Medical Doctor – The Pharo Foundation Vacancy Announcement, April 20 2023
Organization: The Pharo Foundation
Position: Medical Doctor
Location: Asossa, BGRS
Date of Announcement: April 20 2023
Deadline: May 5 2023
The Pharo Foundation (the ‘’Foundation”) is a privately funded entrepreneurial organisation that runs philanthropic programmes as well as a for-profit arm, Pharo Ventures. The Vision of the Foundation is an economically vibrant and inclusive Africa. The Mission is to achieve the Vision by investing in the human and physical capital of Africa, with a strong focus on job creation.
Established in 2011, The Foundation has been implementing numerous programmes in Ethiopia and Somaliland and is in the process of expanding into Rwanda and Kenya. The strategic pillars of the Foundation are education, health, water, and agriculture. One such example is the ongoing implementation of a large-scale water project in Somaliland with the aim of bringing water to 6,000 households and their livestock. In 2020, the Foundation also established Pharo Ventures, its wholly owned social enterprise arm, with the objectives of economic value and job creation in East Africa
The Foundation has a programme office in Assosa, the regional capital of Ethiopia’s Benishangul Gumuz Regional State (BGRS), with plans to expand operations in the country. Since its establishment in 2016, the Foundation’s programme office has been working on an integrated livelihood development programme that covers agriculture, water, health, and education. The Foundation opened the best class diagnostic centre in Assosa, BGRS, to complement curative health services and to become a reliable partner to the region’s and beyond the existing health systems. The Pharo Diagnostic Centre is intended to aid in the improvement of BGRS’ health infrastructure by providing advanced high quality medical laboratory services to customers, later adding imaging investigations and further laboratory testing.
Headquartered in London, the Foundation has an operational head office in Nairobi, Kenya with country offices in Ethiopia (Addis Ababa and Assosa), Somaliland (Hargeisa), and Rwanda (Kigali) with further expansion plans in Africa.
The Medical Doctor should be an accomplished, empathic general practitioner. His/her duties include examining patients, ordering and interpreting lab results, diagnosing common illnesses, and administering or prescribing appropriate treatment and ultimately refer patients when necessary.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Examine patients and take their histories, order laboratory tests, X-rays and other diagnostic procedures and consult with other medical practitioners to evaluate patients’ physical and mental health.
- Prescribe and administer medications and treatments.
- Provide emergency care.
- Provide acute care management.
- Vaccinate patients to prevent and treat diseases.
- Advise patients and their families on health care including health promotion, disease, illness and accident prevention.
- Perform patient advocacy role.
- Coordinate or manage primary patient care.
- Supervise home care services.
- Ensure all reports required by patients, health regulators and management are done accurately and on time.
- Participate in promoting the efficient use of financial and human resources at Pharo Diagnostic Centre.
- Participate in the collection and analysis of epidemiological data
- Provide regular progress reports (weekly, bi-monthly, monthly, quarterly, bi-annually and annually) and other situational reports.
- Participate in all the clinical quality assurance processes at Pharo Diagnostic Center.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned by management.
Location: Asossa, BGRS
Reporting to: PDC Director
Functional Relationships: Regional Director of Health, Programme Office Manager, Country Head of Health and other related thematic units
- Bachelor’s degree in Medicine and Surgery from a recognised university.
- Minimum 5 years of work experience in medical practice.
- Valid license to practice in Ethiopia.
- Competent in relevant computer skills: MS word, MS excel, MS PowerPoint.
- Excellent communicator and comfortable to work in a team.
- Compassionate to help patients.
- Have the patience to deal with different health and social problems of patients.
- Emotionally stable to deal with different stressful conditions.
- Demonstrate high professional and ethical standards.
- Ready to update himself/herself with up-to-date medical knowledge and medical standards.
- Be impartial and show equal respect and care for all patients irrespective of their social backgrounds.
How to Apply
For more vacancy alerts like this The Pharo Foundation Vacancy Announcement, Join us on Telegram