Medical Doctor – Local Status, Medicins Sans Frontieres-Belgium (MSF-Belgium) Vacancy Announcement, April 8 2023
Organization: Medicins Sans Frontieres-Belgium (MSF-Belgium)
Position: Medical Doctor – Local Status
Location: Moyale, Oromia
Employment: Full time
Date of Announcement: April 8 2023
Deadline: April 12, 2023
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an independent international medical humanitarian organization that delivers emergency aid in more than 70 countries to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural or man-made disasters, or exclusion from healthcare.
The Purpose of the Position
Under the supervision of the Deputy MedCo, Activity Manager (if any) /Project Coordinator Hierarchically and Activity Manager/ Project Medical Referent –MTL-MFP/ Medical Coordinator functionally, the Medical Doctor will provide outpatient and/or inpatient medical care to patients/beneficiaries according to adapted and updated medical knowledge, MSF protocols, values, and universal hygiene standards to improve the patients/beneficiaries health conditions.
- Apply medical knowledge and skills to diagnosis and prevention. Carry out outpatient and inpatient consultations, prescribing the necessary treatment respecting MSF protocols.
- Keep the patient and/or his/her family informed about the illness and provide appropriate explanations about the treatment to follow, checking they have understood.
- Follow up the evolution of the hospitalized/IDP patients, through daily visits, consultations, and examinations, prescribing the necessary treatment following MSF protocols, deciding whether they can be discharged or transferred to other departments – in collaboration with other doctors- and informing their family about the patient’s evolution.
- Check and control the rational distribution of medicines and equipment under his/her responsibility and take care of the quality, disinfection, and sterilization of the medical material. Assure general compliance with standing hygiene standards.
- Participate in the collection and analysis of epidemiological data, checking its validity and informing the line manager or project coordinator about any problem or complication of the patient’s illness, or medical error and monitors the proper functioning of the department, equipment, or material.
- Ensure ongoing training of the medical/paramedical multidisciplinary team in order to optimize the quality of care.
- Knows and ensures all MSF medical protocols are followed and implemented, checking universal precautions are followed at all times and reducing bio-hazard risks, and improving infection control. Ensures professional confidentiality is respected.
- Manage the team under his/her direct responsibility according to MSF HR policies and procedures, supervising their performance, organizing and scheduling shifts and rotations, and directly participating in emergencies and on calls if necessary.
- MSF Section/Context-Specific Accountabilities
- MSF is an independent, neutral, and impartial organization that is providing quality medical care free of charge regardless of the ethnic origin of the patients, so to both local and internally displaced populations. We ensure that our staff is aware of and respect the cultural differences of our patients and colleagues working together.
- MSF Belgium is providing the most needed medical care in different regions targeting host communities and internally displaced people. Currently, MSF is opening a project in Moyale focusing on focusing on emergency medical intervention.
Roles in the CTC
– Carry out a rapid evaluation of all patients on arrival:
o determines if the patient is AWD or not
o evaluates the degree of dehydration.
– Provide initial emergency care and decides treatment plan (oral or IV rehydration).
– Initiates an individual patient file (parameters, observations, etc.).
– Writes prescriptions.
– Supervises triage nurses.
b. In the ward
– Visits all admitted patients daily and monitors complicated cases closely
Asses comorbidity, treatment complications, etc.
Responds to nurses’ requests and alerts: insertion of the intraosseous needle, concomitant infection, treatment complications, etc.
– Records monitoring and observation parameters on the individual patient file.
– Writes prescriptions (drugs, daily dose, number of times a day, duration)
– Undertake a proper walk thorough handover of the patients to the next shift
– Present and participate in morbidity and mortality meetings
c. Upon discharge
– Validates patient discharge.
– Issue patients « discharge papers » upon discharge
– Writes referral letters if needed (e.g. feeding center, maternity).
Required to work in a shift
Required to attend meeting
Required Qualifications and Professional Experience
Education: Medical Doctor diploma Desirable diploma in Tropical Medicine (For OCB OCBA Tropical Medicine Is essential).
Experience – 2-year experience minimum as a Medical Doctor or in clinical work (can be within medical training). Desirable in tropical medicine, or post-registration experience in Public Health, obs and gynae, pediatrics, A, infectious diseases, HIV/AIDS/STDs, TB, general practice, general medicine, or minor surgery.
Language: Fluent in Amharic, English, and Local language is advantageous.
How to Apply
If you are interested, please send your National ID, CV (not more than 3 pages), and cover letter (not more than one page) with “Medical Doctor position” written in the subject line through Msfocbfirstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline: April 12, 2023.
Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
MSF Belgium promotes EQUITY, DIVERSITY & INCLUSION.
We strongly encourage women and people with reduced mobility (able to work in remote places) to apply
For more vacancy alerts like this Medicins Sans Frontieres-Belgium (MSF-Belgium) Vacancy Announcement, join us on Telegram