Migration Health Nurse – International Organization for Migration Vacancy Announcement, February 21 2023
Organization: International Organization for Migration – IOM
Position: Migration Health Nurse
Employment: Full time
Location: Jijiga, Somali
Salary: As per IOM Salary Scale (G5) – 1,440 USD
Deadline: Feb 26, 2023
|Position Title:||Migration Health Nurse|
|Duty Station:||Jijiga, Ethiopia|
|Type of Appointment:||SST, Nine months with possibility of extension|
|Estimated Start Date:||As soon as possible|
|Closing Date:||26 February 2023|
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting huma0ne and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal & External candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy.
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Sub-Office, Jijiga and direct supervision of the Migration Health Officer, the successful candidate will be responsible for the following duties and responsibilities in relation to the Migration Health Assessment Centre (MHAC) in Jijiga, Ethiopia.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Perform daily nursing activities in the Migration Health Assessment Clinic (MHAC) to fulfill the technical requirements of the resettlement countries in the areas of:
a. Medical examinations (Such as checking vital signs, weight, height, visual acuity; Blood, urine or sputum collection as required)
c. Laboratory testing;
e. TB management;
f. Treatment and referrals;
g. Pre-departure procedures and medical movements;
h. Documentation, certification and information transmission; and,
i. Other technical areas as may be required.
- Provide information and detailed explanations to the migrants and/or refugees in relation to:
- The migration health assessment process; and,
- Treatments and referrals.
- Ensure proper identification and follow-up by:
- Comprehensive history taking;
- Accurate and thorough Bio-data collection;
- Ensuring ID verification for each step of the health assessment process; and,
- Keeping a register of applicants who undergo health investigations and testing.
- Follow and implement the Health Assessment Programme’s check lists and SOP’s and maintain standard universal precautions within MHAC.
- Verify samples of sputum, blood or others are properly transported to the laboratory or previously designated location.
- Maintain and monitor the MHAC pharmacy, stock, medical kits and emergency kits within the MHAC and for medical escorts if applicable.
- Provide pre and/or post counselling to migrants or refugees on TB or HIV education, prevention and management as appropriate.
- Prepare administrative reports and program updates as necessary.
- Support the planning and execution of mobile missions if applicable.
- Assist with pre-departure documents, briefings and preparations as necessary.
- Perform medical escort duties when required to ensure migrants receive continued care throughout all phases of migration (before departure, during the journey and at the final destination).
- Maintain collaborative relationships with various partners to facilitate the follow up and relevant information sharing. Partners include internal IOM departments, other health providers, panel physicians, embassies other UN agencies or NGO’s and others as applicable.
- Collect statistical information and share with the Senior Migration Health Nurse or MHO as per preset and agreed upon format.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
- Nursing Degree with a minimum of three years relevant clinical experience and a valid license to practice nursing in Ethiopia.
- Three years of professional experience in nursing.
- Excellent technical skills, including in phlebotomy.
- Training or working experience in the areas of Tuberculosis management, mass immunizations, communicable diseases, laboratory testing or public health is an advantage.
- Computer literacy required: MS Office suite (Word, Excel, Access)
- Fluency in English, Somali and Amharic.
- Working knowledge of other Ethiopian local language(s) is an advantage.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 3
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to Apply
For applicants to be considered, applicants are required to apply via Ethiojobs.net indicating the short vacancy number and position title as mentioned in the short vacancy notice he/she applied for in the email Subject line. Any application that does not have this information in the subject line will not be considered and attach the following:
- Motivation/Application letter
- CV (written in English) with three professional referees and their contacts (both email and telephone)
- Copies of all Academic Certificates from an Accredited University
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
From 20-Feb-2023 to 26-Feb-2023
We strongly encourage qualified women to apply!
For more vacancy alerts like International Organization for Migration Vacancy Announcement, join us on Telegram