UNICEF vacancy announcements, March 3, 2023
Employment: Temporary Appointment, 364 days
Location: Addis Ababa
Experience Level: Senior Level (5 years)
Number of Positions:
Date of Announcement: February 27, 2023
Deadline: March 12, 2023
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, sustainability
Ethiopia is situated in the Horn of Africa and is the second most populous country on the continent with an estimated population of 115 million. It borders six African countries: Djibouti, Eritrea, Kenya, Somalia, South Sudan, and Sudan, and covers 1,104,300 square kilometers. Approximately 85 percent of the population lives in rural areas. Ethiopia represents a melting pot of ancient cultures with Middle Eastern and African cultures evident in the religious, ethnic, and language composition of its people.
Over the past two years, children and their families across Ethiopia faced multiple and complex emergencies, such as the conflict in the northern Ethiopia and the drought, which resulted in millions of people in need of urgent humanitarian assistance. UNICEF has programmes in Child Protection, WASH, Health, Nutrition, Social Policy, and Education and serves over 15 million children in Ethiopia. Join UNICEF Ethiopia to contribute to improving the lives of children and women.
How can you make a difference?
Under the supervision of the Health Manager, Maternal Newborn and Child Health Cluster, the incumbent provides technical leadership to coordinate the Adolescent, Youth Friendly Health Service, Gender Based Violence Support and Mental Health and Psychosocial Service under the EU funded project titled “Building Capacities and Restoring Essential Health Services (CARE4Health) in the conflict affected areas in Ethiopia”.
1. Support to programme development and planning
▪ Provide strategic and technical leadership on the design, and implementation of AYFHS, GBV and MHPSS activities to the UNICEF 5 field offices supported under the EU Project
▪ Participate in AYFHS, GBV and MHPSS strategic programme discussions on the planning, implementation and monitoring of the project in line with UNICEF’s Strategic Plan, the Country Programme, as well as coherence/integration with the UN Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF), regional strategies, and national priorities, plans and competencies.
▪ Work closely and collaboratively with key stakeholders and national regional level to discuss strategies and methodologies, and to determine national priorities and competencies to ensure the achievement of concrete and sustainable results regarding AYFHS, GBV and MHPSS.
▪ Provide AYFHS, GBV and MHPSS technical and operational support throughout all stages of programming processes to ensure integration, coherence, and harmonization of programmes/projects with other UNICEF sectors and achievement of results as planned and allocated.
2. Programme management, monitoring and delivery of results
▪ Plan and/or collaborate with internal and external partners to establish monitoring benchmarks, performance indicators on AYFHS, GBV and MHPSS program areas, and other UNICEF/UN system indicators and measurements to assess and strengthen performance accountability, coherence and delivery of concrete and sustainable results for the project.
▪ Participate in AYFHS, GBV and MHPSS monitoring and evaluation exercises, programme reviews and annual sectoral reviews with the government and other counterparts to assess progress and to determine required action/interventions to achieve results.
▪ Actively monitor AYFHS, GBV and MHPSS programmes/projects through field visits, surveys and/or exchange of information with partners/stakeholders to assess progress, identify bottlenecks, potential problems and take timely decisions to resolve issues and/or refer to relevant officials for timely resolution.
▪ Prepare regular and mandated programme/project reports specific on AYFHS, GBV and MHPSS for management, donors and partners to keep them informed of programme progress
3. Technical and operational support to programme implementation
▪ Provide technical guidance and operational support to government counterparts, implementing partners, on AYFHS, GBV and MHPSS to support programme development planning, management, implementation, and delivery of results.
▪ Coordinate with the other team members particularly, the Health Section and Child Protection team to ensure linkages and complementarity with other ongoing projects and new project in the pipeline related to AYFHS, GBV and MHPSS; build complementarity of partners actions; and avoiding duplication and gaps.
▪ Participate in AYFHS, GBV and MHPSS discussions with national partners, clients and stakeholders to promote health and development issues, especially in the areas of gender, emergency preparedness, maternal and neonatal health, and child survival and development.
▪ Draft AYFHS, GBV and MHPSS policy papers, briefs and other strategic programme materials for management use, information, and consideration.
4. Networking and partnership building
▪ Build and sustain effective close working partnerships with relevant AYFHS, GBV and MHPSS government counterparts and, national stakeholders, through active networking, advocacy and effective communication, build capacity and exchange knowledge and expertise to facilitate the achievement of project’s goal/outcomes.
▪ Prepare AYFHS, GBV and MHPSS information materials for CO programme advocacy to promote awareness, establish partnerships/alliances, and support UNICEF and donor’s visibility.
▪ Participate and/or represent UNICEF in appropriate project related discussions and ensuring organizational position, interests and priorities are fully considered.
5. Innovation, knowledge management and capacity building
▪ Apply and introduce innovative AYFHS, GBV and MHPSS approaches and good practices to build the capacity of partners and stakeholders, and to support the implementation and delivery of concrete and sustainable project’s results.
▪ Keep abreast and conduct research on AYFHS, GBV and MHPSS to provide evidence for implementation of best and cutting-edge practices in health.
▪ Assess, institutionalize, and share best practices and knowledge learned.
▪ Contribute to the development and implementation of AYFHS, GBV and MHPSS policies and procedures to ensure optimum efficiency and efficacy of sustainable programmes and projects.
- An advanced university degree in one of the following fields is required: public health, family health, health research, global/international health, health policy and/or management, socio-medical, health education, epidemiology, or another relevant technical field.
*A first level University degree combined with 2 additional years of professional experience may be accepted in lieu of an Advanced University Degree in the field of journalism, communications, external relations, public affairs, public relations or corporate communications.
- A minimum of five years of professional experience in one or more of the following areas is required: Public Health/Sexual Reproductive Health planning and management, Maternal, Child health and Adolescent Youth Friendly Health Care, Gender Based Violence Support and Mental Health and Psychosocial Service.
- Experience working in a developing country is considered as an asset.
- Relevant experience in a UN system agency or organization is considered as an asset.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish) or a local language is an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s Core Values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, Accountability, and Sustainability (CRITAS) underpin everything we do and how we do it. Get acquainted with Our Values Charter: https://uni.cf/UNICEFValues
UNICEF competencies required for this post are…
- Demonstrates Self and Ethical Awareness (1)
- Works Collaboratively with others (1)
- Builds and Maintains Partnerships (1)
- Innovates and Embraces Change (1)
- Thinks and Acts Strategically (1)
- Drive to achieve impactful results (1)
- Manages ambiguity and complexity (1)
View our competency framework at
How to Apply
Click HERE to view on source and apply
For more vacancy alerts like this UNICEF Vacancy Announcement, Join us on Telegram