National Level COVID-19 & another emergency response advisor/ Technical Assistance
Job by UNICEF; Recruiter: ABH Partners PLC
- Job Title: National Level COVID-19 & another emergency response advisor/ Technical Assistance
- Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- Experience Level: Senior Level (5+ years experience)
- Number of Position: 01
- Employment Type: Contract
- Salary: The fees for this contract shall be paid on monthly basis based on the submission of reports/documents against the deliverables indicated above.
- Deadline Date: February 28, 2023
- Duration: 2 months (1 March 2023 to 28 February 2024)
- No. of consultant: Eight (#8)
- Start Date: March 2023
Reporting to the Respective section or task force of the EOC team at EPHI in collaboration with the UNICEF ECO COVAX coordinator at Health Section
On the 30th of January 2020, WHO declared the COVID-19 outbreak as a public health emergency of international concern (PHEIC), WHO’s highest level of urgency. On 11th March, WHO made the assessment that COVID-19 could be characterized as a Global pandemic. The total confirmed cases of COVID-19 have reached 532 million cases, and 6.3 million deaths were reported up to 13 June 2022 (Source WHO) The first COVID-19 case in Ethiopia was reported on 13th March 2020, subsequently, the government declared a Frye- month state of emergency in April 2020, there have been a total of 479,484 cases from laboratory tested as of June 13th, 2022.
Ethiopia has taken significant steps in the preparations for the COVID-19 vaccine introduction, including the formation of a planning/coordination structure, Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) is a global epidemic with serious Health, social, economic, and political impacts. Ethiopia is facing an increasing burden on health systems from COVID-19. Beyond the direct effects of the virus, COVID-19 threatens the supply and demand for other essential health services. Already facing a high and growing burden of non-communicable diseases; a diverse range of vulnerable and at-risk populations due to poverty and inequality; as well as weaknesses in health systems. As regional decision-makers strive to balance opening the economy and containing the virus, strong health systems will remain the bedrock of a robust response to the pandemic. However, still, much more effort must be done before the epidemic goes out of control and nullify all the previous efforts in essential health ser V ice gains. The whole of government, society and business must work in synergy for successful control of the epidemic, and fast recovery of its effect. Such, COVID-19 Vaccine deployment and multi-sectorial response requires the establishment of various coordination and governance platforms at all administrative levels of the country and ensure the response interventions including deployment of COVID-19 vaccines is integrated to the health system at different levels of the health service delivery
To provide emergency response technical assistance on the regional COVID-19 response with joint responsibility with the MOH staff on the efficient management and functioning of the emergency response management which encompasses technical Support for the management of overall monitoring and evaluation of the COVID-19 pandemic response.
The position holder will be responsible for all operational aspects of the emergency preparedness and response intervention and ensuring the quality and effectiveness of the country’s emergency response through health system strengthening mainly related to three core areas: Emergency financing, emergency service delivery, and health workforce.
- Work closely with the task force to achieve key deliverables as specified in the EPRP plan.
- Assist the process owner in technical activities to ensure that the work is technical activities to ensure that the directorate plan is technically sound and collaborative and is conducted in line with the Minister of Health initiatives.
- Review the national public health emergency management, emergency service, critical care and the overaII health system and continuously update the existing modalities.
- Support the respective directive in taking a lead role in the process of developing and reviewing program strategies, thematic pIans, and annual plans.
- Contribute to partner mapping, resource mobilization by providing innovative platforms to engage with relevant stakeholders such as RHB, NGOs, donor agencies, and other key stakeholders.
- Represent the respective section in key emergency forums, working groups, and donor meetings.
- Collaborate with other directorates and institutions to ensure the directorate plan and priorities are aligned to create a resilient emergency preparedness and response.
- Work closely with the team in the directorate to ensure work plans and priorities are designed based on sound assessments to address the identified needs and take into consideration best practices and lessons learned.
- Ensures appropriate monitoring and reporting mechanisms.
- Monitor the performance of the core response functions.
- Monitors analyzes, and reports on regular statutes developments in the region
- Drafts and prepares regular situation papers/reports highlighting relevant operational factors affecting the emergency and response efforts.
- Prepares or contributes to the preparation of various written reports, documents, and communications, such us drafts on sections of studies, background papers, policy guidelines, parliamentary documents, briefings, case studies, presentations, correspondence,
- Reviews and provides advice on policy issues related to safeguarding disaster and ensuring the effective delivery of countermeasure assistance.
- Support Emergency management and help ensure that the latest findings, lessons learned, and guidelines are incorporated into these activities, including gender-related considerations.
Expected background and Experience
The consultant must meet the following criteria
Education (Qualifications): Essential: Medical/Public Health or related Bachelor level degree in health science but advanced level degree desirable
Experience: Essential: Over 7 years of experience in public health programs, preferably in an emergency, health service delivery for BSC or equivariant. Prior experience of implementing or supporting routine essential services programs at least regional to country level. Previous experience in quantitative and qualitative assessments and data analysis is essential.
Language skills: Amharic, and English, one of the regional languages would be an asset.
Other Skills: Computer literacy; Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office applications, and statistical software
Suitable candidate: Excellent facilitation, organizational and analytical skills. Excellent interpersonal skills. Ability to write in a clear and concise manner and to present information in Word and PowerPoint formats. Ability to manage and analyze basic data in Excel and produce charts/graphs. Basic familiarity with WHO, UNICEF, and bilateral agency work in support of vaccination programs and implementation and their practices and procedures. Strong interpersonal skills and work effectively with people at all levels.
Desirable: Previous experience working with MOH, UNICEF or UN agencies. Familiarity or experience with demand promotion for immunization will be an asset.
The consultant will not work from the UNICEF office, but rather work from MOH/RHB.
The consultant should use his/her own materials, i.e., computer, mobile phone, internet, printer, etc.
The consultant will be paid monthly upon completion of deliverables as indicated on this TOR and approved by the supervisor on monthly basis through ABH Partners Plc.
Policy both parties should be aware of:
- ABH Partners PLc will manage all the administrative issues and aspects based on the HR’ policies and procedures.
- All remuneration must be within the contract agreement through ABH Partners Plc.
- No contract may commence unless the contract is signed by both ABH Partners Plc and the consultant.
- Travel will be facilitated after the travel request is approved by the consultant’s supervisor and managed by the third-party HR firm.
- Consultants will not have supervisory responsibilities or authority on the UNICEF budget.
How to Apply
Applicants can apply through the following link by selecting only one office. More than one application would be disqualified.
- For emergency WASH and IPC: https://ethiotalent.com/job-detail/32
- For MHPSS in PHEM: https://ethiotalent.com/job-detail/33
- For emergency logistics forecasting, planning and supply chain management: https://ethiotalent.com/job-detail/34
- For coordination, liaison ship and partnership: https ://ethiotalent.com/job-detail/35
- For public health emergency preparedness and response in disaster and humanitarian crisis situations. https://ethiotalent.com/job-detail/36
- For Case management. https://ethiotalent.com/job-detail/37
- For Non-communicable diseases and health events/conditions surveillanc:https://ethiotalent.com/job-detail/38
- For PHEM system digitalization and resolution senior technical advisor: https://ethiotalent.com/job-detail/39