Evaluation Research Assistants (ERA) – Mekelle University Vacancy Announcement, April 2 2023
Organization: Mekelle University
Position: Evaluation Research Assistants (ERA)
Date of Announcement: 30 March 2023
Deadline: April 10 2023
Vacancy: Evaluation Research Assistants (ERA)
Duration of work: 6 month with possible extension
Tentative start date: Immediately
Number of posts: 09
Station: Tigray region, in one of the nine primary hospitals (Mekoni, Adishihu, Adigudom, Hagere-selam, Atsibi, Edaga-Arbi, Wukro-maray, Adi-daero and Selekleka)
End date: 10 April 2023
ln partnership with Addis Ababa, Emory, and Hawassa Universities as well as federal Ministry of and Tigray regional health bureau Mekelle University (college of health sciences) has been implementing Saving Little Lives (SLL) project to significantly reduce neonatal mortality in Tigray region. The project was funded by Global Financing Facility and managed by UNICEF Ethiopia Office. The project aimed to reduce neonatal mortality in general and mortality among preterm and low-birth weight babies in particular through provision of clinical mentorship, supportive supervision/ follow up and basic training for care – providers working at labor and delivery. Neonatal Intensive care unit (NICU), Kangaroo Mother Care (KMC) and quality improvement (QI). The project will cover 75% of the hospitals (Tertiary, General and primary) in Tigray region in three phases. The project will have nine evaluation sites (primary hospitals) to monitor and evaluate the key outcome indicators of the project.
The Evaluation Research Assistant (ERA) will independently assess, record and report the study outcomes using the protocol for outcome assessment given by the study investigators. The ERA will be responsible for completing and electronically submitting outcome reporting forms for each young infant indicated in the studies. The ERA will strictly follow the standard operating procedure (SOP) and protocols laid out by the study investigators to ensure the study activities are implemented as per the standards and high-quality data are generated. Key evaluation indicators will be collected from babies’ first day of birth up to discharge in person from labor and delivery, ICU and KMC and at 29th day of birth via phone call.
Specific roles and responsibilities include
The evaluation Research Assistant (ERA) will;
• Base at one of the aforementioned hospital and visit labor and delivery ward, NICU and KMC units.
• Collect data on the SLL’s relevant indicators from patient charts, registers and log books, and interview eligible mothers at the labor and delivery (L & D), neonatal intensive care (NICU), and kangamo mother care (KMC) units.
• Provide, professional support to the labor and delivery (L & D), neonatal intensive care (NICU), and kangaroo mother care (KMC) units each day to ensure implementation Of SLL, minimum care packages.
• Complete data collection forms electronically on key evaluation indicators from labor and delivery, NICU , KMC units on daily bases and submitting the data to server on weekly basis.
• Work with the Evaluation Coordinator to plan and implement further study activities at site level.
• Make a weekly call to health centers in the selected hospitals’ catchment to collect data on the SLL relevant indicators,
• Provide hands on support to the labor and delivery (L&D), neonatal intensive care (NICU). and kangaroo mother care (KMC) unit staff on accurate and complete preterm and LBW service data recording.
• Make sure relevant patient charts, registers, and log books are available and used by the labor and delivery (L & D), neonatal intensive care (NICU), and kangaroo mother care (KMC) unit staff.
• Attend routine virtual meetings and routinely communicate with the Evaluation Coordinator.
• Work with other study team members, hospital staffs and Evaluation Coordinator to promptly identity and resolve challenges.
• Ensure generation and use of high-quality data on SLL relevant indicators
• Ensure other tasks given by the Evaluation Coordinator
• BSc Degree in Nursing, Midwifery, Health officer, and other health related fields from accredited higher institution.
• Cumulative GPA >3
• No work experience is required
• Good written skill and verbal fluency in English and Tigrigna is required.
• Problem-solving, communication, and teamwork skills is necessary.
• Ability to handle and prioritize multiple project activities, balance conflicting priorities.
• Handle information data and information appropriately and confidentially
• Willingness to be assigned and base in the above mentioned 09 hospitals
• Familiarity with the Ethiopian health system, and Regional Health Bureau is preferred.
Evaluation Coordinator at College of Health sciences, Mekelle University
Gender Empowerment: Female applicants are highly welcomed with 5 points Plus
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates for the positions stated above are required to submit their letter specifying for the specific study site they are applying, application letter, CV, and relevant credentials (such as level IV COC and transcript) to Ayder Comprehensive Specialized Hospital, college of health sciences human resource.
For more vacancy alerts like this Mekelle University Vacancy Announcement, join us on Telegram