EMA IRB Secretary – Ethiopian Medical Association Vacancy Announcement, September 20 2023
Organization: Ethiopian Medical Association
Position: EMA IRB Secretary
Location: Addis Ababa
Employment: Part time
Deadline: Oct 3, 2023
The Ethiopian Medical Association (EMA) is one of the first professional associations in Ethiopia. The Association has been formally established on July 2, 1962 G.C with 100 founding members and through a formal charter granted to it by the then Emperor Haile Selassie I and is member of World Medical Association since 1994 G.C.
EMA’s head office is based in Addis Ababa and has a presence in five regions represented by its 13 regional branch offices (Gonder, Mekelle, Bahir Dar, Dessie, Jimma, Adama, Harare, Hawassa, Arba Minch, Ambo and Assosa). EMA has been operational for over 60 years on promoting quality of medical service in Ethiopia and evidence-based medicine through publishing the Ethiopian Medical Journal (EMJ). The mission of the association is to: Ensure that the community gets quality health service and care; Promote the highest standards in medical education, science, art and practice and Ensure the rights and benefits of medical professionals (doctors) and act as their voice
Thus, the association would like to invite experienced and competent candidates for the following listed vacant posts:
The IRB Secretariat Officer will support the IRB of the Ethiopian Medical Association by ensuring a good and timely implementation of IRB activities including but not limited to (a) managing the IRB office activities, (b) archiving documents, (c) coordinating IRB meetings, and (d) communicating with IRB stakeholders under the supervision of the IRB chairperson.
Job Description of the Secretariat Officer of the IRB.
An institutional review board (IRB) is a committee that reviews and approves research involving human subjects. The purpose of an IRB is to protect the rights and welfare of human subjects involved in research. IRBs are required by federal law for all research involving human subjects conducted.
IRBs play an important role in protecting the rights and welfare of human subjects involved in research. By reviewing research proposals and ensuring that research is conducted ethically, IRBs help to ensure that research is conducted in a way that benefits society while protecting the rights of human subjects.
The Institutional Review Board (IRB) Secretariat Officer provides administrative support to the IRB and its members. The IRB Secretariat Officer is responsible for ensuring that the IRB meets all federal and state regulations and requirements.
- Informing and advising the principal investigators, sponsors, and new IRB members of applicable regulations, guidelines, processes, and procedures (Communicate with IRB applicants and investigators)
- Managing the timely progress of protocol review through initial and continuing contacts with Principal Investigators. This includes identifying and requesting missing documentation in applications and preparing the completed file for review based on SOP( Standard Operating procedure);
- Preparing the meetings of the IRB, including the distribution of relevant documentation to the members, scheduling the meetings, and ensuring the quorum (Manage the IRB’s meeting schedule and agenda/Taking minutes of IRB meetings)
- In close collaboration with the chairperson of the IRB, preparing applications that will be evaluated through expedited review;
- Following up with tasks that the IRB requests the principal investigators to perform such as progress reports, final reports, corrective actions, amendment of the approved protocol or consent documents, etc.;
- In close collaboration with the secretary of the IRB, preparing minutes of IRB meetings;
- In close collaboration with the chairperson of the IRB, preparing reports of IRB meetings and annual reports of IRB activities. The annual report includes information about the sources of funding and expenses of the IRB;
- In close collaboration with the chairperson and members of the IRB, seeking grants to support the activities of the IRB;
- Record keeping, including maintaining research protocols and all correspondence in relation to their review, as well as records of any continuing oversight that may be required after approval. The Officer ensures that the confidentiality of IRB records is maintained (Review and approve IRB applications)
- Facilitating access to literature and educational programs useful to the members of IRB;
- Updating information about IRB membership, including declarations of potential conflicts of interest;
- Performing other duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor or the IRB Chairperson, as appropriate in light of the IRB Officer’s training, expertise, capacity, and resources. Such responsibilities may include keeping abreast of developments in research ethics and regulation, engaging in training and community outreach, serving as a liaison between the IRB and the research community, and facilitating the implementation of quality improvement and quality assurance programs. (Provide support to the IRB Chair and other IRB members/ Conduct research ethics training for investigators)
- Perform other activities assigned by immediate supervisors.
- 1 Education and Qualification
- MD/BSc/BA in Public health, Law or Business related profession.
- Minimum for MD zero year of experience and others one year of health related experience with strong research ethics and skills for others.
- Experience in an international NGO environment is desired.
Competencies/ Personal attributes
- Demonstrate commitment to the vision, mission, core values, aims and principles of EMA.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and foster trust and respect.
- Being self-motivated and highly organized, detail oriented
- Being flexible and able to work well under pressure.
- Having strong desire and skills to work with other as a team.
- Having good communication skill( both orally and written)
- Having good facilitation and coordination skills
Required Skills & Abilities:
- Having dependable research and publication skill.
- Having strong editorial skills.
- Having strong statistical software utilization.
- Strong MS office and the ability to use new technologies.
- Consistency demonstrating accuracy and preciseness.
- Fluency in spoken and written English.
How to Apply