Program Communication Officer – Action Against Hunger Vacancy Announcement, September 4 2023
Organization: Action Against Hunger
Position: Program Communication Officer
Employment: Full time
Program Communication Officer
Country Office: Ethiopia
Work Base: Action Against Hunger USA, Somali Base Jigjiga
Availability: As Soon As Possible
# Of Position: 1
Salary Scale: EMS – 06 level 01 662$
Insurance – (Life, Group Personal Accident and Medical Insurances are covered upon the organization policies).
Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply for this position.
About Action Against Hunger
Action Against Hunger-USA is a global humanitarian organization that takes decisive action against the causes and effects of hunger. We save the lives of malnourished children and we enable entire communities to be free from hunger. With more than 8,000 staff in over 50 countries, our programs reached 17+ million people yearly.
About the Country Program in Ethiopia
Action Against Hunger has been operational in Ethiopia since 1984 responding to both chronic and acute needs through a multi-sectoral strategy where nutrition, Food Security and Livelihoods, WASH, and Mental Health and Psychosocial Support activities are integrated to have a meaningful impact on people’s resilience. Action Against Hunger currently operates in 5 different regions (Oromia, Somali, Amhara, Benishangul Gumuz, and Gambella) with a portfolio of 20m USD/year of emergency, resilience building, research, and innovation programs. We have a country team of around 600 staff in 17 regional and satellite offices. Our main donors in Ethiopia in 2020/2021 are BHA, ECHO, Europaid, UNHCR, UNICEF, GFFO, BPRM, SIDA, EHF, WFP, CIAA, The Netherlands (Dutch) Government and others.
I. Position Summary
The successful person will be responsible for the management of the Jijiga, coordinating and communicating between the field, country office, and the region. Support the field/country office, in all Administrative processes that liaise with the region. Develop a filling system of all projects document, develop contacts and improve ACF working relationships with governmental, regional and non-governmental bodies at Regional level.
The Program Officer role’s purpose, engagement and delivery is:
· Purpose (The substantive focus of the job encompassing scope, depth and difficulty of work both conceptual and applied)
Objective 1: Liaise with local, zonal, and regional authorities in Somali Region
- Liaise with the authorities to communicate ACF programs, project activities and troubleshoot challenges (with FC and AA Coordination Team) with regional authorities as needed
- Participate in negotiating with the regional authorities about renewal of project agreements and proposals
- Establish and/or reinforce relations with representatives of the different administrative services.
- Regularly communicate with ACF Field Coordinator, Country Liaison and Reporting Manager, CD, Program Managers on ACF public relations strategy.
Objective 2: Develop ACF regional network and represent the organization when liaising with partners at regional level
- Ensure to attend the coordination meetings in Jijiga. Inform the FC/AA Coordination Team of important meetings that requires their presence
- Ensure that ACF strategy in Somali region is well understood by the various partners.
- Keep informed about Somali Region field activities and develop a network of contacts according to ACF program-related needs.
- Keep an updated list of contacts. Regularly share the updated list with Field Co and Coordination Team in Addis Ababa.
· Engagement: (The focus of interaction both internally and externally needed to deliver a service seek collaboration and build effective partnerships)
Objective 3: Management and Running of Jijiga Sub-Office Base
- Management of all affairs of the Jijiga office, under the coordination of FC
- Manage and support all field assignment referred to Jijiga office
- In charge of verifying and validating all the financial documents following the AAH financial rules and regulations (translation, information needed on a voucher, signatures, supporting documents, etc) Ensure no cash is released without complete documentation if any.
- Consolidate the weekly cash request and send to the Field Coordinator each Friday morning, if any.
- Management of the Base petty cash/handle the reporting part of the cash accounts movements if any.
- In case of cash difference, she/he has to refer to the Field Coordinator and ACF could ask her/him to reimburse it because it is her/his responsibility if any.
- Monitor and Settle monthly bills regularly (Electric & water, telephone, internet, etc) if we share office with other partners in the future.
- Support the field base in all petty procurement requests at Jijiga and ensure the log produces in the organization are followed through.
- Manage & translate all administrative/HR documents received from the region and convey to the field and country office respectively
- Coordinate between the field for any recruitment process and support in all administrative issues at Jijiga base level
- Liaise with the Administration office in consultation with the Field base/Capital HR department regarding pension and tax issues if any.
- Perform any other related duties as assigned by line manager
· Delivery: (The focus on the execution of the work and the role on the team for supporting business/operational functions in terms of timeliness and quality)
Objective 4: Reporting
- Help prepare reports to government offices and ensure they are turned in/Submitted ON TIME.
- Update list of government reports expected at Regional level and confirm all recipients of report. Share list with FC and AA Coordination Team
- Report on all Jijiga coordination meetings. Send copy to FC, coordination in AA, and other concerned staff in timely fashion.
- Report challenges immediately to FC/AA
- Support the PMs/FC in producing regional proposals reports;
- Ensure consistency between the proposals and reports;
- Support in preparation and compiling on a timely manner the regional project amendment/ time extension;
- Support the PMs/FC in preparation the regional annual report,
- Support the PMs/FC in preparation the region Annual Plan of Operation
- Prepare Base monthly report and send to field coordinator by 5th of every month. Include logistics, finance, and HR per AAH procedure.
- Report any changes in regional procedures or policy change related to INGOs
- Report to FC/AA Logistic any security incident in the region immediately
I. Supervisory Responsibilities
II. Gender Equality Commitments
· Foster an environment that supports values of women and men, and equal access to information.
· Provide a work environment where women and men must be evaluated and promoted based on their skills and performance.
· Respect beneficiaries’ women, men, children (boys and girls) regardless of gender, sex orientation, disability, religion. race, color, ancestry, national origin, age, or marital status.
· Value and respect all cultures.
III. Fiscal Responsibility
IV. Physical Demands
· While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit for long periods and to concentrate on work, including typing, and turn out heavy volumes of work accurately, within short time frames under stressful situations in the context of a moderately noisy office with many interruptions. Must be able to proofread own work accurately so that only minor corrections are needed on an infrequent basis.
· The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
V. Working Conditions, Travel and Environment
The duties of the job require regular job attendance at least five days per week. Must be available to work outside normal office hours or on the weekends as required.
Must be able to travel as required for standard domestic and international business purposes. While performing the duties of this job in the field, the employee may be exposed to precarious settings under high security risks and/or very basic living conditions and outside weather conditions, as well as to infectious diseases.
VI. Required Qualifications and Professional Experience
University Degree with a background in Health/Nutrition from a recognized university/college is advantageous. Working experience in management and coordination/Liaising with authorities is an asset. Experience in working or managing multisector projects like Nutrition & Health, WASH, FSL, and Protection, Proficient in computer (Word & Excel) with knowledge of finance and logistic is desirable. Experience with INGO is compulsory.
VII. Required Skills & Competencies
Organizational skills – Dynamism – Autonomy-Strong communication skills – Excellent reporting abilities in Somali, English, and Amharic languages. – Good sense of diplomacy-Good knowledge of local procedures and intervention areas – Fluency in Somali and English language is mandatory.
How to Apply
If you are interested, please send your application composed of none returnable CV, a Covering Letter with “Program Communication Officer” written in the subject line, and three references, directly in person to our Somali-Gode office or Through www.ethiojobs.net
Closing date: 14 September 2023
NB: Only shortlisted applicants will be communicated and the selection process includes a technical test and an interview.