Research Director – KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation Vacancy Announcement, July 29 2023
Organization: KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation
Position: Research Director
Location: Addis Ababa
Employment: Full time
Deadline: August 9, 2023
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is an international non-profit organization dedicated to the fight against tuberculosis (TB), the first deadliest infectious disease in the world. KNCV is an international center of expertise for TB control that promotes effective, efficient, innovative and sustainable tuberculosis control strategies in a national and international context.
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is looking for a fulltime
The Eliminate Tuberculosis from Ethiopia (ETBE) is a five-year USAID-funded project awarded to Management Sciences for Health (MSH) and its core partner KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation. The goal of the project is to reduce TB incidence and mortality to achieve End TB strategy milestones and targets by increasing the quality, access, utilization, and sustainability of TB services in Ethiopia. The project will support the Government of Ethiopia to target case detection based on prevalence; introduce highly sensitive and specific diagnostic and screening tools; and boost prevention and treatment for latent TB infection. Accordingly, through ETBE the implementing partners will find and treat 484,540 new TB patients and 14,357 MDR-TB patients and achieve treatment success rates (TSRs) of at least 95% for drug-sensitive (DS)-TB and 85% for drug-resistant (DR)-TB and an LTBI treatment target of 450,000.
The End TB Strategy targets set for 2030 cannot be met without intensified research and development. Besides technological breakthroughs, innovations in programmatic implementation will significantly contribute meeting the End TB Strategy targets including the rapid decline in TB incidence rate. ETBE has a significant operational research component. As part of the project’s effort to strengthen TB research and innovation, ETBE will integrate research questions that will identify and test alternative algorithms for TB screening, TB preventive Therapy (TPT), DOT model and effectiveness, and optimized models of care for TB diagnostic networks. ETBE will also contribute to accelerating innovation and research agenda in Ethiopia including demonstrating a framework for elimination of TB in Ethiopia by 2050 under the routine program context. ETBE will engage with the national TB Research Advisory Council (TRAC) to accelerate research and innovation. Through MSH/KNCV involvement in the TRAC, ETBE will contribute to the design of the research agenda for the country—together with other key stakeholders.
Purpose of the position
KNCV is looking for a Research Director who will lead and provide oversight for the implementation of the research activities of the USAID ETBE project and provide substantial technical assistance on setting research agenda and strengthening the research capacity of the National TB Program (NTP) and the ETBE-supported Regional Health Bureaus and lead implementation of DeMONSTRATE study ( Demonstrating Multipronged and Optimized Novel Strategies to Reinforce Actions Targeted at Eliminating Tuberculosis).
Position in the organization
The Research Director will report functionally to the Monitoring and Evaluation and Research Director and hierarchically to the Technical Director / Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP). The Director will work closely with relevant technical teams at the central and the regional level.
Duties and responsibilities
Below are details of the major duties and responsibilities and the estimated level of efforts (LoE) for the major activities. The duties and responsibilities may not be limited to this outline and the LoE are indicative.
Lead Operational research and dissemination activities in USAID ETBE (30%)
- Develop operational research questions to locate points where TB care can be integrated to address the specific barriers in service access;
- Lead the development and implementation of an operational research (OR)/implementation science agenda and include in the work plan of the project;
- Support technical staff in developing concept notes on identified OR projects, developing instrument to capture data from DHIS2, data analysis and interpretation, and write up of manuscripts;
- Lead the writing and dissemination of research findings in the form of technical publications (highlights, technical briefs, policy briefs);
- Produce monthly (an/or quarterly reports) reports to determine progress on projects research activities, technical briefs, successes etc.;
- Support small research grants program to incentivize and build the capacity of young researchers in universities, NTLP, RHBs, and other research institutions to implement the priority studies.
Strengthen the capacity of NTP in TB implementation research (25%)
- Provide technical support to NTPL to implement and monitor the national TB research roadmap;
- Technically assist the TRAC in its functions of setting national TB research agenda, dissemination of research findings, translating research into action (e.g. development of policy briefs);
- Assist the NTLP to create a framework for the potential elimination of TB in Ethiopia earlier than 2050 by synthesizing and sharing findings from the Elimination study;
- Strengthen the capacity of the NTLP and regional, zonal woreda offices and other local partners in TB implementation research;
- Participate in national technical working groups including partners meetings to coordinate research-specific activity implementation;
- Mentor and graduate TB experts at NTP and RHBs that can take over the duties and responsibilities of the research director.
Lead TB DeMONSTRATE study (40%)
- Lead the implementation of DeMONSTRATE study on TB elimination. Major activities here will include revising protocol as needed, implement the study protocol and SOP in the study woredas, seeking IRB clearance and submit report as needed, procurement of required equipment, hiring and orienting research personnel, collaborate and create a supportive partnership with government health offices and community advisory team in the study regions and districts, , collection, developing/updating manuals of operation, coordinating study committees (Steering committee and DSMB), supervising data capturing and entry, co-leading data analysis and write up, and dissemination of the findings;
- Lead LTBI prevalence survey and knowledge, attitude and practice (KAP) study, costing study model for elimination in the TB elimination woredas.
Other duties and responsibilities (5%)
- Prepare quarter, semi-annual and annual performance reports and other reports;
- Contribute to other project activities as requested by the Monitoring and Evaluation and Research Director.
What does KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation offer?
- A fixed-term contract until September 30, 2024 with a possibility for extension;
- An informal work atmosphere in an international environment where a pro-active mentality is appreciated;
- A highly motivated team of experienced, self-driven colleagues;
- The salary is dependent upon education and relevant working experience;
- KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation has its own Employment Conditions Scheme;
- Full-time employment consists of 40 hours per week.
Who are we looking for?
- Minimum: Medical Doctor or BSc in health-related sciences – with a masters’ degree in public health, epidemiology or equivalent. PhD in health-related sciences is a plus.
- Demonstrated experience (at least 5 years) working as a research coordinator/director;
- Previous experience in an international NGO or strong record of productive partnership with such organizations;
- Substantial experience in developing research protocol;
- Substantial experience in leading large-scale community-based research preferably TB research;
- Substantial experience in research data synthesis with at least 10 TB related publications in peer-reviewed journals of which at least 3 as first author;
- Substantial experience in developing technical briefs, policy briefs, and success stories;
- Experience in good clinical trial experience is an advantage;
- Knowledge of TB from clinical and programmatic perspectives is an advantage;
- Experience within the Ethiopian health system and USAID are a plus.
Behavioral competencies and skills
- Good interpersonal skills with experience in networking with partners at all levels (government, NGOs and local community-based organizations);
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English;
- Country national preferable, conversant in the local language;
- Ability to work as part of a team and independently;
- Ability to cope with a demanding work environment and to organize and prioritize workload;
- Ability to work in a national and international team.
How to Apply
You can apply for this position by submitting your CV, including a motivation letter and 3 professional references, before August 9th , 2023 via www.kncvtbc.org/vacancies.
Please note that we only consider the applications that are received through the KNCV website. Applicants that are sent to recruit email account are not taken into consideration.
For more vacancy alerts like this KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation Vacancy Announcement, join us on Telegram