Nurse – Local Status, Medicins Sans Frontieres-Belgium (MSF-Belgium) Vacancy Announcement; March 30, 2023
Organization: Medicins Sans Frontieres-Belgium (MSF-Belgium)
Position: Nurse – Local Status
Employment: Full time
Experience Level: Junior Level (2 years)
Salary: As per the organization salary Scale
Number of Positions: Not Specified
Date of Announcement: March 30, 2023
Deadline: April 5, 2023
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF Belgium) is an independent international medical humanitarian organization that delivers emergency aid in more than 70 countries to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural or man-made disasters, or exclusion from healthcare.
The main purpose of the Position
Providing nursing care, treatment and follow-up of patients, according to doctors’ prescriptions, protocols applied in service and universal hygiene standards/precautions, in order to ensure the quality and continuity of care for the targeted population.
- Knowing, promoting, implementing and following up the universal hygiene standards/ precautions, bio-hazard prevention and infection control, security rules and other protocols and procedures in the medical premises and ensuring high standards of hygiene of his/her working environment – incl. respecting medical secrets and confidentiality at all times.
- Organizing and carrying out care and treatments according to medical prescriptions, and assisting during consultations, daily rounds and other medical procedures – incl. participating in health education of the patient (and family) when necessary.
- Identifying Sexually Gender Based Violence victims and referring them to the medical team so they can receive the necessary treatment. Knowing and is aware of the importance and appropriate use of the Post Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP) Kit
- Ensuring patients are properly received and installed and that those with lack of autonomy are assisted, especially regarding their feeding, personal hygiene, movements and comfort. For ER and OPD nurse, ensuring triage of patients in waiting areas, wards or during emergencies, detecting the priority acute/emergency cases, carrying out first aid care and referring them to the doctor when necessary
- Sending material to be sterilized and recuperates it from sterilization
- Carrying out admission, surveillance and follow-up of patients (i.e. assessment of the evolution of their state of health and the identification of any emergency situation or deterioration
- Carrying and supervising administrative procedures and documents (fill in patient’s files, forms, consumptions, statistics, registers, health files, etc.), ensuring an appropriate written/oral handover, and reporting any problematic situations and cases that may arise. Participating in data collection and keeping doctors/supervisors informed.
- Participating in the department-related pharmacy and medical equipment control and maintenance (quality and its functioning, storage conditions, follow-up of expired drugs inventories, stock takes of medicines and material at every team changeover ensuring no material is taken out of nursing area/wards without prior authorisation, etc.)
- Perform cleaning and minor maintenance for biomedical equipment used. Following the user manual and protocols and alert supervisor in case of malfunctioning.
- Supervising and training nurse-aids, nutritional assistants, cleaners and other related staff under his/her supervision, ensuring teamwork and adherence to all appropriate protocols and procedures.
MSF Section/Context-Specific Accountabilities
- Develop plan of care for patient reflecting on the collaboration with the other member of healthcare team in Korem Hospital
- Perform and observe proper treatment regimen ordered by the physician with accuracy and timely manner
- Perform therapeutic nursing intervention and ensure multi-disciplinary approach treatment to all patients admitted in their respective department
- Provide general health education to patients and their caretakers
- Be responsible, look after and account for all equipment and materials used in the department supported by MSF (ER/IPD Pediatrics/ Maternity & NICU)
- Maintains patients confidentiality and privacy at all times
- Informs and refers to the MDs in case of complications or problems exceeding his/her competence
- Communicates relevant information to patients and maintains polite and professional attitude at all times
- Attends and contributes to staff meetings
- Attends and contributed to training sessions
- Assists in management of medical stocks and participate in organizing and in preparing the department set-up
- Assists in any other activity if necessary (laboratory, translation)
- Promotes ideas to improve daily activities
- Application of basic hygiene rules in the department
- Support the hospital staff in respect to clinical management, basic nursing care, waste segregation etc.
- Being capable to respond to any emergency in any kind of situation
- Ensure correct and complete data and patients chart.
INFECTION, PREVENTION AND CONTROL
- Follow infection control protocols and guidelines as per recommendation by MSF and Korem Hospital
- Ensure that monitoring of medical and biomedical equipment in collaboration with the MOH staff. Train staff on how to clean those equipment in regular basis
- Observe standard precautions and 3 pillars of IPC
- Report unnecessary actions concerning IPC to Nursing Team Supervisor for appropriate intervention
- Ensure good teamwork with cleaners and observe schedule of their activities
- Proper and accurate inventory of medical stocks in the assigned department and submission in timely manner
- Ensure that medical stocks provided in the department are properly monitored and consumption tools are implemented well
- Ensure proper reception of stocks from the central pharmacy and logistics department
- Communicate to Nursing team supervisor for any items in pre-rupture and ruptures; request medical stocks on time and in a regular basis
DATA COLLECTION and DOCUMENTATION
- Completion of data and provide necessary quality data from assigned departments
- Ensuring that patients charts are complete, and all reports are submitted within the timeframe required by the department.
MEETINGS and PARTICIPATION
- Proactively attend meetings and trainings to ensure good quality care to all patients as required by the team supervisor/ manager
- Ensure to follow necessary activities in the department
- Education: Essential recognized nurse degree/diploma. Desirable Bachelor in Science of Nursing.
- Experience: Desirable 2 years of previous experience and previous experience in other NGO’s. Demonstrable experience in supervising and training others in a team setting.
- Language: Amharic and Tigrinya
How to Apply
If you are interested, please send your National ID, CV (not more than 3 pages), and cover letter (not more than one page) with “Nurse position” written in the subject line, submit hard copy of application in MSF Belgium in Korem at the gate of the Korem Hospital in the box for that effect. You can also apply by soft copy at firstname.lastname@example.org
Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
MSF Belgium promotes EQUITY, DIVERSITY & INCLUSION.
We strongly encourage women and people with reduced mobility (able to work in remote places) to apply.
For more vacancy alerts like this Medicins Sans Frontieres-Belgium (MSF-Belgium) Vacancy Announcement, Join us on Telegram