Health Specialist – Medical Teams International Vacancy Announcement, May 24 2023
Organization: Medical Teams International
Position: Health Specialist
Employment: Full time
Location: Addis Ababa
Deadline: May 26, 2023
- Support the development of country level organization health strategies, models, and standards for implementing field teams.
- Ensure programs and projects are aligned with Medical Teams strategy, core service package, and interventions are based on best available evidence and international standards.
- Work closely with Health and Nutrition Managers to support and advocate for operational needs of the health and nutrition programs.
- Contextualize and adapt global guidelines, tools, and protocols to meet local clinical needs for program implementation and training with support of the Health Advisor.
- Monitor the health information systems and data management as carried out by M&E teams to ensure it is regularly analyzed and meeting the needs of heath teams.
- Support Health and Nutrition Managers and other health staff to troubleshoot challenges and respond to emerging needs.
- Monitor and evaluate health services against accepted international humanitarian standards and ensure application of evidenced based practices to deliver high quality services to the targeted communities.
- Provide training and capacity building of health technical staff based on assessed needs.
- Liaise with logistics teams to support medical supplies and pharmaceutical supply chains including technical aspects of procurement, warehousing, consumption tracking and pharmaceutical projections.
- In consultation with the health advisor represent MTI at health and nutrition coordination meetings at regional and national level, task force meetings and other partner coordination meetings and communicate relevant information back to the Health Advisor.
- Support production of regular site and donor reports leading on analysis of data and response to achievements or shortfalls.
- Support the health advisor in sector strategy and project design development for new donor proposals and budgeting processes including support for log frames and monitoring and evaluation plans along with M&E team.
- Participate in different assessments and evaluations and produce reports.
- Ensure the Safeguarding of program participants and employees through promoting an environment of awareness and upholding the code of conduct provisions of Medical Teams Protection from Sexual Exploitation & Abuse, Child & Vulnerable Adult protection, and harassment-free workplace policies.
- Other duties as assigned by immediate supervisor.
- Quality Management
- Aiming to achieve the highest quality programming possible within the challenging context of the intervention areas in Ethiopia.
- Ensure that all program quality assurance monitoring is conducted regularly, analyses the result and puts in place a quality improvement plan.
- Support other MTI clinical staff to maintain a good infection control practices to prevent the spread of infection within the clinic and among the staff.
- As necessary work closely with the MEAL manger to ensure data quality
- Support other areas of the office as requested or needed to ensure efficiency and quality of work for all.
- Maintain a clean and safe working environment, disposing of waste appropriately.
The above job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by staff assigned to this job. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of staff in this position. Duties, responsibilities, and skills are also subject to change based on the changing needs of the job, department, or organization. This description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions, it does not proscribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned; The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by Medical Teams International as the requirements of the job change.
- Doctor of medicine (MD) or other relevant clinical degree in public health or Nursing
- Postgraduate training in Public Health is an added advantage.
- Minimum of 5 years progressive responsibility in international humanitarian programs
- Minimum 2 years senior level related role to primary health, maternal and child health, reproductive health, and communicable diseases in humanitarian or development programming, with at least one year in a humanitarian context at an NGO.
- Experience with an international NGO or UN agency is required.
- Knowledge of humanitarian principles and operations and project cycle management.
- Knowledge of [Country] MoH, WHO and UN health systems and policies.
- Strong knowledge of evidenced based practices in health in humanitarian settings.
- Basic knowledge of principles and current approaches to monitoring and evaluation in relief and development programs.
- Fluent spoken and written Amharic and English.
- Excellent communicator .
- Skilled in communications using email, applications including teams, and whatsapp
- Skilled in project cycle management
- Skilled in capacity building and mobilizing staff to achieve a common goal.
- Skilled in relationship building with the ability to liaise with multiple partner agencies.
- Skilled in using HIS and HMIS database systems.
- Skilled in data analysis and writing proposals and reports.
- Skilled at using Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Strategic thinker with analytical skills
- Keen interest to mentor others
- Ability to travel to health facilities frequently and at times upon short notice.
- Ability to exercise considerable initiative to plan, organize and follow through to meet deadlines.
- Ability to support MTI Calling and adhere to the MTI mission, vision and core values
- Ability to work cooperatively in a team environment.
- Ability to prioritize tasks.
- This position requires frequent travel to health facilities located in remote areas with very basic living conditions.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderately quiet.
- The employee may be required to travel to remote areas of the world where there are potential health hazards and risks, limited hygiene facilities, extreme hot or cold weather, and very basic living conditions.
How to Apply