling to link clients with service-providing health facilities.
- Provide both technical and logistic support in outreach services, particularly for pastoralist areas.
- Ensure availability of necessary tools for recording, reporting, and job aids to facilitate community-level activities such as community dialogue, home visits, and counseling services, and their appropriate use.
- In collaboration with other technical staff and counterparts, identify lessons learned, support documentation of those lessons on areas of community level demand creation, referral linkage, and other innovative interventions, and participate in the documentation of the best practices.
- Ensure program deliverables are appropriately entered into the project database (DHIS2), compile reports from interns, produce periodic activity/event-based reports and submit weekly, monthly, quarterly, bi-annual, and annual reports of the custody cluster Woredas and share with the field project M&E Officer or respective Demand Creation/Clinical Officers.
- Carry out other EngenderHealth assignments as may be required and as directed by the field project Coordinator and guidance by the REACH Project Technical team.
- Travel to communities up to 80% of the time and support the other woredas as needed.
- Diploma/Degree in Public Health, Health Education and Promotion, Sociology, and related health disciplines.
- Minimum of five (5) years’ experience for a Diploma and 3 years for a degree in demand creation activities for SRHR/MHM, WaSH services, and program coordination preferably in an NGO.
- Experience with and understanding of the new low-level Ministry of Health service delivery system.
- Demonstrated experience in effectively providing technical assistance in demand creation (Community Engagement) training to counterparts in SRH/MHM, WaSH, and other nutrition services at all levels of the system.
ESSENTIAL SOFT SKILLS
- Committed to EngenderHealth’s core organizational values of reflection, inclusion, integrity, respect, and transformation.
- Demonstrated knowledge and skill in community engagement approaches, capacity building, and mentorship of the low-level health structure.
- Knowledge and skill in relevant community level quality improvement /quality assurance approach/tool in FP, ANC, Institutional Delivery, CAC, WaSH, nutrition, and other SRH is recommended.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and demands, establish priorities and work effectively in a deadline-driven environment.
- Outstanding ability to interact with service providers, different level experts, community-level actors, and collaborators across multiple disciplines, program areas, and cultures with exceptional ability to mentor and support teams.
- Good in written and oral English with the ability to articulate and presents ideas, opinions, and information in a clear, concise, structured, and convincing manner for the intended audience, and knowledge of the local language is a must.
- Exceptional interpersonal communication, teamwork, partnering, and consensus-building skills.
- Experience with Smart Start and Willow Box approaches in demand creation is a plus.
PREFERRED SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND FUNCTIONS
- Good report writing skills.
- Good knowledge and skill of community engagement approaches, catchment-based clinical mentorship, and supportive supervision.
- Having a motorbike driving License and experience in using it is preferable.
- Computer literate, with knowledge of Windows applications, including Excel spreadsheets.
How to Apply
Interested and well qualified candidates are required to send your CV with an application letter stating for which woreda you are applying through the following link. https://www.engenderhealth.org/about/work-with-us/careers
Please note that there is no need to attach your credentials at this stage.
Female candidates from the local area are highly encouraged to apply.
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the person(s) assigned to this job. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities as needed and assigned.
EngenderHealth provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment, without regard to race, creed, ancestry, citizenship, religion, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, national origin, political belief, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as a victim of domestic violence, marital status, disability or any other protected characteristic or status under applicable federal, state, and local laws.
EngenderHealth complies with applicable federal, state, and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in Ethiopia in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
EngenderHealth is committed to safeguarding all people, particularly children, vulnerable adults, and beneficiaries of assistance from any harm that may be caused due to contact with EngenderHealth. This includes harm arising from the conduct of staff, associates, and partners, and the design and implementation of programs and activities.
For more vacancy alerts like this EngenderHealth Vacancy Announcement, join us in Telegram