Drop-In-Center Counsellor (DIC) – Nikat Charitable Association Vacancy Announcement, July 29 2023
Organization: Nikat Charitable Association
Position: Drop-In-Center Counsellor (DIC)
Location: Addis Ababa
Deadline: August 8, 2023
About Nikat Charitable Association
Nikat Charitable Association (Nikat) is the only sex workers-led organization (NGO) in Ethiopia, established in April 2010 by 5 women formerly involved in transactional sex. Nikat is registered as an Ethiopian Residents Charity with license number 1758 as per the legislation 621/2009. Nikat however, was first established as a CBO in 2006 named as “Nikat Women’s Association” and in 2010 it graduated to NGO: making the association pioneer in its field.
Nikat is the winner of the “2010 Red Ribbon Award”, on the XVII International AIDS Conference, organized by UNAIDS in collaboration with Letiner Center, The Global Fund and Irish Aid, which was held in Vienna, Austria. Nikat received the award for its outstanding community leadership in reaching HIV+ girls, men and women involved in transactional sex.
Currently Nikat has 5 permanents and 10 temporary employees. Nikat is established with the endeavor to fight against poverty and HIV/AIDS in Ethiopia. It has been focused on reducing the transmission of HIV/STIs among Most at Risk People (MARPs) including sex workers and their clients, out-of-school youth, long distance truck drivers, People living with HIV (PLHIV) through the following programs:
About The Role
A Counselor, or Health Counselor, works with sex workers to help them overcome and manage different health, social and emotional challenges. Their duties include meeting with sex workers to listen to their problems, or emotional challenges and building counselling plans.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
- Perform initial evaluations of sex worker’s health needs and develop customized treatment plans.
- Provide MARPs friendly counseling services as related to enhancing health seeking behaviors and promoting services including to HTC, STI, ART and other RH services and behavioral change services to build their skills of proper condom use and disposal, negotiation skills, STI knowledge, personal communication skills with sexual partners, reducing drug and alcohol abuse.
- Assist and Counsel the sex workers on stress and trauma coping mechanisms.
- Facilitate targeted health education and risk reduction counselling
- Provide individuals with the resources they need to reach personal goals.
- Coordinate with social workers and peer mobilizers, healthcare providers and community outreach programs to provide sex workers with needed services.
- Provide timely coordination and guidance in the delivery of SRHR services for female sex workers.
- Reduce stigma and discrimination and promote health and wellbeing, including a strong commitment to the unique contributions of peer support and empowerment.
- Building effective relationships and working collaboratively with internal and external colleagues to deliver shared outcomes.
- Ensure that referrals and networking between Nikat and service providers and implement a referral system using referral slips for sex workers.
- Properly collect counseling data using data collection tools and reporting formats and properly tracked and documented with appropriate formats and registry books; if necessary, review data collection tools and reporting formats.
- Properly document and report best practices and success stories
These essential functions are not to be interpreted as a complete statement of all duties performed. Employees will be required to perform other job-related duties as required. All work responsibilities are subject to having performance goals and/or targets established.
Reports To: Head of Program
Location: Addis Ababa
Terms Of Employment: Contractual
- Experience working in sexual health, health promotion and the social determinants of health, or similar.
- Education: BA in the area of Nursing, Public health, psychology and related fields
- Experience: 1+ plus years of relevant experience or 1+ year volunteer or temporary work experience
- NGO Experience or working with sex workers program is an asset
- Training in SRHR and HIV VCT is an advantage
- Skills in counselling and promoting SRHR services
- Knowledge of the sexual and reproductive health rights, gender equality, girl’s rights
- Working under pressure
- A high level of attention to detail and problem-solving skill
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Proven numeracy and data analysis skills
How to Apply
Those who meet the above requirements should submit their short CV (maximum of 3 pages) and a cover letter (maximum 1 page) addressing email@example.com, Jowg2009@gmail.com, firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject DIC Counsellor for 10 consecutive days from 27/07/2023 to 05/08/2023.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
For more vacancy alerts like this Nikat Charitable Association Vacancy Announcement, join us on Telegram