Medical Officer – World Food Programme Vacancy Announcement, May 7 2023
Organization: World Food Programme (WFP)
Position: Medical Officer
Contract Type: Service Contract
Duty station: Multiple Duty Stations (Semera and Jigjiga), Ethiopia
Deadline: May 18 2023
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
The Emergency doctor will provide primary health care service, emergency care and Advance Life Support under Ethiopia Medical Assistance Team (EMAT) in the allocated duty station to the staff and eligible dependents.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
1. Provide evidenced based primary care, preventive, curative, promotive and rehabilitative to all eligiblefamily and staff members as established by the ET CO.
2. Provide first-aid and emergency response and care to the staff and their recognized dependents.
3. Perform diagnostic and laboratory tests such as: ECG and rapid laboratory (malaria RDT, urine dipstick,etc).
4. Assist in the follow-up of previously diagnosed chronic medical conditions for which treatment has alreadybeen started.
5. Provide early detection in mental health cases and arrange referral to appropriate specialists to facilitateproper treatment and follow up support.
6. Dispense generic medications properly according evidenced based medicine, in line with internationalstandards and reviewing instructions with patients.
7. Administer medication, injection, vaccination, initiate intravenous fluids fluid, dressing, stitching, minorforeign body extraction, and other medical procedures as prescribed.
8. Provide COVID19 guidelines and follow up the staff and their dependents by providing testing, covidmitigation measures and follow up of isolated cases.
9. Rotate to sub office locations to perform the above and reporting on the health status of staff and local(emergency) medical support options.
10. Participate in UN COVID19 vaccination campaign as requested, collecting data and sending reports asrequired.
11. Work with and technically support the screening nurses on COVID19 related issues as well as supportthem when dealing with any medical issues in coordination with head doctor.
12. Consult with the Head Doctor when a given presenting problem goes beyond scope ofpractice/experience
13. Maintain electronic medical records of patients in locked and secured manner with regular backup.
14. Maintain strict confidentiality with regards to patient’s medical records, patient management andtreatment.
15. Assist in coordinating and providing to Head Doctor or UN Agency Doctors the essential clinicalinformation for medical evacuations as needed.
16. Provide medical emergency care and in providing medical support during evacuation and repatriationand advise evacuees on the requirements for evacuation and/or escorting patients if needed.
17. Determine patient disposition when necessary (e.g. continued observation and primary treatment,referral, medical evacuation or other);
18. Be available and on-call for consultation 24 hours.
19. Plan health promotion and illness/injury prevention training campaigns for WFP and other UN agencyemployees in coordination with the WFP Wellness Division.
20. Facilitate referral to appropriate qualified specialist or to other qualified hospitals/private clinics, asrequired.
21. Participate in weekly peer review meetings with Head Doctor to review clinical cases.
22. Ensure preparedness of employees travelling on missions or reassignments, including administration ofappropriate vaccines, instructions on malaria prophylaxis and other travel- related ailments; Perform otherrelated duties as required.
Key Accountabilities (continued)
- Medical Administrative Duties
1. Recommend medical evacuation when required to the Head Doctor or regional medical doctor.
2. Undertake Entry, Periodic/Exit Medical Examinations, provide certificate for Sick Leave when appropriate,make recommendations for Medical Travel as needed.
3. Maintain strict patient confidentiality by not sharing medical records with agency/employer Ensure properfollow up and if required, referral on all cases.
4. Document all case findings, referrals, and follow up; Establish good relations with reliable hospitals andprivate medical facilities.
5. Ensure that proper medical records are kept in a strictly confidential manner.
6. Perform any other duties as requested by the Head Doctor or EMAT project manager.
- Administrative Duties
1. Maintain up-to-date inventory of the EMAT Clinic Pharmacies, medical/diagnostic supplies, equipment,and consumables requesting replenishment before running out and sending inventory report to the projectmanager as required.
2. Maintain a 24-hour roster of available specialists for referral and treatment.
3. Check equipment and supplies at every rotation and maintains them in working order.
4. Ensure that any single use medical instruments are properly disposed of any reusable medicalinstruments are properly sterilized.
5. Maintain the clinic in a neat, clean, well-organized condition.
6. Sending timely and accurate consultation report and other activity reports to the project manager asrequested.
7. Participate in internal meetings and in external meeting representing EMAT as requested.
8. Perform other related duties as required.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: University degree in Medicine or demonstrably equivalent studies from a recognized institution. Registration as a general Practitioner in the country of origin is required. (Doctorate, Master, or equivalent is an added advantage). Additional training and certification in emergency case management will be an advantage (ACLS/PHTLS).
Experience: A minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible professional experience relevant to the field is required.
Knowledge & Skills:
• Specialist expertise in the assessment of medical health needs and the assessment of risk.
• Demonstrated skills to create a trusted environment in which patients can talk confidentially.
• Ability to manage medical emergency situations with limited resources. • Excellent clinical knowledge and skills.
• Excellent communication skills (oral, written and presentation).
• Analytical ability
• Ability to communicate effectively with people of both genders and diverse national and cultural backgrounds.
Language: Fluency in the English language and knowledge of the local language is an advantage.
OTHER SPECIFIC JOB REQUIREMENTS
- Accurate, dependable, and able to retain composure during emergency situations.
- Ability to respect and maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to make independent, precise decisions requiring speed and sound judgment.
- Ability to manage medical emergency situations with limited resources.
- Excellent clinical knowledge and skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with clients, staff, volunteers, the community and a wide range of agencies and professionals.
- Excellent communication skills (oral, written and presentation).
- Ability to communicate effectively with people of both genders and diverse national and cultural backgrounds.
- Skills in designing and delivering trainings/information sessions on a number of subjects and ability to adapt those to different audiences.
- Time management
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
18 May 2023
WFP has a zero-tolerance approach to conduct such as fraud, sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to WFP’s standards of conduct and will therefore undergo rigorous background verification internally or through third parties. Selected candidates will also be required to provide additional information as part of the verification exercise. Misrepresentation of information provided during the recruitment process may lead to disqualification or termination of employment
WFP will not request payment at any stage of the recruitment process including at the offer stage. Any requests for payment should be refused and reported to local law enforcement authorities for appropriate action.
How to Apply
To Apply for this vacancy Click on the ‘Apply Now’ button below. Please make sure that you have read the requirements section very well before you apply.
For more vacancy alerts like World Food Programme vacancy announcement, join us on Telegram