RH/FP Project Officer – Ethiopian Public Health Association Vacancy Announcement, June 7 2023
Organization: Ethiopian Public Health Association
Position: RH/FP Project Officer
Employment: Full time
Location: Dessie site/Woldiya site, with frequent travel to field project zones and woredas in Amhara Region
Deadline: Jun 16, 2023
About Ethiopian Public Health Association (EPHA)
The Ethiopian Public Health Association (EPHA) has been working for more than 33 years, registering remarkable results for the overall health sector development.
EPHA has been implementing the David and Lucile Packard Foundation-funded Reproductive Health/Family Planning grants to expand access to quality and comprehensive family planning services. The project work focuses on health care works capacity building, quality improvement, community engagement, strengthening referral linkage, supporting the conflict/crisis-affected primary healthcare system, and evidence generation. This project will be implemented in two conflict-affected zones in the Amhara region and in the existing project zones of the Oromia region. Thus, EPHA is looking for a qualified project assistant who will accomplish the following responsibilities.
Key Areas of Accountability/Duties
- The officer will be responsible to plan field project activities, closely monitor their implementation and progress, compile all accomplishments, and producing technical reports. He/she is responsible to accomplish the following specific duties
- Prepare an action plan including budgeting for the project activities
- Implement the project activities as per the plan to ensure timely accomplishment and delivery
- Closely monitor the progress of the project implementation
- Manage both the logistic and technical preparatory activities in advance of the fieldwork such as securing the necessary human resource, finance, materials, supplies, and others Provide technical support to RH/FP service providers working in project health facilities
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with relevant partners including healthcare leaders and managers working at various levels, healthcare workers, community groups and other implementing partners.
- Ensure that the quality of the project activities is as per the standards and take measures and/or recommend directions to improve the quality of RH/FP services in project health facilities
- Facilitate regular supervision activities and post-training follow-up together with focal persons from the primary health care units and share findings and recommendations with the supervisor.
- Producing timely progress reports, including both quantitative and qualitative information
- Document lessons learned and best practices that can inform strategies and policies in the area
- Facilitate the RH/FP service promotion and demand creation activities using the existing community-based structures and local media outlets
- Facilitate field financial management as per EPHA financial operational manuals including supporting project cashiers.
- Ensure that project resources are efficiently utilized
- Represent EPHA on regional or zonal level platforms and meetings
- Carries out additional tasks as required
Career Level: Mid-Level (4-6 years’ experience)
Location/Duty Station: Dessie site/Woldiya site, with frequent travel to field project zones and woredas in Amhara Region
Education qualification and relevant work experiences
- MPH or MSC preferably in Reproductive Health with a background in Midwifery, Nursing, or Health Officer and at least four years of relevant work experience, of which 2 years as project officer or coordinator preferably RH/FP program/projects, and 2 years in service delivery point/MCH/FP services mainly in providing Long-acting contraceptives.
- BSc in Midwifery, Nursing, or Health Officer or equivalent and at least six years of relevant work experience, of which 4 years in working on projects preferably RH/FP program/projects, and 2 years at service delivery point/MCH/FP services mainly in providing Long-acting contraceptives
- Experience in coordinating projects in humanitarian or conflict-affected settings
- Good experience coordinating or supervising public health surveys and using data analysis soft wares e.g., SPSS, Epi-Info …
- Experience of working with INGOs or local NGOs is desired
- Sound clinical experience of providing long-acting family planning methods mainly IUCD insertion at health facilities at least for one year – written evidence is required
- Comprehensive Family Planning with an emphasis on long-acting FP methods, priority will be given to those having ToT or master TOT.
- Other related training like infection prevention, FP client-centered counseling (specific), supportive supervision, catchment-based RMNCH service mentorship, M & E, and …
Desirable quality and skill
- Training facilitation skills mainly RMNCH/ Family planning/LARC topics
- Detail-oriented and highly organized, with a proactive approach
- Active listener, critical thinker, and problem-solver
- Situational awareness, innovative and system thinker
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of professionals
- Excellent training and event facilitation skills
- Ability to work outside the ‘business as usual approach’ during hardship situations
- Must have integrity and a pleasant personality
- Excellent presentation and report-writing skills
- Fluent both in English and Amharic and/or Oromiffa is an additional asset
- Passionate, strongly dedicated, and highly committed to working for the improvement of the vulnerable and poor community
Supervision and Reporting
- The field project officer is expected to submit deliverables and reports to the professional development and training department of EPHA and works under the direct supervision of the project manager.
Duration of Employment:
- 1 year with possible extension based on satisfactory performance
How to Apply
Interested and qualified applicants can submit their application letter, updated CV, academic credentials, and supporting documents for the work experiences and training to EPHA Head Office in person, close to Dreamliner Hotel on the way to Meskel Flower about 500 meters from Dembel Center City or using post address as indicated below
Ethiopian Public Health Association
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. Tel: +251-114-166083/+25211-4166041
P. o. Box 7117
The title of the vacant position is to be written in the application letter
EPHA strongly encouraged female candidates to apply
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview and exam.
EPHA is not able to contribute towards any costs incurred by candidates during the recruitment process
The deadline of application is Closing date: June 16/2023
For more vacancy alerts like this Ethiopian Public Health Association Vacancy Announcement, join us on Telegram