Mental Health and Psycho-social Support (MHPSS) Counselor(Mobile) – Plan International Ethiopia Vacancy Announcement, May 25 2023
Organization: Plan International Ethiopia
Position: Mental Health and Psycho-social Support (MHPSS) Counselor(Mobile)
Employment: Full time
Location: Sidama and SNNP Woredas, SNNPR
Deadline: May 30, 2023
Plan International is a rights-based development and humanitarian organization working for better lives for all children. We are independent of government and have no political or religious affiliation. Our purpose is to strive for a just world that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We have been building powerful partnerships for children for more than 80 years, and are now active in more than 70 countries.
The MHPSS Counsellor is responsible for support designing and implementation of all emergency and recovery Health related activities specially MHPSS at local level using participatory and community-based approaches. S/he is also responsible to provide surge technical support and guidance at local level to Woreda health office experts and other staff working in the area of MHPSS. S/he is also responsible for compiling progress reports and documentation and sharing of best practices and lessons learnt in MHPSS, SGBV and nutrition.
Accountability and Main Activities
Objective: – Planning and Implementation of the Mental Health and Psychosocial Support Activities (30%)
- Ensure correct identification and recruitment of peoples with minor to sever mental problem to individual and group therapy based the established screening criteria
- Ensure correct identification of cases with GBV and disability provide appropriate psychosocial support
- Proved basic stress management and PFA to affected IDP and host community
- Follow-up and track client attendance and participation and document client and project progress to asses MHPSS efficacy
- Document and share learning from counseling, integration with other health/nutrition activity
- Coordinator with MHNT and other MHPSS counselors
- Implement and facilitate awareness-raising sessions at centres and community levels, based on a guidebook; particularly on child development, mothering practices, mother and child interactions and breastfeeding practices
- Ensure IYCF and hygiene sanitation key messages are integrated in MHPSS activity
- Use established protocols to refer clients in need of clinical treatment
- Maintain confidentiality in all matters relating to group participants, consistent with organizational policies and laws
- Collect key client data and prepare reports on progress made, together with observations, challenges faced, and lessons learned
- Work closely with project technical staff in ensuring coordination and integration across all activities
Objective: – Technical Support and Capacity Building (30%)
- Jointly develop monthly, weekly work plan with other MHNT staffs
- Develop and maintain close working relationship with partners responsible for MNCH-N, DRM, MHPSS TWG in their designated area
- Provides support for health and nutrition trainings, workshops, and meetings conducted at zonal/woreda/Kebele level
- Conduct training need assessment to identify relevant community members (Women affair, CSW, HAD, HEW, HWs) knowledge gap and design appropriate training accordingly
- Assist project staffs MHNT and others to include MHPSS key messages in their activity
- Train staffs, CSW, volunteers on mental health impact on nutrition and child development
- Ensure community level referral linkage and collaboration
- Strengthen referral linkage of critical cases between PHCUs and Hospitals
Objective: – Monitoring and Supervision (20%)
- Maintain up-to-date data related to nutrition and MHPSS activities and deliver to H &N coordinator
- Ensure close working relationship with the MHNT and establish coordination and integration of the health and nutrition and the MHPSS activities.
- Facilitate/Conduct joint, supportive supervision with MHNT and CO level health and nutrition thematic specialist on the activities.
- Facilitates and encourages regular review meeting and review schedules at all woreda levels and help the different institutions have it institutionalized commitment;
- Together with other health and nutrition team sets project quality standards and action steps and monitor the performance accordingly;
- Prepare a monthly program and program support plan that helps to visit field activities and provide formal and informal feedback to the program staff in terms of recommendations for improved performance;
- Conducts regular mentoring to community health workers and health extension workers and develop their group and individual counselling skills.
Objective: – Ensuring on time reporting, data quality and learning documentation (20%)
- Prepare and submit weekly, monthly, quarterly high-quality reports
- Establishes and maintains documentation system for all program activities including, minutes of technical meetings
- Document project learning, success stories, case studies, and learning briefs
- Ensure improved data collection and reporting systems during supportive supervision or monitoring field visits to each project operational areas
Safeguarding Children and Young People (Safeguarding) and Gender Equality and Inclusion (GEI)
- Understand and put into practice the responsibilities under Safeguarding and GEI policies and Plan International’s Code of Conduct (CoC).
- Ensure that Plan International’s global policies for Safeguarding Children and Young People and Gender Equality and Inclusion are fully embedded in day to day work.
- Ensure that Plan Ethiopia contributes to Plan International’s global efforts to ensure safeguarding and GEI, including making sure that relevant reporting and data are submitted.
Technical expertise, skills and knowledge
- Health/psychological/social diploma and other relevant fields of study
- Minimum over 3 year’s relevant experience and with this at least 1.5 years relevant experience in an international NGO or similar organization Knowledge of policy and practice in the field of emergency nutrition intervention, MHPSS, IYCF and health.
- Experience in developing and monitoring budgets.
- Computer literate in word processing and excel packages.
- An understanding of child rights and their protection and fulfilment in the development context.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; both in English & Amharic
- Experience on pastoral community in particular in emergency project is an advantageous.
How to Apply
The closing date for the application is May 30, 2023. Qualified candidates should submit their application with the links provided below.
For internal applicants: https://performancemanager5.successfactors.eu/sf/jobreq?jobId=46801&company=PlanInt
For external applicants: https://jobs.plan-international.org/job-invite/46801/
This position is only open to Ethiopian Nationals, who must be eligible to live and work in Ethiopia.
Please note that:
· Only Shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
· We are not accepting CVs that are not sent through the indicated links.
· Early application is encouraged as we will review applications throughout the advertising period and reserve the right to close the advert early.
· Female candidates are highly encouraged to Apply
More information about Plan International can be found on http:// plan-international.org
References will be taken and background and anti-terrorism checks will be carried out in conformity with Plans Child Protection Policy. Plan operates an equal opportunities policy and actively encourages diversity, welcoming applications from all persons meeting the skills and experience required.
As an international child centered community development organisation, Plan International is fully committed to promoting the realization of children’s rights including their right to protection from violence and abuse. That means we have particular responsibilities to children that we come into contact with.
Plan International believes that in a world where children face so many threats of harm, it is our duty to ensure that we, as an organisation, do everything we can to keep children safe. We must not contribute in any way to harming or placing children at risk.
For more vacancy alerts like this Plan International Ethiopia Vacancy Announcement, join us on Telegram