JOB TITLE: Program Policy Officer (Nutrition and School Feeding)
CONTRACT TYPE: Service Contract Level 8
DUTY STATION: Bahir Dar, Ethiopia
DURATION: 12 months
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
Background & Purpose Of The Assignment
This job is found in Bahirdar Area Office amhara region) and job holder reports to a more senior Programme Policy Officer/Head of Programme.
Job holder is likely to be working under the close support and guidance of a more experienced professional staff member receiving guidance and regular feedback on work performed. They are typically involved in programme or policy activities or similar nature and analytical work of limited complexity.
Key Accountabilities (Not All-Inclusive)
- Contribute towards the development of school feeding and Nutrition programs, plans, and processes, ensuring alignment with wider program policies, CSP and regional priorities.
- Plan and coordinate the transition to Home-Grown School Feeding (HGSF) including leading capacity assessment, preparing with regional Bureau of education, and schools’ capacity strengthening and technical assistance roadmap, supporting budgetary planning process, Field level agreement (FLA) formulation and supporting the set-up of coordination mechanism with Bureau of education, Bureau of health, Bureau of Finance, and relevant stakeholders.
- Support and Contribute to the development of school feeding program strategies, guidelines, standards, and tools to support regional capacity strengthening and ownership of the program at regional level, including coordinating with the Bureau of education and other partners for the development of regional level school Nutrition Guidelines and Standards.
- Provide technical guidance and support to the design and implementation of nutrition sensitive programmes ensuring nutrition issues are mainstreamed and integrated across all activities implemented in the region and are followed up for compliance. This includes engaging and coordinating with resilience, school meals and Nutrition units and other relevant actors including region Bureau of health, Regional Bureau Agriculture and DRMC
- Provide program management support to school feeding and Nutrition programmes and projects of big and moderate size that are relatively straight forward in nature, ensuring a coordinated approach with wider programmes that complies with WFP standards and procedures.
- Follow data gathering and monitoring systems ensuring that rigorous quality standards are maintained.
- Support the capacity building of WFP staff and partners including government staff and Nutrition sector to review or develop strategies, protocols, training materials, SBCC and other programme materials necessary to improve quality nutrition service delivery focusing on treatment, preventive and other nutrition sensitive programmes.
- Research and analyse policy and operational issues to support senior colleagues in the development of policies, programmes and activities.
- Contribute to the preparation of accurate and timely reporting on school meals and nutrition programmes and activities that enable informed decision making and consistency of information presented to stakeholders.
- Liaise with internal counterparts to ensure effective collaboration, monitor ongoing projects.
- Support the identification, development, and management of potential partnerships to collaborative working leading to improved food assistance packages.
- Support the capacity building of WFP staff, partners and national government to prepare for and respond to food assistance needs, e.g. through project management support of learning initiatives.
- Provide guidance to support staff, acting as a point of referral and assisting them with analysis and queries.
- Other as required.
Qualifications & Experience Required
BA Degree (preferably Advanced University degree) in International Affairs, Applied Human Nutrition/Public Health Nutrition, Agriculture, Rural Development, Food science, Disaster risk management, Social Sciences, or other field relevant to international development assistance.
One year of senior role experience with additional five years of managerial and coordination experience in areas of nutrition (treatment and prevention) and school meals programs
Knowledge and Skills:
- Demonstrated experience in leading nutrition sensitive programming and home-grown school feeding program design and implementation.
- Experience in working and coordinating with multi stakeholders and flagships in area of resilience, nutrition, and school meals
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge program integration and multisectoral thematic approach to tackle root causes of malnutrition
- Experience in staff management and team building.
- Has experience in providing input into policy discussions and decisions.
International Professional: Fluency in English language and local language of duty station.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
23 June 2023
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has a zero-tolerance approach to conduct such as fraud, sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to WFP’s standards of conduct and will therefore undergo rigorous background verification internally or through third parties. Selected candidates will also be required to provide additional information as part of the verification exercise. Misrepresentation of information provided during the recruitment process may lead to disqualification or termination of employment
WFP will not request payment at any stage of the recruitment process including at the offer stage. Any requests for payment should be refused and reported to local law enforcement authorities for appropriate action.
How to Apply
To Apply for this vacancy Click on the ‘Apply Now’ button below. Please make sure that you have read the requirements section very well before you apply.
For more vacancy alerts like World Food Programme vacancy announcement, join us on Telegram