Head of Program / Deputy General Coordinator, Médecins Du Monde -France Vacancy Announcement; July 26 2023
Organization: Médecins Du Monde -France
Position: Head of Program / Deputy General Coordinator
Location: Addis Ababa
Employment: Full time
Salary: 80,870.00 ETB
Deadline: August 25, 2023
For more than 30 years, Médecins du Monde (MDM), a campaigning medical organization committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. It has continued to highlight obstacles that exist in accessing health care and has secured sustainable improvements in health-for-all policies. Those working for this independent organization do not solely dispense care and treatment but condemn violations of human dignity and rights and fight to improve matters for populations living in precarious situations. MdM currently works in 44 countries across all continents where it focuses on 4 priority areas: caring for the health of migrants and displaced persons, promoting sexual and reproductive health, harm reduction associated with drug use, emergencies, and crisis.
Médecins du Monde is operating in Ethiopia since 1986 in different types of health projects from long-term interventions to emergency response.
MdM France has concentrated its efforts on projects related to basic access to primary health care (projects centered on rural health facilities and isolated populations), reduction of maternal mortality through improved quality of obstetric care, promotion of sexual and reproductive health rights including protection against gender-based violence, provision of Mental Health and Psychosocial Support (MHPSS) and reduction of malnutrition.
After a period of uncertainty, the mission has recently significantly grown. Although the Covid-19 pandemic was a challenge for the teams and the programming, in 2020 and 2021 it has expanded with its current programming in Semera (Afar) and Chinaksen (Oromia) where MdM France leads a consortium with COOPI and MdM Germany, and solid prospects for intervention in connection with the conflict in some parts of the country. The mission has also reshaped after the handover of its project in Somali region to MdM Germany in May 2021. Towards the end of 2022, security situation in Tigray region improved following peace agreement and in 2023, MdM plans to intervene in Tigray, to provide integrated primary healthcare services.
Under the supervision of the General Coordinator /Country Representative/ She/he directly overseeing the implementation of the projects activities and ensuring the overall quality and guidance of its programming. Also, you are responsible in supporting the General Coordinator/Country Representative/ in designing and rolling out the mission strategy in the country.
Essential duties and responsibilities.
- Strategic planning
- Ensure a close monitoring of the context, humanitarian and epidemiological situations
- Coordinate the organization of needs assessments as and when required.
- Participate and contribute to the development and rolling out of the mission strategy
- Ensure quality program implementation, in line with MdM mandate and guiding principles
- Make sure the different components of the programs are consistent, accurately integrated and according to the needs of the target population
- Coordination with all partners through Consortium Coordinator to review the quality and progress of the implementation
- Regular budget follow-ups of all programs and ensure compliance to donor regulations
- Ensure regular communications are maintained between the different departments involved in the programs
- Coordinate with General Coordinator for needed communication with donor or authorities in case of context evolution and subsequent necessary adjustment in the response.
Monitoring and reporting
- Carry out a quarterly review of programmatic performance based on the monitoring framework and available indicators.
- Contribute to the organization and realization of external evaluation as and when required
- Participate in the writing of quality donor activity reports and proposals
- Support in development of infographics covering different component of the MdM programs like quarterly newsletter, fact sheet and success stories.
- Ensure that a clear and solid M&E framework is in place at mission level, with regular reviews/assessments and effective feedback mechanism in close collaboration with the program teams and coordinators.
- Visit to project sites for better understanding of the project implementation, and improvements.
- Supervises the program team: Medical Coordinator, MHPSS coordinator, Consortium Coordinator, Nutrition Coordinator, GBV Advisor and MEAL Coordinator. And maintain functional links with 3 Field Coordinators of Afar, Oromia and Tigray regions.
- Ensure information sharing and develop a good team dynamic.
- Provide support and mentorship to improve the capacity of the team especially national staff.
- Regularly and proactively represent MdM in coordination forums related to health, nutrition, etc. as well as with other actors including UN.
- Develop and maintain collaboration with authorities, such as regional finance and health bureaus, Disaster and Risk Managemental Commission (federal and regional), etc.
- Support the General Coordinator in organization of donor field visits or meetings as and when required.
Duty station: Ethiopia, Addis Ababa
Employment Term: 12 months contract with possibility of extension
Basic Salary: 80,870.00 ETB
Reported to: General Coordinator (Country Representative)
Required positions: 1 (One)
Educational Qualification and Professional Experience
- Medical or public health (preferred), GBV, MHPSS and/or Nutrition background
- At least 5+ years of experience in humanitarian settings
- Experience in an international NGO
- Preferable experience in health sector
Skills and qualities required.
- Knowledge and understanding of project management tools (Logical Framework analysis, project cycle management, objectives and indicators etc.).
- Capacity to work and to live in a multicultural environment
- Ability to cope with last minutes changes and solution oriented
- Listening and diplomacy skills
- Team manager with a strong leadership
- Experience in management of multi donor budgets
Required personal skills
- Independence, ability to take the initiative and of responsibility
- Ability to work under stressful situation
- Good analysis, objective, able to take a step back and analyse
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
- Capacity to delegate and to supervise and coach the work
- Strong problem solving and organisational skills in day to day and crisis situations
- Ability to plan, organise and meet deadlines
- Adaptability to changing priorities
- Fluent English and Amharic essential (partner, staff, and international community English-speaking, reporting), including excellent English writing skills
- French: an asset
How to Apply
Interested applicants are required to fill the application form through the following link https://forms.gle/b56SY5kNjbN2AdJYA (Note: All the information that provided in the form is true and accurate) and submit your CV with Cover letter through email@example.com with the subject Head of Program /Deputy General Coordinator.
NB: *Only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted.
*Female applicants are highly encouraged to apply
We will only accept applicants who agree on the salary and length contract mentioned above.
Early application is advantageous we will start the longlisting before end date of the vacancy
For more vacancy alerts like Médecins Du Monde -France vacancy announcement, join us on Telegram