GBV Technical Advisor – Médecins Du Monde -France Vacancy Announcement, August 22 2023
Organization: Médecins Du Monde -France
Position: GBV Technical Advisor
Location: Addis Ababa
Salary: 56,160.00 ETB
Location: Addis Ababa
Deadline: September 22, 2023
For more than 30 years, Médecins du Monde (MDM), a campaigning medical organization committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. It has continued to highlight obstacles that exist in accessing health care and has secured sustainable improvements in health-for-all policies. Those working for this independent organization do not solely dispense care and treatment but condemn violations of human dignity and rights and fight to improve matters for populations living in precarious situations. MdM currently works in 44 countries across all continents where it focuses on 4 priority areas: caring for the health of migrants and displaced persons, promoting sexual and reproductive health, harm reduction associated with drug use, emergencies, and crisis.
Médecins du Monde is operating in Ethiopia since 1986 in different types of health projects from long-term interventions to emergency response.
MdM France has concentrated its efforts on projects related to basic access to primary health care (projects centered on rural health facilities and isolated populations), reduction of maternal mortality through improved quality of obstetric care, promotion of sexual and reproductive health rights including protection against gender-based violence, provision of Mental Health and Psychosocial Support (MHPSS) and reduction of malnutrition.
After a period of uncertainty, the mission has recently significantly grown. Although the Covid-19 pandemic was a challenge for the teams and the programming, in 2020 and 2021 it has expanded with its current programming in Semera (Afar) and Chinaksen (Oromia) where MdM France leads a consortium with COOPI and MdM Germany, and solid prospects for intervention in connection with the conflict in some parts of the country. The mission has also reshaped after the handover of its project in Somali region to MdM Germany in May 2021. Towards the end of 2022, security situation in Tigray region improved following peace agreement and in 2023, MdM plans to intervene in Tigray, to provide integrated primary healthcare services.
Duty station: Ethiopia, Addis Ababa
Employment Term: 10 months contract with possibility of extension
Basic Salary: 56,160.00 ETB
Reported to: Medical coordinator
Required positions:1 (One)
He/she will be responsible for ensuring GBV activities are integrated within the medical services package delivered to IDPs and host population in MdM’s clinics or supported Ministry of Health PHCC. He/she will follow-up the smooth implementation of MdM strategy for the response to GBV in Ethiopia in close collaboration with the MHPSS Coordinator. She / he will receive the support of the medical coordinator and GBV referent.
Essential duties and responsibilities.
Support the provision of services to GBV survivors in MdM operational sites (MdM clinics, MOH PHCC)
- Based on the Ethiopian context, and in line with MdM overall strategy, for the response to GBV, implement and suggest adjustments to MdM strategy on GBV, in close collaboration with the Medical coordinator, MHPSS coordinator, and GBV Technical Advisor at HQ.
- Promote actively the GBV component within MdM program team to ensure that they perfectly adhere to MdM strategy on GBV in the interest of the survivors.
- Advise the clinic team (medical, psychologists, case workers) on ensuring the implementation of the planned activities, including emergency medical care, mental health and psychosocial support, and appropriate referral mechanisms following guidelines and strategy, through the medical coordinator.
- Ensure the quality of activities through regular monitoring and technical support of clinic team (medical, psychologists, case workers), data collection and management, and provide guidance in case of difficulties.
- Carry out and update a mapping of all actors responding to GBV and develop a strong network to foster information exchange and synergies.
- Participate actively, in coordination activities, with other actors to ensure safe referral for GBV survivors and make sure MdM internal referral pathway respects the guiding principles of the response to GBV.
- Coordinate with MdM’s national partners for the implementation of the sensitization & awareness raising component in MdM intervention locations in Ethiopia.
- Support and follow-up the community mobilization activities in close collaboration with MdM team, MdM local partners, GBV actors as well as other stakeholders (e.g., community leaders)
- In close collaboration with the health program managers, define the communication strategy and communication mediums (radio, press, posters, leaflets)
Human resources, capacity building / training
- Ensure technical supervision of the GBV case workers and/or GBV case officers, provide technical support to the healthcare facility staff (medicals, psychologists) involved in the provision of services to the GBV survivors in all MdM intervention areas.
- Identify staff and partners’ training needs, related to GBV, and provide capacity building in line with MdM’s training materials available.
- Provide technical support to MdM partner for the smooth implementation of sensitization & awareness raising activities and the definition of key messages.
- Collaborate with the Medical coordinator, MHPSS Coordinator and health program managers, to set up trainings and follow-up of the activities, towards survivors of GBV.
Communication & advocacy
- Participate in the development of external and internal communication tools to promote MdM operational model for the response to GBV in humanitarian settings.
- Take part, if necessary, with the MdM team, partners or other actors in advocacy activities.
- Participate in the dissemination of MdM’s approach, results and lessons learnt.
Reporting, information management, coordination / representation
- Make sure the GBV data collection system is in place, respect confidentiality and safety and that GBV data collection tools are properly used and indicators monitored (for both medical and MHPSS aspects)
- Share with medical coordinator, any difficulties met in the field and propose solutions or adjustments.
- Participate in internal MdM meetings.
- Participate in the GBV sub sectors meetings and actively contribute to coordination and provide a written meeting report to the medical coordinator.
- If needed, participate in meetings with the State Ministry of Health or other stakeholders involved in GBV.
- Contribute to MdM monthly sitrep.
- Contribute to the development of new proposals or reports to donors.
Educational Qualification and Professional Experience
- Degree in relevant field (Nursing, public health, social work, development studies, humanitarian affairs, or related social sciences disciplines).
- Demonstrated 2-3 years professional experience in humanitarian settings, including at least 1 year of direct program management of GBV programs in the field.
- Excellent knowledge of international standards and guidelines on GBV in humanitarian settings and ability to implement GBV response in accordance with the guidelines.
- Knowledge, skills, and experience in providing/leading services to survivors of gender-based violence using a survivor-centered and multi-sectoral approach.
- Knowledge, skills, and experience in implementing primary prevention of GBV, ideally in coordination with local organizations.
- Good knowledge of WHO ethical data sharing guidelines.
- Strong skills in Microsoft Office.
Skills and qualities required.
- Individual and group training skills in GBV and SEA.
- Ability to take initiative, work independently and foster a team environment.
- Strong organizational, oral and written communication and coordination skills.
- Excellent project design and proposal development skills and developing tools for cross-organizational sharing of best practices.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Good sense of diplomacy and understanding of international global political issues.
- Fluent both English and Amharic language
How to Apply
Interested applicants are required to fill the application form through the following link
https://forms.gle/T3hqY7V1yvtuT1mg9 (Note: All the information that provided in the form is true and accurate) and submit your CV with Cover letter through firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject GBV Technical Advisor
NB: *Only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted.
*Female applicants are highly encouraged to apply
* We will only accept applicants who agree on the salary and length contract mentioned above.
For more vacancy alerts like this Médecins Du Monde -France Vacancy Announcement join us on Telegram