Associate – Nutrition & Food Security, UNHCR Vacancy Announcement; May 19 2023
Position: Associate – Nutrition & Food Security
Employment: Full-Time, Contract
Place of Work: Gambela Region, Ethiopia
Application Deadline: June, 04/2023
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Nutrition and Food Security Associate support UNHCR efforts in ensuring that international standards are met to protect and correct nutritional status and minimise avoidable morbidity and mortality among affected populations of concern (POC) in the country.
The incumbent provides timely technical support to UNHCR senior management and partners on nutrition and food security programming in line with global and national technical standards, and supports nutrition and food security monitoring and assessments.
The Nutrition and Food Security Associate normally report to a more senior Programme, Public Health, Nutrition and Food Security staff.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Support the design and implementation of nutrition and food security programmes based on up-to-date assessment and identification of needs in support of national health systems.
- Support the planning and implementation of UNHCR Standardized Expanded Nutrition Surveys, and joint food security assessments with WFP and partners.
- Support staff and partners to implement the Health Information Systems, SENS database, and Post Distribution Monitoring.
- Analyse and interpret related nutrition, food security and health data for reporting and advocacy and support the exchange and analysis of information on nutrition and food security at the national level with government and other partners.
- Provide technical assistance on nutrition and food security to UNHCR’s staff and partners.
- Advise on matters related to procurement of sector-related materials and equipment, and regular updates on new development and specifications of such items.
- Work with stakeholders, including UN agencies, NGOs, Ministries of Health and academic institutions in the development of Nutrition and food security plans associated with refugee movements (including in repatriation programmes).
- Maintain and update contingency plans for potential outbreaks, refugee and returnee movements.
- Advocate with government and partners for refugees, returnees and other POC¿s access to local public health and nutrition services as well as for their inclusion as a specific group in government policies, plans and social protection programmes.
- Undertake and/or support capacity strengthening of UNHCR and its implementing partners to ensure the technical integrity of nutrition and food security programmes in a coordinated, multi-sectoral way.
- Ensure close coordination with other humanitarian actors involved in nutrition, food security and related areas.
- Undertake regular missions to camps in order to support, monitor and evaluate the implementation of nutrition activities to ensure quality services.
- Perform other related duties as required
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
- For G6 – 3 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 2 years relevant work experience with Bachelor’s or equivalent or higher
Certificates and/or Licenses
- Public Health; Nutrition; Food Security;
Relevant Job Experience
- Knowledge and experience in working in the area of nutrition (including Community Management of Acute Malnutrition) and food security with UNHCR or partners. Proven technical expertise in the area of nutrition and food security assessments and programme design. Experience in the collection and use of routine health and nutrition monitoring data. Analytical and creative thinking abilities with a solutions-oriented approach. Ability to provide formal and informal technical training to partner staff. Strong communication skills both verbal and in writing. Proficiency in computer software such as Excel, PowerPoint, and Word.
- Experience in multi-sectoral nutrition programming including understanding and experience in public health, WASH, agriculture and cash programming.
- IT-Computer Literacy
- NU- Nutrition
- Nu-Food Supplements, Smart Methodology, CMAM, IYCF Voucher Cash Transfer
- NU-Nutrition Treatment & Prevention of Micronutrient Deficiencies and Anaemia
- PG-Programme Management (programme cycles and reporting standards)
- For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
- For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
- For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
How to Apply
To Apply for this vacancy Click on the ‘Apply Now’ button below. Please make sure that you have read the requirements section very well before you apply.
For more vacancy alerts like UNHCR vacancy announcement, join us on Telegram